Brand Name vs No Name - Tires

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run China tires on our tri drives. All the scrubbing it don't matter if you buy the good ones or not. Steer tires are different story. 445 rubber is hard to get a good one that will balance in China town. As far as our pick up we have found a couple different tires to be really good. 1/2 the price and seem to last just as long as name brand. Have had some that wear quickly though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CT buys a train load of tires every year built to there specs same as costco. I have been selling tires for 35 years ... there is a difference.
So the K02's I bought at costco aren't the same as the K02's I buy at Kal Tire?

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the K02's I bought at costco aren't the same as the K02's I buy at Kal Tire?
That right
Bought michelin tires from costco years back saved a few bucks over real tire shops.
They sh!t the bed, still had lots of tread left but had bulges on the sides of 2 tires. Got under 60k out if them. The michelin tires I had on the same vehicle before I got close to 100k out of them.
After that I will never get tires from costco or ct.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people say they get 80- 100 thousand km's on duratracs with heavy trucks. Best I've ever gotten was 60-70 thousand on a dodge 3/4 hemi, and that's worn down more than they should have been. I don't mind the tires performance though. Didn't buy them at Canadian tire either.
11 months and 80k on my latest set right now on a F350. If it was spring I could easily get another 30k but l want fresh rubber heading into winter. I'm tired (pun intended) of the DT noise so going to try something different. Tires have gone up 25%.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11 months and 80k on my latest set right now on a F350. If it was spring I could easily get another 30k but l want fresh rubber heading into winter. I'm tired (pun intended) of the DT noise so going to try something different. Tires have gone up 25%.

What are you leaning to buying?

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are running, Falken Wildpeaks AT3Ws on all our one tons and a dually and they have been great tires at a resonable price. Yes tires have increased by 30% in the last two years and many you may like will not be in stock so make sure you have a few options. Happy Tire shopping lots to choose from now days thats forsure.
Damn, those were my second choice. I think they were $60 more per tire though.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn, those were my second choice. I think they were $60 more per tire though.
I have the also had awesome results with the wild peaks, on haftons, 3/4 ton, and now on my one ton,

Also have a friend that has 10-12 trucks 2500 and 3500 and that's all he buys, not many times he doesn't have a trailer hooked on and regularly sees 80,000km a set.

Currently have a set of the Nitto Exo grapplers on my halfton as Kal had a special this spring on them for $1300 installed in 275/70/18LT. They grip nice, but are definitely noisy. No comment on how they are in the snow/ice yet.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the also had awesome results with the wild peaks, on haftons, 3/4 ton, and now on my one ton,

Also have a friend that has 10-12 trucks 2500 and 3500 and that's all he buys, not many times he doesn't have a trailer hooked on and regularly sees 80,000km a set.

Currently have a set of the Nitto Exo grapplers on my halfton as Kal had a special this spring on them for $1300 installed in 275/70/18LT. They grip nice, but are definitely noisy. No comment on how they are in the snow/ice yet.
The exo's are what I was looking to put on this fall before deciding on a studded winter. I will be looking to put some on in the same size as you this spring though so would be curious on your thoughts.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are running, Falken Wildpeaks AT3Ws on all our one tons and a dually and they have been great tires at a resonable price. Yes tires have increased by 30% in the last two years and many you may like will not be in stock so make sure you have a few options. Happy Tire shopping lots to choose from now days thats forsure.

How are they on ice? I know they are not an ice tire, but how do they perform, do they have the snow triangle on them?

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run wildpeaks on my tundra and didn't care for them in snow and ice compared to winter tires. Saying that I do tend to drive a little fast for the conditions and winters hold the corners way better.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are they on ice? I know they are not an ice tire, but how do they perform, do they have the snow triangle on them?
Yes they have the triangle on them, work pretty good in the winter, better on the heavier truck vs the halfton...

Put 2 winters on them in my halfton, took em off after 90,000km

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they have the triangle on them, work pretty good in the winter, better on the heavier truck vs the halfton...

Put 2 winters on them in my halfton, took em off after 90,000km

Might have to look into them, I like the duratracs, but never found them great on ice, have you ran the duratracs before?

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the can tire duratracs. They seem to wear fairly quick. I run them only as a winter tire.
Thinking about trying the copper discoverer S/T Maxx or the general grabber A/TX. Both are studdable.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My bro in law does well abandonments, he pounds out 80k on any set of tires, a couple of times a year, he buys Chinese for the summer and studded duratracs for the winter.

My buddy has a company in NE Calgary that specializes in knock offs. I just put on 6 Firestone on my dually for $1000 all in. That is my price, but he is fair with whatever you need, especially if he has them in stock

Top Bottom