Brand Name vs No Name - Tires

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a tire thread in some time....
Found our Santa Fe with a nail in the tire. Un repairable, too close to the sidewall. Have to replace all 4. Anyone have any real world experience with tire brands not Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?
Do a tire search, it looks like you're shopping on Amazon, full of brands I've never heard of before.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a tire thread in some time....
Found our Santa Fe with a nail in the tire. Un repairable, too close to the sidewall. Have to replace all 4. Anyone have any real world experience with tire brands not Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?
Do a tire search, it looks like you're shopping on Amazon, full of brands I've never heard of before.

Here’s my take on Chinese tires. They last 1/2 as long and cost 1/2 the price however shop time is doubled. My dad had bough a used 3500 dodge with comforcers 3000s I think. You could actually watch those tires wear down on weeks with lots of km put on. Once they were wore down I put a set of used 75% left Mickey Ts atz on it. Those mickeys even tho they were at 75% easily did 2 times the km.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Halfway over to “no-name” there is Rovelo.

Had good results with winters on sedans and SUVs like your Santa Fe.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like to cheap out on tires, they are the only part of the vehicle actually touching the road. The lowest I've gone is putting some Sumitomo winters on the wife's sedan but they are still made in Japan and have been fantastic traction wise, as good as any of the Nokian's I have ran and better than Michelins or Bridgestones.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chrisco had a picture on Facebook along time ago with Chinese tire needing 38oz of weight to balance them lol. One guy I know had them on his truck 3 wore really good but one wore out crazy fast lol. My wife had a half ton dodge with cheap Chinese tires and they rode like steel wheels. Put some Goodyears on there and was night and day. If I was selling the vehicle I’d put them on. But not if I was planning on actually driving it.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put take off run flats on the wife's Santa Fe... saved me twice this summer... she can drive it home with the nail in the tire lol Check kijiji if you're looking to save a buck, might get name brands for the same as knockoffs.

on the other hand, I have a buddy rocking the Thor Ragnorok mudders from Grizzly truck all year and loving it lol....

I've gotta pull the trigger on winter truck tires soon... maybe see what OK tire in Stony has to offer you?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all Chinese tires are the same. Some are good, some not so much. Find some reviews. Myself wouldn't put them on my duramax because I like duratracs and get great mileage. But other vehicles, probable would. As and example, we are using Chinese forklift tires now, get the same hours on them as the Michelins and save $12,000 per set.
A LOT of semis are running chinese tires now. The only ones I consistently see not using them are the fuel tankers.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sailun trailer tires and they are fantastic, I would put them up against G637 good year anyday. I work with a lot of tank drivers and have had this discussion to, lots feel that at 50% of the price you cant afford to buy michelins when chances are before the tire is wore out it will fail in another method like a puncture or seperation etc.. Mind you this is oilfield trucking. Most guys will not cheap out on steer tires, 50% ish do chinese rears and 50% do brand names it seems. Also some have mentioned depending on trailer position and driving/cornering habits it doesn't make sense to drag expensive tires when doing hard corners.

For a car I believe there is a difference for sure to spend the money

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sailun trailer tires and they are fantastic, I would put them up against G637 good year anyday. I work with a lot of tank drivers and have had this discussion to, lots feel that at 50% of the price you cant afford to buy michelins when chances are before the tire is wore out it will fail in another method like a puncture or seperation etc.. Mind you this is oilfield trucking. Most guys will not cheap out on steer tires, 50% ish do chinese rears and 50% do brand names it seems. Also some have mentioned depending on trailer position and driving/cornering habits it doesn't make sense to drag expensive tires when doing hard corners.

For a car I believe there is a difference for sure to spend the money
I have a set of newer 10 play Sailun tires on my son's truck and can't get one balance correctly. We put new winter Nokian's on his truck and no balance issues. In the spring we plan on taking the chinese tires back to the shop in Calgary to try to get them balanced correctly. IF not they will get replaced

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will only run Cooper ST Maxx on my truck. I don't ask the price and I won't let tire guy even mention another brand. I drive lots of Gravel and always get 70000kms or more before I need to replace them. I could probably run them even longer if I wanted. Awesome on ice and mud. Nothing comes close. On my farm trucks it's another story. Those get used tires, Chinese tires, whatever holds air.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of Imperial eco-north studded winters for the wife’s palisade. I’ll put them on next set of days off & see how well they last.
78D70DFE-EE78-4ACC-B3BA-8A5BCB49AEB8.png

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brand name tires here, I won't even consider an off-brand tire. I've had chinesium tires wear out fast, separate and be junk overall. Just picked up a like new set of Toyo GSI winter tires for the wife's VW Atlas for pretty cheap, we'll see how they do this winter.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even brand name tires can be different depending on where you buy them . I have seen a good year tire at CT have fewer 32nd of tread than at Fountain .

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people say they get 80- 100 thousand km's on duratracs with heavy trucks. Best I've ever gotten was 60-70 thousand on a dodge 3/4 hemi, and that's worn down more than they should have been. I don't mind the tires performance though. Didn't buy them at Canadian tire either.

Top Bottom