Brand Name vs No Name - Tires

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
102845B4-9BA9-4ECC-9E8F-E4FBBD2EE2C8.jpeg

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to look into them, I like the duratracs, but never found them great on ice, have you ran the duratracs before?
Yes I have, great in mud and deep snow, fuken terrible on ice, and noisy as all hell after about 45,000km.

They sure made a lot of smoke when I melted them off though after 80,000km.

Screenshot_20221028-224515_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20221028-224526_Snapchat.jpg

Snapchat-1271451233.jpg

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a fan of the Nitto Trail Grapplers but this last set that I bought were complete junk. Had a tough time balancing and wore like a piece of ch!t. Something changed.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The exo's are what I was looking to put on this fall before deciding on a studded winter. I will be looking to put some on in the same size as you this spring though so would be curious on your thoughts.
We run the exo's year round on our work trucks 3 hours travel a day high elevation mtn passes. I run dedicated toyo winters on my personal truck but the nittos are fairly decent for an all season tire being so soft.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the can tire duratracs. They seem to wear fairly quick. I run them only as a winter tire.
Thinking about trying the copper discoverer S/T Maxx or the general grabber A/TX. Both are studdable.
I letting you know the Wildpeaks AT3 will out perform both of those tires !

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the also had awesome results with the wild peaks, on haftons, 3/4 ton, and now on my one ton,

Also have a friend that has 10-12 trucks 2500 and 3500 and that's all he buys, not many times he doesn't have a trailer hooked on and regularly sees 80,000km a set.

Currently have a set of the Nitto Exo grapplers on my halfton as Kal had a special this spring on them for $1300 installed in 275/70/18LT. They grip nice, but are definitely noisy. No comment on how they are in the snow/ice yet.
Your bet were always pulling trailers and we rotate each oil and filter change 80 Km no problem. They grip vary well in winter pulling, all we run.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group is trying the Generals this year 16/32 of tread should have pretty good traction.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had duratracks with studs on my works truck for winter and all I can say is they are a great way shorten ones life when driving on icy roads, they were horrible.

I run studded Haks on my pick-up, they are so good on icy roads.

I have Chinese winter tires on my wifes truck since she never highway drives in the winter. They are 3yrs old and are starting to have cracks in the sidewalls already. They are stored indoors over the summer. Never again will I buy off brand Chinese tires. My last nokians were 10yrs old and had about the same amount of age cracking.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Had duratracks with studs on my works truck for winter and all I can say is they are a great way shorten ones life when driving on icy roads, they were horrible.

I run studded Haks on my pick-up, they are so good on icy roads.

I have Chinese winter tires on my wifes truck since she never highway drives in the winter. They are 3yrs old and are starting to have cracks in the sidewalls already. They are stored indoors over the summer. Never again will I buy off brand Chinese tires. My last nokians were 10yrs old and had about the same amount of age cracking.
I have Kal tire all season Nokians on my NV200, they have about 60K on them, all cracked up on sidewalls in 1.5 years. They offered me new tires under warranty, but I have to pay $ 360.00 Not much of a great warranty for junk tires that originally cost $ 430 installed. Ill replace them with another brand in the spring from another store. Nokians are hit and miss.

Last edited:

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Kal tire all season Nokians on my NV200, they have about 60K on them, all cracked up on sidewalls in 1.5 years. They offered me new tires under warranty, but I have to pay $ 360.00 Not much of a great warranty for junk tires that originally cost $ 430 installed. Ill replace them with another brand in the spring from another store. Nokians are hit and miss.
Kal tire is one of the most expensive place to buy tires or get tires repaired in the west. When we work in the field and get a flat or need repairs its the last place we go. They will not fix your tires and always tring to sell you a new tires. Last three flats we had this year they said the tire was no good. So we just go somewhere else and get them fixed and still running all three tires. Just our experence.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tire warranties are generally pro-rated, if they warranty to 80,000km and you have 60,000km on the tires generally you only get about 25% of the value of the tire back because that's the usable life left.

Kal-Tire isn't the cheapest place, but free balancing and rotations for the life of the tire is definitely worth something.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kal might be the cheapest but the free fat repair on my 10 year old tires winter tires helps justify the extra cost.

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bfg k02s on my daily and they are close to done at 75k, I have a couple of 550s that only see mine roads and I run Chinas all around, I’ve tried all brands and the chinas hold up as good as any of the name brands. On my road vehicles I run name brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, thanks to all on here with the ideas and referrals. After following up with several of them and researching the bigger stores, we went with a mom and pop shop in the south side. The big stores all had long waits and order back ups.
I ended up with a set a set of Nordman All Weathers. Called the shop, got the last set the warehouse had in stock, and had them installed the same week. The appointment was 5:30 on Friday, after hours. I showed up early in case they could fit me in, and help them get out a bit early too. With the appointments in from of me, my car rolled into the shop at exactly 5:30.
The new tires have been nothing short of awesome in the ice/snow chit we have now!
If you need a great tire shop and want to support a great small business, check out Stuarts Tire. If you are a CFL fan, you will be in for a surprise!

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, thanks to all on here with the ideas and referrals. After following up with several of them and researching the bigger stores, we went with a mom and pop shop in the south side. The big stores all had long waits and order back ups.
I ended up with a set a set of Nordman All Weathers. Called the shop, got the last set the warehouse had in stock, and had them installed the same week. The appointment was 5:30 on Friday, after hours. I showed up early in case they could fit me in, and help them get out a bit early too. With the appointments in from of me, my car rolled into the shop at exactly 5:30.
The new tires have been nothing short of awesome in the ice/snow chit we have now!
If you need a great tire shop and want to support a great small business, check out Stuarts Tire. If you are a CFL fan, you will be in for a surprise!
Stewart’s Tire, Grant is awesome to deal with , top notch service, huge Esks fan, I think he cheers for the Elks also

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group is trying the Generals this year 16/32 of tread should have pretty good traction.
Probably the best all around tire out there. No idea why some still run duracraps or bfgs?

Top Bottom