BCSF provincial membership "draft proposal".

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I responded and the post went silent. That definitely was not my intent :)
We just figured you had everything solved :)
That and I think.the peanut gallery sprained their brains on this one.

Any progress? What's the the timeline for this?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one thing the province needs to understand is how much money snowmobiling brings into BC. I would like to see the province fund more trails that connect different communities so guys could do a 3-4 day loop and stay in a different town every night. This could be partially funded by a provincial pass. I think a lot of out of province guys that only come out once a year for a week or so would like to buy a week long bc wide pass.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think people went silent they are just trying to absorb some the information you have provided.
By now all should be absorbed, if there isn't more input to help the BCSF develop this program we will have to accept what comes out of it without the usual bitching, because we all had our chance but chose to remain silent.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good discussion. Of interest to me, how many clubs asked for this and where was their geographical location? Some keep bringing up Ontario and Quebec but those are totally different situations. How many places in BC have or could have interconnecting trails? We, generally, aren't trail riding areas over long distances. We have a unique situation and it needs a unique solution.

It would be nice for people to be able have a "pass" that would allow for multiple area riding but then what would happen to the revenue of the clubs with their membership requirements? A provincial pass with it being compulsory to purchase a club membership prior to the provincial pass? That way the clubs would be self-sufficient and people would have the pleasure of travelling the province. The monies raised with the provincial pass could be distributed equitably.

Having been involved at the club and provincial level and talking to other jurisdictions seems that the models elsewhere are going to need a huge change to work in BC. The old methods that have been presented over the years have been beat to death and are pretty much guaranteed not to work. Discussion is good but not the same old, same old ideas.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have the document with me at work, but it seems to me this was modelled after Nova Scotia's plan?????? I could be wrong. In any case, I know our small club will have to go independent to survive if this goes through.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't have the document with me at work, but it seems to me this was modelled after Nova Scotia's plan?????? I could be wrong. In any case, I know our small club will have to go independent to survive if this goes through.

yes, there are a lot of places that will suffer. No connecting trails, not a lot of tourists (only local interest), and to pay a big membership just to keep the small club alive isn't a reality.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good discussion. Of interest to me, how many clubs asked for this and where was their geographical location? Some keep bringing up Ontario and Quebec but those are totally different situations. How many places in BC have or could have interconnecting trails? We, generally, aren't trail riding areas over long distances. We have a unique situation and it needs a unique solution.

It would be nice for people to be able have a "pass" that would allow for multiple area riding but then what would happen to the revenue of the clubs with their membership requirements? A provincial pass with it being compulsory to purchase a club membership prior to the provincial pass? That way the clubs would be self-sufficient and people would have the pleasure of travelling the province. The monies raised with the provincial pass could be distributed equitably.

Having been involved at the club and provincial level and talking to other jurisdictions seems that the models elsewhere are going to need a huge change to work in BC. The old methods that have been presented over the years have been beat to death and are pretty much guaranteed not to work. Discussion is good but not the same old, same old ideas.
The item you brought up in the first paragraph was indicated not to be feasible when we're asked to make comments on the plan. To travel province wide is not feasible and I certainly do not know all areas of the province but from area's in sicamous I can ride to 2 other area's managed by other clubs. If I chose to ride these area's should I pay full pop. There are quite a few people that ride all three lot's that do not even buy a day pass.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The item you brought up in the first paragraph was indicated not to be feasible when we're asked to make comments on the plan. To travel province wide is not feasible and I certainly do not know all areas of the province but from area's in sicamous I can ride to 2 other area's managed by other clubs. If I chose to ride these area's should I pay full pop. There are quite a few people that ride all three lot's that do not even buy a day pass.

Yes, your area is one of the inter-connecting areas. There may be some through the Caribou (Wells, 100 Mile, and up to PG). I don't know of others. As for paying full pop, that was my point. You could pick a club to join and pay a membership (at a pre-determined price), then you would be eligible for a Provincial Pass (at a predetermined price) that would allow you to ride multiple areas at no charge. The monies from the Provincial Pass would be divided up throughout the province (at a pre-determined rate). That way, moyiesledhead's small club would be able to continue to exist and if he so chose, he could purchase a Provincial Pass and ride anywhere in the province. This is not making the club membership compulsory, it is only compulsory for those who want to purchase the Provincial Pass.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to hear some thoughts or updates from some of the club leaders. We have 13/14 ish pages of end users trying to come up with solutions. Would be nice to hear from Revelstoke and Valemount in particular.
I know Curtis was on here at the start of the thread but havnt heard anything from him since.

We are kind of in the dark right now........

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Would be nice to hear some thoughts or updates from some of the club leaders. We have 13/14 ish pages of end users trying to come up with solutions. Would be nice to hear from Revelstoke and Valemount in particular.
I know Curtis was on here at the start of the thread but havnt heard anything from him since.

We are kind of in the dark right now........

That's why I asked the question, "which clubs wanted a provincial pass?" I'm quite sure it wasn't Revelstoke, Golden, Kelowna, Cranbrook, Fernie, and some of the other large clubs.

When I was on the executive of a medium sized club (a year ago), the idea of a provincial pass was not well received by the membership. Any of the clubs that groom a considerable amount of trail and maintain cabins cannot afford to have a reduction in revenue. The revenue sharing was never brought forward, so it would be good to hear from someone who has that information.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I asked the question, "which clubs wanted a provincial pass?" I'm quite sure it wasn't Revelstoke, Golden, Kelowna, Cranbrook, Fernie, and some of the other large clubs.

When I was on the executive of a medium sized club (a year ago), the idea of a provincial pass was not well received by the membership. Any of the clubs that groom a considerable amount of trail and maintain cabins cannot afford to have a reduction in revenue. The revenue sharing was never brought forward, so it would be good to hear from someone who has that information.
100 % the case

sent while drinking tea's

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to hear some thoughts or updates from some of the club leaders. We have 13/14 ish pages of end users trying to come up with solutions.

Ultimately we as end users are the voices they need to hear if there is going to be any support for this.
Unfortunately I don't think there is any chance of this achieving the BCSF's goal which I believe is to increase overall membership.
There are simply too many areas to ride in this province without the need for a membership to any club or organization, unless the government gets involved and makes it mandatory like registration it won't happen. jmo

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is a big topic and I have not participated in full as the group that I represent has not developed a formal opinion on the matter yet, as we are allowing the BCSF to continue working through the draft.

There are a very many things at play here although the key point ( that I believe is supported by everyone) was made above by catinthehat. BCSF needs to increase membership and the amount of membership in the province is embarrassing. Although I would like to think that there are more positive ways to increase participation and revenue numbers for the BCSF as they are such an important group of great people and their job (on our behalf) is likely only going to get more difficult. The are going to need support from the people that they represent....its only fair...and just makes sense.

Sorry, not the novel that you may have been expecting. Ill save that for the spring....

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from the grapevine that the original proposal was kept in file and looked at and is the baseline for this new draft.
I really don't remember much of the original but i'm trying to get it sent to me to over view it and jolt my memory. Even post it on here.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some great ideas and information in this thread. I can appreciate the concerns of the smaller clubs and hope an agreeable resolution for them can be found. However, I for one hope this goes through in some form to ensure all people have BCSF memberships. Everyone needs to be counted. I'm a transient rider of many clubs and in some years it is very hard to pick a membership. As a result I'll ride on day passes all season. I did buy my Golden Membership tonight as promised in another thread on this topic during the summer. I hope others do as well and this can be in effect for next season.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why the bcsf can't offer a mandatory membership to ride any groomed trails to access the backcountry and with it offer a liability policy similar to the bcwf
bcwf has a lot of perks that many people overlook

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I heard from the grapevine that the original proposal was kept in file and looked at and is the baseline for this new draft.
I really don't remember much of the original but i'm trying to get it sent to me to over view it and jolt my memory. Even post it on here.

The original proposal obviously had too many flaws in it (that was years ago) according to the movers and shakers. Just because it works down east doesn't mean it will work in unique BC. Are there good points in it? Probably and they can be incorporated but change has to be implemented to fit our unique situation.

Change from the clubs, change from the government, and change from the BCSF. As one can see from the 14 pages, it won't be easy. I agree with Curtis, if this is for membership growth, it isn't the correct way. Provincial Registration was supposed to be great and look at the small numbers (below 20%?). I believe the BCWF does have a lot of power, members, and ideas that are accepted by Victoria. Maybe they have a model to increase our membership?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, your area is one of the inter-connecting areas. There may be some through the Caribou (Wells, 100 Mile, and up to PG). I don't know of others. As for paying full pop, that was my point. You could pick a club to join and pay a membership (at a pre-determined price), then you would be eligible for a Provincial Pass (at a predetermined price) that would allow you to ride multiple areas at no charge. The monies from the Provincial Pass would be divided up throughout the province (at a pre-determined rate). That way, moyiesledhead's small club would be able to continue to exist and if he so chose, he could purchase a Provincial Pass and ride anywhere in the province. This is not making the club membership compulsory, it is only compulsory for those who want to purchase the Provincial Pass.
nothing will be resolved until next season at the earliest I bought my membership early to sicamous and then at a avalanche awareness presentation that was also a showcase for products from Brp,polaris and yamaha in salmon arm I bought a discounted hunters range membership. This club is being progressive and offering a discount that I do believe other clubs may not this year. Is revelstoke or sicamous doing the same I do not think so to my knowledge.

Top Bottom