BCSF provincial membership "draft proposal".

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The original proposal obviously had too many flaws in it (that was years ago) according to the movers and shakers. Just because it works down east doesn't mean it will work in unique BC. Are there good points in it? Probably and they can be incorporated but change has to be implemented to fit our unique situation.

Change from the clubs, change from the government, and change from the BCSF. As one can see from the 14 pages, it won't be easy. I agree with Curtis, if this is for membership growth, it isn't the correct way. Provincial Registration was supposed to be great and look at the small numbers (below 20%?). I believe the BCWF does have a lot of power, members, and ideas that are accepted by Victoria. Maybe they have a model to increase our membership?

LOL, obviously you've seen the original to know that. It never went anywhere because it was the same issue as today.....the lack of support by people who own sleds and refusing to join clubs.

nothing will be resolved until next season at the earliest I bought my membership early to sicamous and then at a avalanche awareness presentation that was also a showcase for products from Brp,polaris and yamaha in salmon arm I bought a discounted hunters range membership. This club is being progressive and offering a discount that I do believe other clubs may not this year. Is revelstoke or sicamous doing the same I do not think so to my knowledge.

I'm a member of the Hunters club, i was a member of several different clubs over the years and the Hunters Range organization is the only one i've experience that is progressive in offering a discount. Even other club member will be discounted. The only other place i have been discounted is at the coast and Merrit area.
Never at Revy or Sicamous, so i'm sure many others won't offer a discount, IMO, it's part of the reason people won't become members, there is no incentive by certain clubs to do so.

It has always appeared to me certain clubs need the monopoly of their area, unfortunately its not for the better good of the sport, never has been. Who wants to pay and be kept a prisoner to one riding area, when they could ride multi areas for a similar amount of money. Why bother joining. I would say the majority of BC sledders don't ride the same areas as many claim, but ride multi areas, thus one of the reason the lack of memberships throughout BC.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, obviously you've seen the original to know that. It never went anywhere because it was the same issue as today.....the lack of support by people who own sleds and refusing to join clubs.

I'm a member of the Hunters club, i was a member of several different clubs over the years and the Hunters Range organization is the only one i've experience that is progressive in offering a discount. Even other club member will be discounted. The only other place i have been discounted is at the coast and Merrit area.
Never at Revy or Sicamous, so i'm sure many others won't offer a discount, IMO, it's part of the reason people won't become members, there is no incentive by certain clubs to do so.
I did no the answer and was being a little bit leading to see if someone such as yourself would bring up this point. In the long run hunter's is taking a leadership roll and that will befit there selfs in the long run. You can be a member to less aggressive or small areas in the north or south oak valley and support that club as well as ride a large and more aggressive area like hunters without breaking the bank.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why the bcsf can't offer a mandatory membership to ride any groomed trails to access the backcountry and with it offer a liability policy similar to the bcwf
bcwf has a lot of perks that many people overlook
Membership in the BCSF does offer a liability policy similar to the bcwf. If our membership ever reaches into the hundreds of thousands then it will be even cheaper as well.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did no the answer and was being a little bit leading to see if someone such as yourself would bring up this point. In the long run hunter's is taking a leadership roll and that will befit there selfs in the long run. You can be a member to less aggressive or small areas in the north or south oak valley and support that club as well as ride a large and more aggressive area like hunters without breaking the bank.

I went riding in Sicamous Owls, one time and showed my membership to the girl collecting for a discount. She told me they don't recognize other club membership.
HAHAHA....what a broken system LOL

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revy has always offered me a discount on day passes for being a member of another BCSF club. Mike when you were looking for a discount from Sicamous was that still in the ABC/BCSF days?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so say I am not getting a club membership ship this year and I am gonna travel abroad on trail passes.

Is there currently a stand alone BCSF membership I could buy?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why the bcsf can't offer a mandatory membership to ride any groomed trails to access the backcountry

Because the Provincial Government would see that as exclusive access to crown land. Not allowed under current legislation.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revy has always offered me a discount on day passes for being a member of another BCSF club. Mike when you were looking for a discount from Sicamous was that still in the ABC/BCSF days?
Is this true on the season passes as well powder puff?

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Is this true on the season passes as well powder puff?

Revy does offer you a $5 discount off your daily trail pass when you show proof of BCSF membership. Ours are still $20. If your a member of another BCSF and purchase a Revy membership $27.50 the BCSF portion of any BCSF club is discounted from our membership. Best to do this online on BCSF site or in our office to prevent confusion.

Couldn`t you just purchase a BCSF membership and get a reduced rate at managed areas that do offer a discount?

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: BCSF provincial membership "draft proposal".

Revy does offer you a $5 discount off your daily trail pass when you show proof of BCSF membership. Ours are still $20. If your a member of another BCSF and purchase a Revy membership $27.50 the BCSF portion of any BCSF club is discounted from our membership. Best to do this online on BCSF site or in our office to prevent confusion.

Couldn`t you just purchase a BCSF membership and get a reduced rate at managed areas that do offer a discount?
Does Revy give $5 from every BCSF non member trail pass to the BCSF?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It appears one of the age old problems is arising again. There is a difference from a day pass and a membership (or as it used to be called a trail pass). A day pass is just that; a day pass in the range of $20-25. Some clubs discount $5 for BCSF members and some don't. I know that Sicamous doesn't and when I was in the Sea to Sky, Rutherford didn't give a reduction on daily trial passes.

A club membership can cost anywhere from $30-200. I am under the opinion that $26 and change (Powder puff says $27.50) goes to the BCSF and that only has to go to the BCSF once or for one club membership. So when buying a club membership, the first membership is the regular club price and the second and subsequent club memberships should be discounted $26 and change. There are no discounts presently with any club memberships but they should be reduced by the $26 and change if it is a second, third, or fourth membership.

As far as I know, all clubs provide members with the benefit of riding the groomed trails as often as one wants to for the cost of the club membership. So, if the club membership is $100 and the daily trail pass is $25, the break even point is 4 days of riding (if you get the $5 discount like Revy gives, you need to ride 5 days).

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

With the provincial agreement the clubs have on Crown land, the only thing the monies collected for daily trail passes can be used for is grooming and safety of the trails and area. That is set out by the Ministry of BC Recreation and Trails. moyiesledhead has explained that before.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com

No.
When we had a Grooming Society and were 2 separate entities, a $ from each pass went to BCSF up to a maximum of $4,000.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I went riding in Sicamous Owls, one time and showed my membership to the girl collecting for a discount. She told me they don't recognize other club membership.
HAHAHA....what a broken system LOL

Mike look at it this way. Each club is run like a private business and they set their own rules/procedures so they have money in the bank at the end of the year (there are no government bail outs for SnowCat motors or final drives) and a generous slush fund for maintenance. I didn't like the fact that I didn't get the $5 discount at Sicamous but that is the way they do it and the collector is just doing his/her job and following the rule.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure the bcsf liability only covers us while doing club functions getting firewood or grooming or poker run events please correct me if I'm wrong but that is what i was told technically the bcwf will cover me while sledding if i am enroute with my fishing rod

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Whatever happens, we all know it is going to cost us more money.

There are some people who want to save money and ride cheaper. That isn't going to happen. Costs of operations continue to rise. The government of BC is basically run by the lower mainland (environmental types) and there is very limited support from government for the millions of dollars that this sport drops into the province. Many want to see motorized transportation in the back-country vastly curtailed and even ended.

Numbers need to be generated and our voices need to be heard. Did the magical registration have an effect on numbers as hoped? Not at all. Voluntary membership is all that is available until the government legislates a change. That isn't going to happen anytime soon.

So, think about this scenario. A person buys a club membership and if they want to ride other areas, they can buy a Provincial Pass through the BCSF. To be able to buy a Provincial Pass, one has to be a club member (this should be able to implemented through the BCSf with no governmental involvement). The Provincial Pass could be offered at an introductory price and if it works the price could as required to meet the objectives . The funds generated from the Provincial Pass can be allocated on a pre-determined set of guidelines and distributed in various ways. The Provincial Pass would be honoured at all staging areas unless the club was an Independent (that might be another can of worms so to speak). A tracking system could be put in place to tally the amount of Provincial Passes that were honoured at the staging areas and reimbursement could be one of the criteria in the set of guidelines.

Maybe not perfect? Worthwhile considering? Flame away............................:cigar:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did thanks for the info

Top Bottom