2012 ctd

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do I need to wake up my truck? its stock. I want to do it for as low of cost as possible and keep it reliable. I was looking at Smarty tuners. What do I need with one of these.

I have been thinking about getting a programmer for a long time, I'm sick of driving a sluggish truck, and it feels like its getting worse. I took it to the dealer but that was a waste of my time.

Whats it gonna cost me to make it work like it should.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
H&S mini max and a DPF delete. Don't juice it up too much unless you do headstuds too as the turbos in those trucks create a ton of drive pressure on the hotter tunes.

B-Mac

Reaction score
I had my '09 ctd done at supreme diesel in sexsmith 2 years ago, cost $2600 for minimaxx and dpf delete. I didnt bother do the egr because they charged almost another $1000 for it. I believe the H&S prices have gone up a bit since then but man what difference it made to the truck. I'd do the exact same thing again.

B-Mac

Reaction score
I looked into the smarty tuners but was told by 2 shops they dont support the dpf/egr deletes, so the gains werent as good as using an h&s product with the deletes.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I had my '09 ctd done at supreme diesel in sexsmith 2 years ago, cost $2600 for minimaxx and dpf delete. I didnt bother do the egr because they charged almost another $1000 for it. I believe the H&S prices have gone up a bit since then but man what difference it made to the truck. I'd do the exact same thing again.

I think the ear delete for yours is around $500 parts and labour... From what I remember without looking it all up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the head studs at the same time. You might say you won't run the hot tune but they are so addictive. Better mileage and more power.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Efilive tune is $600(need someone local to program truck with their hardware). Up to your if you want to do the deletes, more power and response can be had with just a tune. For the delete add $250 for your basic race pipe pipe and some labour. No need to remove the egr, will shut it off in the tune and keep equipment on the engine. RaceME(smarty) is another option on your 12 as well as torque technologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B-Mac

Reaction score
I think the ear delete for yours is around $500 parts and labour... From what I remember without looking it all up

They were going to charge me 4 or 5 hrs to do the egr delete at $120 an hour. Then the cost of the parts on top of that. It didnt seem like it should take that long and i didnt feel good about it so i passed.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think H&S is shut down now and not sure if you can still get support for it

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SO which is better the efi live or bully dog tuner? with efi live, if I go to the dealer and they hook it to their computer do they erase my tune and im out 600?

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will never loose your tunes on efi live. they are on a programer like device(either v2 or autocal), or emailed to you. TBH im am completely one sided on efi live. research will persuade you.

HILCLMR

Reaction score
H&S out of business and not very reliable tuners.
Torque Tech are reverse engineered H&S.
Smarty, decent just no trans tuning capacity. Dpf / egr can still be deleted.
EFI live, delete capable, trans tuning available.
If your going with EFI live watch the vendor. $600 for just a tune is way too much. Go to rolling smoke diesel. com and check out what you can get.
These days local dosent mean squat when it comes to tunes. They are an email away.
my $0.02

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has deleted a couple 6.4's with the torque programmer. He says never again.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do I need to wake up my truck? its stock. I want to do it for as low of cost as possible and keep it reliable. I was looking at Smarty tuners. What do I need with one of these.

I have been thinking about getting a programmer for a long time, I'm sick of driving a sluggish truck, and it feels like its getting worse. I took it to the dealer but that was a waste of my time.

Whats it gonna cost me to make it work like it should.

How many clicks? Ever get your turbo and engine cleaned? My 2012 is far from sluggish and its stock.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50k. You just pressure wash the exterior of the turbo and engine with a degreaser or what? How many more hp does that give me, I suppose it depends on the degreaser. gonna go try mr clean magic eraser right now cause its all I got, mmay have to pick up some spray nine too.

It did work good when I got it butslowly went down hill. I have cleaned a few sensors but not the turb or engine.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50k. You just pressure wash the exterior of the turbo and engine with a degreaser or what? How many more hp does that give me, I suppose it depends on the degreaser. gonna go try mr clean magic eraser right now cause its all I got, mmay have to pick up some spray nine too.

It did work good when I got it butslowly went down hill. I have cleaned a few sensors but not the turb or engine.

No yah take it into the dealer and hook it up to a machine that cleans the internals on the egr turbo etc.

Some dealers have the machine to clean the dpf, which is removed off the truck to do.

50k isn't enough to have it done unless yah idle it alot.

Something sounds off with your truck, stock intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom