2007 rebuild (Pistons)

Jason

Reaction score
What are the best replacement piston and rings to use when rebuilding. I want close to stock as possible but I have been reading about double ring pistons is better.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RK-tek makes a good piston and i have heard MCB makes a pretty good dual ring piston.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used the mcb 2 ringers and so far [ 1200 miles ] still good to go

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the piston/rings in my 800R and went with the MCB's.

I read as much as I could about them and there are a few bad reports on the MCB's and SPI's.

There are a few reasons I went with them though. First was the price. For OEM piston kits (piston/rings/pins/bearings) and gaskets was just about $700 and they weren't in stock. MCB's to my door $350 and they arrived next day!

Secondly was the positive reports on the MCB's outnumbered the bad 10-1. They are well endorsed on the dootalk forum and by a few engine builders.

I wouldn't have simply gone with them because of the price if there was no good info on them. I could easily put in OEM pistons and have a ring fail on them just as easily.

In the back of my head I wonder if I made a good choice do to the price of the MCB's as hey it sounds too good to be true right? Well time will tell.

I guess if it wasn't mid season and I didn't have any faith in the MCB's I would simply put OEM back in. The motor will likely need a full rebuild next summer regardless with the way the bottom ends are on this sled. If I pop it prior just means an earlier end and hopefully not a heli ride out.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the mcb ones in both mine and old mans sled for this whole season. Running great so far!!:d:beer::d

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy just put wiescoes in his and it pulls fricken good and they were decently priced

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the RKTEK pistons in mine, they are very similarly priced to MCB, dual ring as well. Kelsey is fantastic to deal with!!!! Make sure that you install the caged needle bearings as well in the small end of the connecting rod(I don't think the cageless ones are even available). Also when taking off the stock pistons, you will have cageless needle bearings and two washers. Put your hand under the piston while pulling out wrist pin, attempt to catch all parts:d. There will be 25 needles and two washers!!!!

mtnrev

Reaction score
Better count the needles again you should have 28 just did mine and had 28 needles per piston.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh the 07 800r came stock with cagless bearings, if u have the 08 and newer updated engine it came with stock caged bearings....

Jason

Reaction score
O.K. now I'm worried about the needle bearings. I just pulled both of my pistons and I only got 25 out of each of them. So now is it 28 or 25???? I was extremely carefull pulling the wrist pin too after reading these posts.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if ya have the 07 800r it might have only 25...... the pistion pin is one size smaller than the 800ho....

but he 800 -600 ho's had 28....

Top Bottom