crank rebuild 2013 RMK pro 800

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
torque right away
So I got that brass bushing back in with the screw in it, I installed the oil seal then I put in the mechanical seal, and then when I tried to get the water pump shaft through the mechanical seal, it was a tight fit, appeared to be pushing the mechanical
seal too far, I took the shaft back out to inspect, and the oil seal spring has broken. What is the Install procedure for these components?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 34

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should install the oil pump seal, install the shaft then install the wps. there is a seal driver that has the depth set so when the wps is bottomed it is positioned on the shaft properly. it is suppose to be tight on the shaft. you need to have something holding the shaft on the oil pump side as you install the wps. its a bit of a trick.

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
you should install the oil pump seal, install the shaft then install the wps. there is a seal driver that has the depth set so when the wps is bottomed it is positioned on the shaft properly. it is suppose to be tight on the shaft. you need to have something holding the shaft on the oil pump side as you install the wps. its a bit of a trick.
Ok. So I’ve ordered a new seal and also the seal driver tool. If I install the oil seal insert the cross shaft and oil pump back on then use the seal driver tool it install the mechanical seal will the oil pump be strong enough to hold the shaft in place?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I’ve ordered a new seal and also the seal driver tool. If I install the oil seal insert the cross shaft and oil pump back on then use the seal driver tool it install the mechanical seal will the oil pump be strong enough to hold the shaft in place?
yes. but take your time and use a dead blow hammer. small steps man or you could fug up the pump.

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
yes. but take your time and use a dead blow hammer. small steps man or you could fug up the pump.
So I’ve got the cross shaft oil seal in and installed the mechanical seal with the seal driver tool required. I had the oil pump side on a block of wood with out the pump on so it wouldn’t get damaged. The shaft spins but is a lot harder to spin than when I took it apart. Is that normal? Also is the spring action on the mechanical seal supposed to move in and out any? It appears that my inner part of the mechanical seal is compressed all the way in and won’t come out that extra 8th inch of the spring movement.

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there should be a little spring action. the spring should not be fully compressed. if you think it is on a tad too far you can lightly tap the shaft back towards the oil pump side to gain a little. i am thinking the crank is still out of the case correct?

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
there should be a little spring action. the spring should not be fully compressed. if you think it is on a tad too far you can lightly tap the shaft back towards the oil pump side to gain a little. i am thinking the crank is still out of the case correct?
Correct the crank is still outside. Will the cross shaft then have a little play after I tap it out a bit?
OK so I gave it a light tap from the impeller side and it broke it free a little bit. Maybe a 16th of an inch

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct the crank is still outside. Will the cross shaft then have a little play after I tap it out a bit?
OK so I gave it a light tap from the impeller side and it broke it free a little bit. Maybe a 16th of an inch
thats probably fine now if you have a little springy action pushing on the shaft. if its too tight it will eat the new seal. sound like you gotter mang.

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
So the motor was pulled out of this unit when I purchased it unfortunately. I didn’t have the benefit of seeing where certain things went for the most part. In the new O-ring and gasket set I found three O-rings that I need help locating where. Two larger, same size ones and one smaller thinner one. it appears that the oil pump has an O-ring that needs to be replaced and also the bushing that connects the oil pump And goes around the cross shaft, for the water pump has the same size O-ring, but they only gave me one of that size. Thinking about putting it on the oil pump and keeping the brass fitting with the older O-ring. But still not sure exactly where the two larger ones go. Anyone know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 34

K1Dbilly

Reaction score
Which gasket should I put between the case and the fix kit? The one that comes packaged with the fixed kit on the left or the stock gasket on the right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom