Your favorite cooler

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long are you camping for? My coleman one will keep ice for days if I keep it in the shade.

I can't justify the absurd amount they want for yetis. And then always worry about people steal

I don’t wanna pay massive amounts either, I’m just seeing what’s out there. I like the Kailani’s that Canadian tire sells.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goddamn it Neil, love the Hawaii coolers/cups... if my wife sees those islands on anything... we'll own it

Soft coolers have come a long way and I would like one of the Princess Auto knock offs... I had a soft YETi knockoff from Home Depot and it lasted one boating day... 400$ for the backpack YETI seems unreasonable.

I bought a backpack style Dry Bag last year in Osoyoos, can easily throw a bag of ice in there and a case..... saves $ lol and it rolls up to nothing when you're done

Last edited:

phatboy2007

Reaction score
Depending on what size you are looking for I have recently purchased a couple Igloo BMX series coolers. They are cheap compared to the rotomolded coolers and work awesome. Super impressed with them. They are built very tough as well. Picture below is a BMX 52

1649166393236.png

Attachments

• 1649166307270.png
    1649166307270.png
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 73

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on what size you are looking for I have recently purchased a couple Igloo BMX series coolers. They are cheap compared to the rotomolded coolers and work awesome. Super impressed with them. They are built very tough as well. Picture below is a BMX 52

View attachment 254814

I seen those too, look pretty nice, this one caught my eye.

1649168221114.png

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason to buy a fancy Yeti is for bear protection. They are so damn heavy empty.

I bought a knock off Igloo Rotomold BMX 52 for a 1/4 the price years ago, it’s pretty decent. There’s are some quirks about it that I fixed up (deal around lid), glued drain as can come loose). I don’t think it will keep my stuff as long as a Yeti though.

I think soft shell coolers are the way to go these days, don’t own any yet.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 254814

Bought that one in early 2019, no major complaints and would buy it again. They’ve gone up about 30% since it looks like.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think this was what this thread was actually about!

Isn't the big thing about Yeti the bear proof latching system as well?
Personally I plan and camp with minimal need for frozen stuff. Maybe one trip in the summer in a tent, but way more fall tent camping where keeping stuff cool is really not a problem.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think this was what this thread was actually about!

Isn't the big thing about Yeti the bear proof latching system as well?
Personally I plan and camp with minimal need for frozen stuff. Maybe one trip in the summer in a tent, but way more fall tent camping where keeping stuff cool is really not a problem.

A lot of these new Roto molded coolers are certified bear proof. I actually looked at the Walmart cooler mentioned in the thread here yesterday, and I was surprised how well built it looked. Still doing some shopping as there’s lots of options.

I am going to try and be out in a tent as much as I can this summer. My kids have been bugging me to go “bush camping” since the snow has started melting.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do say Grizzly bear proof or something like that but if my dumb ass can get in it... I think a bear can. I think they might be smell proof?

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do say Grizzly bear proof or something like that but if my dumb ass can get in it... I think a bear can. I think they might be smell proof?

If they’ve got the nice rubber seal they could possibly be smell proof, but doubtful since we’ve probably put food on top of them at one point in the trip.
I think they’re more bear proof if you have them locked? There is a spot where you can put a long shank Master Lock through most of them. Even that is skeptical though..

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I read this right, that your going to climb into the cooler to get away from the Grizzly. Sorry couldn't help myself.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a big pelican cooler, it keeps ice forever if you aren't constantly in it. I have had ice last 7 days no problem.
My big ass Igloo marine cooler still has ice in it after a long weekend. Fill em up on friday morning and they still have ice on tuesday afternoon so 5 days.

For an extra few days at about $3.00 a bag I can buy a truckload of ice for the price of a rotomould. Maybe if I was a guide I'd see the value, but I dont.

They are also considerably smaller inside from all the insulation, keep that in mind.

Unless you NEED ice for 7 days a regular cooler will work just fine.

Top Bottom