Yellow

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rucky did you just say that because you have a older poo???
I have a friend how i ride with some times and he has a 2002 600 rmk with a can and it rocks!!
So why would you not change to a 600???

Justin

Put simply, you're an idiot if you go through the effort to make it 2 miles further on a tank. Plus if your UB is tuned right it should beat the chit out of a Polaris any day. And this is coming from a Poo guy!

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put simply, you're an idiot if you go through the effort to make it 2 miles further on a tank. Plus if your UB is tuned right it should beat the chit out of a Polaris any day. And this is coming from a Poo guy!

OK
Thanks poo guy!!

:d:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What Rucky and Maxwell said^^^^^. That 740 cannot be setup right if your buddies 600 is rockin' compared to it. That 740 should be running with and running down some 800's, not 600's.

Something ain't right brother! I would check motor before clutching and then if motor is OK, then start to play with clutching.

Are both your spark plug caps on??:p

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Rucky and Maxwell said^^^^^. That 740 cannot be setup right if your buddies 600 is rockin' compared to it. That 740 should be running with and running down some 800's, not 600's.

Something ain't right brother! I would check motor before clutching and then if motor is OK, then start to play with clutching.

Are both your spark plug caps on??:p

Engine is fine!
Lots of comp!
140 and 145!!
I might go to small jets!
They are just a little to big for were i ride!!
And yes both spark plug caps or on!!

:rolleyes:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell i hope not!!
Like it goes ok but my dad thinks it should do better!!
Maybe i should put a 162 track on it!!
:p

A longer track will only make it go slower if it isn't making the right power to begin with.

Sounds like you are on the right track, get it jetted down and get the motor making some heat, those twin pipes do not perform well with cold combustion temps, they need the heat to move the sound waves along their big expansion chambers. You can lose up to about 15% power with wrong jetting (too rich) and with twin pipes it just makes the problem worse since you are not making the pipe heat to make the power. Jetting down also increase your fuel mileage a whole bunch as well.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A longer track will only make it go slower if it isn't making the right power to begin with.

Sounds like you are on the right track, get it jetted down and get the motor making some heat, those twin pipes do not perform well with cold combustion temps, they need the heat to move the sound waves along their big expansion chambers. You can lose up to about 15% power with wrong jetting (too rich) and with twin pipes it just makes the problem worse since you are not making the pipe heat to make the power. Jetting down also increase your fuel mileage a whole bunch as well.

Ok
Ill try re jetting and i wont go for a longer track!!
So what should my max heat be??
1300f??

Justin
Do you know any place where there is a chart for jetting??
Cheers:beer:

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of RPMs are you pulling?
and do you have egt gauges?

It goes to 7500 but the guy i bought it from said it should run at 8300 wide open!
And yes i have egt!
That's why i asked what my max temp should be!
Oh and also iam always at full lean and my vari-flow!
I think i have 320 and 330 jets!
Ill go check right know!
I live at 4600 feet!

Justin:rolleyes:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It goes to 7500 but the guy i bought it from said it should run at 8300 wide open!
And yes i have egt!
Ill go check right know!
I live at 4600 feet!

I'm running 250's at 5000 ft if that gives you any help. don't look at the EGT until you set your plugs, and know that they are OK (nice light tan colour). Then when you get them to that colour, make a pass and see what the EGT reads, it might read 1300, it might read 1220, but the EGT temp is all based on probe placement, etc.

Here read this - DigatronTech

Also, your jetting will be based on where your venting the carbs too as well. Best bet is to jet by your plugs, this is the best way to figure out where you are at with jetting.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running 250's at 5000 ft if that gives you any help. don't look at the EGT until you set your plugs, and know that they are OK (nice light tan colour). Then when you get them to that colour, make a pass and see what the EGT reads, it might read 1300, it might read 1220, but the EGT temp is all based on probe placement, etc.

Here read this - DigatronTech

Also, your jetting will be based on where your venting the carbs too as well. Best bet is to jet by your plugs, this is the best way to figure out where you are at with jetting.

Thanks Modman!
WOW 250's??
I looked at my jets and they are NOT 320's and 330's they are 350's and 360's!

Justin
My dad says we should try 260's!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman!
WOW 250's??
I looked at my jets and they are NOT 320's and 330's they are 350's and 360's!

Justin
My dad says we should try 260's!

Don't just jump to 260's, I'm probably running a way different setup than you! Oh before I forget, check the welds on your steering post, I busted mine yesterday.

Start jetting down from your current jets, don't jump way down unless you have an auxiliary way to add fuel (like powerjets or dial-a-jets) quickly. There's a lot more to it, I'll add more tomorrow, I hate this keyboard on the new computer at home.

YellowMissile

Reaction score
Finally got some decent pics with my camera phone today of my yellow..
Phone01082.jpg

Phone01098.jpg

Phone01101.jpg

Reaction score
And yes i have egt!
Ill go check right know!
I live at 4600 feet!

If your runnin the stock Doo tach your almost 1000rpms too low if your at 7500.. Likely find your Pri. spring is sacked out(weak).. If your running the ole doo clutch still then do yourself a favor and remove that Tra. primary , if you cant bring yourself to throw it in the garbage can , then you then use it as a doorstop or an extravagant ashtray.. Pick up a P-85 , get it bushed for your current taper an get it balanced.. With your setup you would'nt be too far off with a pri. spring of aprox. 150-350 and fly's at anywhere from 58-62.. That thing should be eating 700's for breakfast.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your runnin the stock Doo tach your almost 1000rpms too low if your at 7500.. Likely find your Pri. spring is sacked out(weak).. If your running the ole doo clutch still then do yourself a favor and remove that Tra. primary , if you cant bring yourself to throw it in the garbage can , then you then use it as a doorstop or an extravagant ashtray.. Pick up a P-85 , get it bushed for your current taper an get it balanced.. With your setup you would'nt be too far off with a pri. spring of aprox. 150-350 and fly's at anywhere from 58-62.. That thing should be eating 700's for breakfast.

Thanks
I have a 1996 xlt 600 with a P-85, i will pull it off and so what i have to do!!

Thanks again!

J:cool:

Top Bottom