Yammy vs Poo

Prsledder

Reaction score
Been riding a Polaris Pro the last few years and happy. Looking for a new sled and thinking about a 2016 Yamaha Viper M-Tx 162.

Always liked Yamaha quality but worried about weight and power as compared to a 2 stroke sled.

Looking for comments from people who have rode both. Let the fight begin!

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been riding a Polaris Pro the last few years and happy. Looking for a new sled and thinking about a 2016 Yamaha Viper M-Tx 162.

Always liked Yamaha quality but worried about weight and power as compared to a 2 stroke sled.

Looking for comments from people who have rode both. Let the fight begin!

Why not a Sidewinder? Seems that going to a non boosted 4 stroke would not only require a big change in riding style, but also expectations.

Prsledder

Reaction score
Not interested in a turbo’d sled. There are some deals on vipers currently and looking at it compared to my Pro. Haven’t ridden one so don’t know anything about them.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not interested in a turbo’d sled. There are some deals on vipers currently and looking at it compared to my Pro. Haven’t ridden one so don’t know anything about them.

There's a reason there are deals on the Vipers, everyone wants the sidewinders now. I wouldn't buy one unless you can ride one first. Everything is different, chassis, powerband, weight. The things you are happy with on a Pro are likely to be what you'll miss on a Viper.

A Viper best compares with a 600 Pro in the power to weight department.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

On paper. But not when you ride them. A 600 Pro would destroy a N/A viper.
And, be far easier to dig out once stuck too.

Unless a guy was never going to be in enough snow to get really stuck, a viper (especially a non turbo) should be left on the showroom floor.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a reason there are deals on the Vipers, everyone wants the sidewinders now. I wouldn't buy one unless you can ride one first. Everything is different, chassis, powerband, weight. The things you are happy with on a Pro are likely to be what you'll miss on a Viper.

I ride a 190 hp Turboed viper, non-Turboed like was said above is comparable to a 600 right in the 130hp range. The sidewinder is factory turbo so any issues are warranty. Totally out do the naturally aspirated,but a learning curve to ride the 4 stroke. If you can ride the non-turbo viper and the sidewinder do so before you lay out the cash.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2008 xp then to a non turbo nytro a few years later then to a 2016 xm, I wouldn't even think about going back to a heavy 4 stroke unless maybe it was turbo'd. I like how easy the doo is to ride and it makes the day a lot more enjoyable. Oh and 95% of the time I don't need help when I'm stuck

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apples v.s. Oranges............... No, scratch that, Apples v.s. Water Mellons

Not sure what type of riding you do, but agility and weight mean a lot for mountain riding. Many will go to a 4 stroke for perceived reliability. It is true, 4 strokes are pretty rock solid.. but that being said, the Pro RMK Axys Platform is rock solid in every way from engine integrity to overall integrity of the machine. I ride an Axys 174, and love every minute out there. The geometric balance of the chassis doesn't make it feel long at all, but the extra flotation and traction is absolutely noticed. I'd recommend an Axys over a Yammy because I know what it feels like to be on a machine that struggles with agility and weight, and would never go back. The Axys is flat out awesome, and it works.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned a turbo Yamaha apex, nytro , Pro rmk , skidoo t3 and now a Yamaha Sidewinder. Out of all these sleds the one that gets me the most excited is the sidewinder. Apex was crazy powerful but a handful, tnytro didn’t care for how it handled. The pro was good but lacking power, skidoo t3 174 handled awesome and decent power. The sidewinder handles awesome and the power is smooth and instant. Yes it does weigh more but it’s honestly hard to tell. I’ve never rode a viper but I from what I’ve been told it’s night and day difference handling to the sidewinder. I think if your basing your decision on cost ...say under 10g...stick with a used 2 stroke. I realize you said no turbo but If your looking for new ...line yourself up a demo ride at one of the dealers for the sidewinder...it will surprise you forsure. Everyone one here will have there own opinion...go try one for yourself.

Last edited:

Prsledder

Reaction score
We have 3 Polaris in the garage currently. We enjoy our Pros but we try to sled on the flatland as much as possible too. I think I am going to give it a try. I will take the Pros to the mountains and leave the Viper at home if I don’t like it. I had an older Yamaha 4stroke and it left a bad taste in my mouth but I think I am willing to give it another shot. I always have the Pro to fall back on for a couple years.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha need turbo skid track 30k later u got sweet sled. If u looking for deal this is not it

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned a turbo Yamaha apex, nytro , Pro rmk , skidoo t3 and now a Yamaha Sidewinder. Out of all these sleds the one that gets me the most excited is the sidewinder. Apex was crazy powerful but a handful, tnytro didn’t care for how it handled. The pro was good but lacking power, skidoo t3 174 handled awesome and decent power. The sidewinder handles awesome and the power is smooth and instant. Yes it does weigh more but it’s honestly hard to tell. I’ve never rode a viper but I from what I’ve been told it’s night and day difference handling to the sidewinder. I think if your basing your decision on cost ...say under 10g...stick with a used 2 stroke. I realize you said no turbo but If your looking for new ...line yourself up a demo ride at one of the dealers for the sidewinder...it will surprise you forsure. Everyone one here will have there own opinion...go try one for yourself.

I'm very similar owned a turbod apex and nytro now the sidewinder last winter I went from my winder to buddies turbo viper and straight back to my sled and I will say this those two sleds look the same but whatever they changed in the front end is night and day difference the viper feels very similar to old nytro handled like a dead horse sidewinder feels like a more powerful 800. I will say if you are a smaller person(under 200lbs) the stock 800s (any brand) are quite appealing. So basically buy a winder or any 800 but I don't recommend a stock viper either.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A well set up viper with the newer front end handles nothing like a nytro.. I spent 5 seasons on a nytro and a apex and my viper is nothing like those sleds not even close. I havent rode a sidewinder yet but would like to compare

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Turboed apex and a 190 Turboed viper, got to demo the sidewinder last year. I also have had a stock nytro, I have to agree with the above comment that the viper handles nothing like the nytro!!! Straight up down the trail the viper rides very flat like my apex just handles lighter at low speeds. The sidewinder is a well balanced sled with awesome power right out of the box. I wish when I demoed it it would have had new runners as I found down the trail in the corners it pushed. If you do buy a four stroke be prepared to learn to ride different than you would ride a 2 srtroke. But whatever you buy have fun with it and just ride.

Top Bottom