Yamaha Primary Grenading

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So my Yamaha primary clutch grenaded the other day. Just changed the weights to I believe 74 Gram daltons. There must of been some stress cracks or something. Sled was running great doing some boondocking and bang. One of the weights blew a hole through the belly pan and was gone. Probably shot somewhere 50' from my accent. There is another crack in the center. Not sure if some of the heat stress from previous rides has caused this. Lucky I brought a clutch puller to Mcbride and had that Rod had a clutch to lend me. And also would like to thank Barry for delivering to the hill and DJ for bringing it to me. It worked to get me back, and at least I was able to ride a bit on Saturday. The loaner clutch was from a 550 Venture so it was not set up with weights but got me around. No proper clutching so it was reving real fast, with improper power transfer.

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 171
  • clutch2.jpg
    clutch2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 169
  • clutch3.jpg
    clutch3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 167
  • clutch4.jpg
    clutch4.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
was quite the handful of shrapnel you had there
My souvenir, I looked for about an hour for the weight that shot out my bellypan but never found it. Nothing a bit of JB weld would'nt fix. Found all this in the left belly pan.

Attachments

• clutch5.jpg
    clutch5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Looks like Darren at E&S has a clutch for me, just need to get the 74g weight. One had ejected from by sled like a bullet. I looked for about 1 1/2 hours but could not find it. Im sure it was warm and it sunk in the snow.:(
The same clutch is used on the Phazer just with a different top piece, mine was ok. We think this may be due to excessive heat from the previous 4700 miles on the sled. There was some heat checks in the face of the clutch. Now with the proper clutching it works properly.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had fun anyways !! It was a great weekend :) . Sun was shining, beer was cold after loading. Could not have asked for a better weekend.

Thanks to Barry and Judy for the wonderful hospitality, and to Ron for showing me more of what Renshaw has to offer a guy sledding..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
wouldn't be a complete weekend without Ron breaking something....

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
wouldn't be a complete weekend without Ron breaking something....
Thanks Bogger. :d

So I found some new weights at Slave Lake Yamaha. 74Gram Daltons. There shipping them to me tomorrow. So they will be here in a few days and Darren at E&S will reassemble my clutch. Then after that I have to drill about 50 holes in my side cover and get the snap ties out to fix the cracks and It will be ready for another weekend. :d:d

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks good Ron!! lol ........ gonna go up this weekend and give it a try as well.

Top Bottom