Ski-Doo clutch on an Alpha! Who’da thunk?

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
80BC62EA-83A7-47D4-A79C-26AE635F70A1.jpg
Eye candy for clutch peeps!

Primary Clutch-Skidoo Tra 7 with electric start ring gear.
Belt-Arctic 0627-083 or 084, same belt size, 083 soft rubber and cheaper, 084 is harder compound, more spensive.
The taper needs to be machined to match the Cat taper.

Primary-Ski-Doo Tra 7
441 Ramps, clicker #1, 105/380 Duane Watt of Paragon red spring, 6.3 grams total pin weight using 3.8 thunder products aluminum pins, primary sheave humps removed for some straight sheave action. Clutch is a non-LGTBQ model.

Secondary-Stm tuner, gen 1, no reverse
48/38 helix, Stm bearings changed to oil lite, yellow Stm spring, second loosest hole, like your Mom.

Gearing-22/72, 3.27, 2.5”x154”x2.86” pitch Camoplast Challenger Saw tooth track, 8 tooth Powder freaks drivers, custom gears and mitsuboshi belt from Pfeifer industries in Naperville, Illinois. They are setup to cut the splines and gears without removing the gear from the fixture so these guys are accurate.

No guarantees if you try this combo. It will take some effort for alignment and tuning.
Happy clutching and experiment!!!!

Joey Ibackshift-Pfeifer has 22 and 23 teeth SkiDoo spline gears programmed so it’ll be easy to get made if you need a gear.

Bonus information-Arctic Cat Ctec2 clutch puller works on the Tra!!!

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Won't have to worry about the clutch blowing up either.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 234969
Eye candy for clutch peeps!

Primary Clutch-Skidoo Tra 7 with electric start ring gear.
Belt-Arctic 0627-083 or 084, same belt size, 083 soft rubber and cheaper, 084 is harder compound, more spensive.
The taper needs to be machined to match the Cat taper.

Primary-Ski-Doo Tra 7
441 Ramps, clicker #1, 105/380 Duane Watt of Paragon red spring, 7.1 grams total pin weight using 3.8 thunder products aluminum pins, primary sheave humps removed for some straight sheave action. Clutch is a non-LGTBQ model.

Secondary-Stm tuner, gen 1, no reverse
48/38 helix, Stm bearings changed to oil lite, rollers changed to hi torque rollers, yellow Stm spring, middle hole

Gearing-22/72, 3.27, 2.5”x154”x2.86” pitch Camoplast Challenger Saw tooth track, 8 tooth Powder freaks drivers, custom gears and mitsuboshi belt from Pfeifer industries in Naperville, Illinois. They are setup to cut the splines and gears without removing the gear from the fixture so these guys are accurate.

No guarantees if you try this combo. It will take some effort for alignment and tuning.
Happy clutching and experiment!!!!

Joey Ibackshift-Pfeifer has 22 and 23 teeth SkiDoo spline gears programmed so it’ll be easy to get made if you need a gear.

Bonus information-Arctic Cat Ctec2 clutch puller works on the Tra!!!

Good job Sir .
You notice less vibration as well with the TRA ?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I. D miss the cat clutch and how it engaged tree riding I think

Sure works good tree riding side ways with the roller bearing and self adjustment

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thinking out side of the box. Hope it works well.
Will the team clutches from the Yamaha mountain max fit on the cat with less mods, or are they the same?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is Why? If you are going to waste the time and money put an after market one on. And yes the mountain max clutches would bolt on as the max is just a cat in blue.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
other than that, why?

That not good enough reason? He also told me be cause its heavier he figures that will smooth out the "harmonics" engine will last longer, plus he likes the tra better than the cat clutch.

I dont blame him, not a cat guy but wish the 850 ran a tra instead of the pdrive ;)

But Not even my sled, so what you asking me for anyways lol

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The TRA race clutch is one of the best clutches you can buy. And If your used too working on it and like what it does, go for it. Maybe one day we will have to have DP challenge 2 ?

Attachments

• 33C4BF53-B75B-4BD5-903F-02D1C164D8CC.jpg
    33C4BF53-B75B-4BD5-903F-02D1C164D8CC.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 323

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Good job Sir .
You notice less vibration as well with the TRA ?[/QUOTE
I have some investigation to do. The primary clutch is cool to the touch, hits overdrive nicely, etc but there’s definitely vibration. Too much vibing! I need to back track and check the taper machining job and balance the clutch. I will report back on findings.

Will the team clutches from the Yamaha mountain max fit on the cat with less mods, or are they the same?
I don’t know. I haven’t seen a Yamaha Mountain Max jackshaft yet. It’s funny you ask because I changed the jackshaft to a Yammi sidewinder jackshaft with Yamaha splines. My secondary has Yamaha splines. I didn’t like the team Boss jackshaft.

other than that, why?
1. The Tra has a higher overdrive than other primary clutches.
2. It is heavier than a P85 and the Team, more weight=less chassis cracking vibration.
3. Tra has the rubber vibration dampener ring, helps with vibes.
4. It is rebuildable for less than $200.
5. Replacement parts are readily available
6. Rpm’s are adjustable on the hill, +- 1000 rpm’s.
All the above checked the boxes for what I was looking to accomplish and some features were a definite bonus! I tried a P85 but it waaaay too light. So that was a fail. Polaris p85 cut for a cat taper for sale!
7. I’m familiar and intimate with the Tra.

Stay tuned, I hope to get out a few more times this year for testage!

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job Sir .
You notice less vibration as well with the TRA ?[/QUOTE
I have some investigation to do. The primary clutch is cool to the touch, hits overdrive nicely, etc but there’s definitely vibration. Too much vibing! I need to back track and check the taper machining job and balance the clutch. I will report back on findings.

I don’t know. I haven’t seen a Yamaha Mountain Max jackshaft yet. It’s funny you ask because I changed the jackshaft to a Yammi sidewinder jackshaft with Yamaha splines. My secondary has Yamaha splines. I didn’t like the team Boss jackshaft.

other than that, why?
1. The Tra has a higher overdrive than other primary clutches.
2. It is heavier than a P85 and the Team, more weight=less chassis cracking vibration.
3. Tra has the rubber vibration dampener ring, helps with vibes.
4. It is rebuildable for less than $200.
5. Replacement parts are readily available
6. Rpm’s are adjustable on the hill, +- 1000 rpm’s.
All the above checked the boxes for what I was looking to accomplish and some features were a definite bonus! I tried a P85 but it waaaay too light. So that was a fail. Polaris p85 cut for a cat taper for sale!
7. I’m familiar and intimate with the Tra.

Stay tuned, I hope to get out a few more times this year for testage!

This will take time, but index the primary to the crank yourself and find the sweet spot.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That not good enough reason? He also told me be cause its heavier he figures that will smooth out the "harmonics" engine will last longer, plus he likes the tra better than the cat clutch.

I dont blame him, not a cat guy but wish the 850 ran a tra instead of the pdrive ;)

But Not even my sled, so what you asking me for anyways lol

My thinking is he should have went to a Polaris clutch as it my experience is, it is far superior to the TRA after having several sleds with both.

Top Bottom