xp clutches ,what to watch for

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
in 08 an 09 the failure of the primary components was to say the least staggering. 2010 it completely disappeared based on what we saw and sold to keep guys and gals running when they came to visit here.
main killer was the motor moveing left ,, reason was the front two motor mount holes were a square 13mm hole . this allowed the motor to move .
fix came in 2010 with the square hole being changed to a 8mm round hole . no way the motor can move left .
one failure we saw when looking at the primary clutch was the wear of the lower bushing , just below the primary spring . it can look good but when you have the clutch disassembled , place the moveable sheave back onthe center shaft and pull it 90 degrees to the shaft and see how much play there is at this point .it is not to hard to change this very inexpensive bushing .
to much play allows the sheave to cock side ways enough to slow the up shift and delay the sensivity of the back shift .
also creates a lot of heat .if it has gone to long unchecked it wears the spring tower cap, shows wear on one ramp before the others and usually needs a roller or set replaced .
doo also raised the primary spring end pressure up to 350 to help assist the back shift and allow you to run the clickers on number 3 at elevation .
secondery didnt really have any issues . most of the clutching issues come from the primary.

were the primary tra fails the mountian crowd is in the design . it doesnt retain its arm push when it moves its arms out . the arm arc has the push going correct up to the point that the ramps begin to curl up and the roller now begins to climb the ramp .the outward push of the rollers now begins to lessen .
fine onthe flat as it can over come the greatly reduced effort to close the clutch , but put it under load and it stalls .typically what we call hitting the wall.
cat and polaris primary clutches do not sucum to this as they are designed differently and finish way better in the deep snow loaded condition.
has to do with were the rollers are located and were the mass of weight is located .
no amount of clutch kits will fix the design flaw that the tra has .it reaches that stall point on the ramp and nothing short of a lot less load will alow the roller to climb the ramp.
when we raced the sleds in hill climbs we never used the tra for this very reason.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in 08 an 09 the failure of the primary components was to say the least staggering. 2010 it completely disappeared based on what we saw and sold to keep guys and gals running when they came to visit here.
main killer was the motor moveing left ,, reason was the front two motor mount holes were a square 13mm hole . this allowed the motor to move .
fix came in 2010 with the square hole being changed to a 8mm round hole . no way the motor can move left .
one failure we saw when looking at the primary clutch was the wear of the lower bushing , just below the primary spring . it can look good but when you have the clutch disassembled , place the moveable sheave back onthe center shaft and pull it 90 degrees to the shaft and see how much play there is at this point .it is not to hard to change this very inexpensive bushing .
to much play allows the sheave to cock side ways enough to slow the up shift and delay the sensivity of the back shift .
also creates a lot of heat .if it has gone to long unchecked it wears the spring tower cap, shows wear on one ramp before the others and usually needs a roller or set replaced .
doo also raised the primary spring end pressure up to 350 to help assist the back shift and allow you to run the clickers on number 3 at elevation .
secondery didnt really have any issues . most of the clutching issues come from the primary.

were the primary tra fails the mountian crowd is in the design . it doesnt retain its arm push when it moves its arms out . the arm arc has the push going correct up to the point that the ramps begin to curl up and the roller now begins to climb the ramp .the outward push of the rollers now begins to lessen .
fine onthe flat as it can over come the greatly reduced effort to close the clutch , but put it under load and it stalls .typically what we call hitting the wall.
cat and polaris primary clutches do not sucum to this as they are designed differently and finish way better in the deep snow loaded condition.
has to do with were the rollers are located and were the mass of weight is located .
no amount of clutch kits will fix the design flaw that the tra has .it reaches that stall point on the ramp and nothing short of a lot less load will alow the roller to climb the ramp.
when we raced the sleds in hill climbs we never used the tra for this very reason.

good info al thanks...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too cold fer fishin'...too warm fer sleddin' eh Al! Hehehehehe

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the tra really flawed? i can maintain consistant rpms and trackspeed in a climb, never burn belts and beat cats and polaris left and right. wheres the design flaw?

seen many broken crank stubs with p-85 clutches on doos also. not really a worthwhile mod as far as im concerned. maybe i got a special tra on my sled.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the verdict on the skidoo race TRA clutches??

They definately run cooler and wick up a bit quicker. I know Baker was using them exclusively until the supply chain ran out. They are only designed for about 130hp is what I was told by a BRP service rep but as far as I know Baker never had any catastrophic failures on any of the ones he ran or sold.

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
the tra race clutch is just machined down to loose the weight , this allows them to rev up quicker , and do they use there stock secondery when raceing ,hahahahaha nope,
at one time the p85 was blamed for crank issues but we have long since dispelled that myth .
if you have your tra apart ,look at the travel of the arm . it pushes out toward the end of the clutch only for a short distance , then the travel moves from pushing out to pushing more side ways and slows the end push .
take a look at the polaris style primary . the roller is on the outside and all the wy thru the movement of there arms they achieve a straight out push and do not diminish the outward push.
ya we have got the tra clutch stuff working fine and many are happy with that , just saying that the stock tra in design leaves a bunch on the table as far as top end pull in a mountian condition.
if you are happy and impressed with your stock tra clutching then it would be fun to have you experience on your sled the feeling of a clutching system that doesnt quit pulling .you gain noticable in the track speed .

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After seeing you guys and the work you have done to the numerous 800R's you have serviced over the past 5 yrs mine included if you say Poo clutch is the way to go then get my parts Al I'll be out to see you and Pete and get her done. Is there snow there yet I'm starting to get the shakes and I'm having whiteouts its getting bad. Cheers

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody that really thinks the TRA is a great clutch, has been sucking on the ol' tailpipe too much!
What a pile. Unless you like a handy spot to cook your lunch. Plenty of heat in those things to fry a hamburger.

Top Bottom