XM performance additions....?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never did any engine performance modifications since the release on the etec on any of our sleds. this season want to try something different.

looking at pipes,y pipe, clutch kit, reed combos just wondering what you guys have tried and if it was worth it or not.

ive installed many kits on pteks with full exhaust, cylinder heads etcetc and it woke the sled right up and was totally worth the cash....just have no experience with the etec engine mods.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
send your etec to ralph... his porting does wonders..enought said

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well a good friend of mine who i swear lives to be the fastest in a dig has tried every pipe, y pipe, can combo possible easily spent enough for a aerocharger trying to make his etec backcountry faster. this testing was at 2000' maybe elevation changes results
he uses his wifes 11 etec as a benchmark from both being bone stock and started trying to make gains, after almost a full season playing and trying different things and clutching it he found the stock exhaust system to be the fastest in a 1500-2000ft drag. with a y pipe and slp can he would get beat, full stock system ahead by 1-1.5 lengths
doo has that etec dialed in and locked down so it just does not work with mods- guess thats so guys leave it stock and it lasts lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to try it. I would also love to be proven wrong. If I had an extra 20g I would have a turbo XM and a stock XM. But when it comes down to one sled I can't see it working flawlessly for me 70 days a year.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to try it. I would also love to be proven wrong. If I had an extra 20g I would have a turbo XM and a stock XM. But when it comes down to one sled I can't see it working flawlessly for me 70 days a year.

Well this will be my first Turbo, TSS told me they have kits on etecs that have over 3000 km last year with no problems. So if thats the case then it who knows. Time will tell for me... and an extra 100hp, well I might not need that redesigned front end as my skis aren't going to touch the ground!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to look at the limiting factors on the etec to determine what is going to allow gains to be had.

As fas as the guy who gets beat on grass drags at low elevation with an SLP set up, why would you run a pipe designed for elevation at low altitude?

One if the way doo limits rpm on the etecs is through the pipe. Running the slp setup does allow the sled to run higher rpm.

Head mods/higher compression is still a good way to increase compression and make more use of that burn.

Porting was deffinetly good on the 2011. The 2012 had a lot of the backwards porting fixed.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this will be my first Turbo, TSS told me they have kits on etecs that have over 3000 km last year with no problems. So if thats the case then it who knows. Time will tell for me... and an extra 100hp, well I might not need that redesigned front end as my skis aren't going to touch the ground!

Propaganda, Pay attention to your a/f ratio, I know of a etec TSS turbo that squeaked a cyl last year Here in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is funny when I talked to all the Turbo guys at sled show about engine life they all say after 1 season maybe a good idea to rebuild?? Yup just what I figured 240hp a little to much for 2-stroke crank!:nono:Maybe its just cause i look old and grouchy???

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think frenchy also had a motor go down, along with a hole in the oiltank from a rivet... from what i have seen all the turbo builders have had their first year learning curves, we also had a buddy with the boondocker that took boost to high and lost a piston and jug

for a first time buyer, ride before you buy would be my modo... and if your running 2000km a year, set of pistons for sure...

i had 1800 miles on mine and thought it ran perfect, till i took the ypipe off to get ceramic coated and found a issue with a breaking ring gland, it will be a cheap fix, but could of been a big wreck if i would of ran another season, yearly engine maintence is a must

Attachments

• 017 (1).jpg
    017 (1).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of 3 motors on a TSS. Not blaming anyone. Could be the owner. Or builder. Just saying there's lots of hype on the etec turbo but not a lot of them out yet with big miles on them

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think frenchy also had a motor go down, along with a hole in the oiltank from a rivet... from what i have seen all the turbo builders have had their first year learning curves, we also had a buddy with the boondocker that took boost to high and lost a piston and jug

for a first time buyer, ride before you buy would be my modo... and if your running 2000km a year, set of pistons for sure...

i had 1800 miles on mine and thought it ran perfect, till i took the ypipe off to get ceramic coated and found a issue with a breaking ring gland, it will be a cheap fix, but could of been a big wreck if i would of ran another season, yearly engine maintence is a must

this is why i will never own a turbo. i would need 3 engines a season.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it sucks to change pistons, but its not that big a job, i do it yearly on the 880 as well, so this should be no different, down to a three hr job, or five beers of choice

and having two sleds works out to one change a season...

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many Kms are the cats and poos getting with a turbo on them before they need a rebuild.I think i am going to get the brp pipe ceramic coated and the ypipe .(and a can)That will be it till next yr.then maybe a 3" track and a big bore kit!!!Untill i can afford to bring two sleds to the mountains a turbo is just gonna be frustration i think!!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1800 miles or KM? So if you run minimal boost all the time (5-6 psi) do you think an engine rebuild is still necessary every year? Is it pretty easy to do yourself? If you switch out your pistons for something else (titanium or ...?) will you get a longer engine life?

Details please!

Top Bottom