Would You Snowcheck a Cat?

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on Cats most of my life. Dad had them growing up and I just sort of stuck with them because they’ve always been good to me. Now the time is coming where I had planned on upgrading my ‘16 but I’m not gonna lie, I’m hesitant. With the current situation they’re in it’s questionable if they’re even gonna be around in a few years. So my question is, would you snowcheck a cat? Maybe I should re-word that to avoid brand bashing cause that’s not what I’m looking for here. If your preferred brand of snowmobile was in the current situation that Cats in right now, would you stand by them?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No for a few reasons.

1. Only come with 1 year warranty.
2. List price is over $18k, list price was $14.3k in 2020.
3. Really tough to get parts, always on back order.
4. Why did Craig Kennedy really leave.

Great sled, and truthfully I really miss being being on a cat. But I am just out till I see some signs of life.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hard NO for me I had a 2019 Alpha and it spent 38 day at a dealer in Edmonton waiting on replacement warrenty parts that where said to be back ordered won’t ever see me on a cat again

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask, what signs are worse right now than compared to 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago, 5 years ago. If anything they've made their biggest improvements about 2 years ago with the release of the monorail and 800 ctec2.

You guys make a good point about parts availability, that is a troubling sign.

The MASSIVE year over year price hike for the exact same sled is, if anything, a positive sign for the company. It means they know people want to buy it now so they can jack the price up to what the competitors are charging.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Alpha and I would absolutely buy another. Points above about longevity of the company may be valid, but....

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Came across this number from a snow goer article about the lawsuit with BRP. 732 pre orders sure doesn't seem like a lot of sleds to me for across Canada, maybe I'm wrong though. Snopro what does Doo usually do for snow checks?

[FONT=&quot]The [/FONT]new ruling[FONT=&quot] affects 732 pre-ordered, adult-sized Cat snowmobiles that were reserved by customers in Canada with a $750 deposit. Youth snowmobile sales were not affected by the ruling – which is related to the pyramid subframe beneath ProCross/ProClimb chassis Arctic Cat that the [/FONT]court said violated Ski-Doo’s patent for the original REV chassis[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Dakine879

Reaction score
[COLOR=#444444 said:
Youth snowmobile sales were not affected by the ruling – which is related to the pyramid subframe beneath ProCross/ProClimb chassis Arctic Cat that the [/COLOR]court said violated Ski-Doo’s patent for the original REV chassis.

So now we know the *real* reason AC came out with the Blast sleds ....
I would hate to be a dealer for them now, there must be some bad blood between the two parties when a dealer is testifying that AC never told them about the impending litigation by BRP

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Came across this number from a snow goer article about the lawsuit with BRP. 732 pre orders sure doesn't seem like a lot of sleds to me for across Canada, maybe I'm wrong though. Snopro what does Doo usually do for snow checks?

The new ruling affects 732 pre-ordered, adult-sized Cat snowmobiles that were reserved by customers in Canada with a $750 deposit. Youth snowmobile sales were not affected by the ruling – which is related to the pyramid subframe beneath ProCross/ProClimb chassis Arctic Cat that the court said violated Ski-Doo’s patent for the original REV chassis.
Been awhile since I've seen the national numbers as they tellus that at the dealer meetings. I would hazard to say that Alberta alone would easily do that many Summits.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would buy another.
Alpha was a fun sled and solidly built.
Hope Cat gets their issues ironed out.
Lots of good in those machines.

Reactions: RJP

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a cat guy, and they sure aren't enticing me to become one.

That being said the 800 Ctec2 seems to be a strong motor, on a similar level to both 850's. I'm also not sure I've come across an unhappy rider on an Alpha.

But why doesn't cat offer a 174? I know it's not for everyone, but there's definitely enough market to justify it. MSRP is out to lunch, about $2k more than a similar 850 Pro RMK, or 850 Summit X.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a cat guy, and they sure aren't enticing me to become one.

That being said the 800 Ctec2 seems to be a strong motor, on a similar level to both 850's. I'm also not sure I've come across an unhappy rider on an Alpha.

But why doesn't cat offer a 174? I know it's not for everyone, but there's definitely enough market to justify it. MSRP is out to lunch, about $2k more than a similar 850 Pro RMK, or 850 Summit X.
No it’s Not! Please show proof of this gossip!

Top Bottom