Winterfronts on Deisels for fuel economy

barrone

Reaction score
I have a F350 Crew cab King Ranch Diesel. I have had it for 2 yrs, 80,000km
I average 20-23 l/100 in a mix of highway and short trips. It is worse in the winter.... I was just remembering how my 04 and 06 duramaxes cam with winter fronts and when I used them in the winter, my winter fuel mileage increased quite a bit, noticeably around 3-4 mpg, even on long trips.
Has anyone noticed this, and if you use a winter front , whick kinds do you like the best for fit, finish, and not damaging the truck(snaps, rubbing, etc)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The winter fuel also affects the fuel mileage of vehicles, not to mention the warm-up time, as well as tougher driving conditions......... You should run a winter front on any diesel........ Check out all the "big rigs" and you'd be hard pressed to not find one without some kind of a winter front......;)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not so much putting a front on to help with economy,. it's to help maintain engine operating temperature. If the engine can remain at a higher enough temperature, you will get a better burn after compression and better use the BTU's created by ignition of the fuel in turn using less fuel.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It's not so much putting a front on to help with economy,. it's to help maintain engine operating temperature. If the engine can remain at a higher enough temperature, you will get a better burn during compression and better use the BTU's created by ignition of the fuel in turn using less fuel.

IN OTHER WORDS, "HELP WITH ECONOMY"................. JUS' SAYIN';):d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IN OTHER WORDS, "HELP WITH ECONOMY"................. JUS' SAYIN';):d

I explained in a little more detail, just sayin :):beer:

Forgot in my previous post, that I use my summer front with the small holes, then put a piece of cardboard behind, and a canvas tarp underneath.

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're so technical.........but the burn doesn't happen on the compression stroke.......... Jus' sayin';)

Fixed it for you

No it occurs after injection, it's the heat that's created on compression the aids in the burn of the fuel after injection

Just in a hurry have to go get a root canal and two fawking fillings UGH!

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Fixed it for you

No it occurs after injection, it's the heat that's created on compression the aids in the burn of the fuel after injection

Ick!! Have fun with that!! :beer::d:beer:

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed it for you

Are going to be a man or are you going to ask for anasthetic?:p

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Are going to be a man or are you going to ask for anasthetic?:p

call it what you will but if I even need a root canal... I wanna go under...

subjecting yourself to pain when there is no need to is not being a man.....it's being stupid...

Just sayin..

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call it what you will but if I even need a root canal... I wanna go under...

subjecting yourself to pain when there is no need to is not being a man.....it's being stupid...

Just sayin..

I've had two root canals and believe me the pain of the needles is more than worth it. Just saying.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge makes a great leatherish cover, i'm sure ford and gm have something similar. It helps so much. Plus it keeps the truck at operating temp while idling. I would never run a diesel without one again. Only concern is, it's works so well you have to watch when towing/hauling on the highway to open the flaps, or the truck will overheat and the fan will be constantly kicking on. Even notice easier cold starting when being plugged in, and the motor stays warm for SO much longer.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on the search for one also for my 2001 F 350 and the only one that I have found is the Fia quilted one. Below is a link to there website. I'm sure some in Edmonton stocks these!

GoFia.com - Step 1

barrone

Reaction score
Yup, I cant believe I forgot about a winter front last winter, I must be getting old. Anyone have a specific brand they really like???

barrone

Reaction score
I explained in a little more detail, just sayin :):beer:

Forgot in my previous post, that I use my summer front with the small holes, then put a piece of cardboard behind, and a canvas tarp underneath.

Is your summer front a stainless steel type one?? Does it rub the chrome???

barrone

Reaction score
And yes, thankyou for all the info. If anything , I should have it for the drivetrain longevity as much as anything,

Has anyone noted better fuel economy with one, as compared to without one, while all on winter diesel. (i'm sure most would)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge makes a great leatherish cover, i'm sure ford and gm have something similar. It helps so much. Plus it keeps the truck at operating temp while idling. I would never run a diesel without one again. Only concern is, it's works so well you have to watch when towing/hauling on the highway to open the flaps, or the truck will overheat and the fan will be constantly kicking on. Even notice easier cold starting when being plugged in, and the motor stays warm for SO much longer.
I seen the one today for the 03 to 09 dodge and wondered if was worth it I already have the all season stainless inserts in the grill do you think it will make that much of a difference.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And yes, thankyou for all the info. If anything , I should have it for the drivetrain longevity as much as anything,

Has anyone noted better fuel economy with one, as compared to without one, while all on winter diesel. (i'm sure most would)
I would not expect fuel economy to go up with a winter front on, You burning winter fuel, have colder diff fluids ,and tranny fluids, and are trying to push in denser air.

psnider

Reaction score
The winter fuel also affects the fuel mileage of vehicles, not to mention the warm-up time, as well as tougher driving conditions......... You should run a winter front on any diesel........ Check out all the "big rigs" and you'd be hard pressed to not find one without some kind of a winter front......;)

actually some do not need them due to having shutters on them...others you cant put a full one on due to the grill is where the air intake is for the engine(like a mack truck)

Top Bottom