Winter Logging activity in the Fernie area

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what will be taking place this winter season on Morrissey, Ram/Wigwam or Lodgepole FSR's?

Any info on road closures or plowing of the FSR's would be appreciated :)

Jvl

Reaction score
We were up the lodge pole on Friday night before the storm and it was plowed for logging traffic. I heard that they would be down in the flathead for another year. But not sure. I didnt check ram so I don't know ,but nobody has said anything. Morrisey is now part of the new club along with the wranglers cabin. I was told they were grooming it with a drag behind a sled. So it will be a lot like Hartley I'm guessing after a few sleds. I think coal creek is the same and they will be grooming like usual but I did hear there was a new land owner for that road and something's may be in question.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Ferniesnow can respond to this thread. Either way everyone should have a radio in their trucks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We were up the lodge pole on Friday night before the storm and it was plowed for logging traffic. I heard that they would be down in the flathead for another year. But not sure. I didnt check ram so I don't know ,but nobody has said anything. Morrisey is now part of the new club along with the wranglers cabin. I was told they were grooming it with a drag behind a sled. So it will be a lot like Hartley I'm guessing after a few sleds. I think coal creek is the same and they will be grooming like usual but I did hear there was a new land owner for that road and something's may be in question.

Let's get something straight. The EVSC has a SUP (special use permit) to allow the Wrangler's cabin to legally be used in the winter time. They have no other privileges and are just like you and I, at this time. Anybody can use the Dominion Coal Block and be charged. The EVSC can groom but why would they when the agreement with Jemi gets completed. The FSA will do the normal grooming up Morrissey beyond the Cat ski operation. Jemi Fibre bought out two blocks from Tembec and that is where the Fernie Snowmobile Association had their agreement. The FSA is presently in contact with Jemi Fibre and working out a new agreement. We figure it will be business as usual with the odd hassle from the EVSC.

If you buy an EVSC club membership, you will still have to buy an FSA trail pass at Morrissey and Coal Creek once the agreement gets signed. All of the above is FYI.

With regards to logging, Jemi Fibre has not sent out any letters to the FSA. It appears they will not be operating like Tembec and CanFor did. My understanding is the same with regards to the LodgePole and the Flathead. Lots of cutting and hauling. Not likely to be pull outs and radio communication will be important. Have a great winter.

Jvl

Reaction score
So to clarify, both clubs don't have agreement yet with the new land owners?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So to clarify, both clubs don't have agreement yet with the new land owners?

That is true. Would you sign an agreement with a club with 200+ members and a great stewardship record for many years and a very positive recommendation from Tembec (the previous landowner) or with a club with 10-20 members and basically no stewardship record.

Jvl

Reaction score
What happens if they don't want to sign with either of you? What it sounds to me, this company comes in does there business sells and leaves. Not really worried about what the locals think. But I did hear that they will be replanting to be able to sell logs to canfor, so maybe things are changing. Hopefully for you guys.

turbodup

Reaction score
Just to clarify a few things people morrisey trail is open this year and it will be maintained by the evsc club and the memberships are 60$ vs 80 . We will not be demanding a fee at the trail head however we will be taking donations . This club is all about having some fun events and getting some money raised for charity's. I guess fernie snow or should it be elkford snow has misread the fine print the evsc has permission on paper to use the trail the fsa does not

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify a few things people morrisey trail is open this year and it will be maintained by the evsc club and the memberships are 60$ vs 80 . We will not be demanding a fee at the trail head however we will be taking donations . This club is all about having some fun events and getting some money raised for charity's. I guess fernie snow or should it be elkford snow has misread the fine print the evsc has permission on paper to use the trail the fsa does not

No need to get personal about things. Are both clubs operating in the same area....or what are the different boundaries? I lived in the area for 30+ years and still visit regularly to sled. The FSA has always done a great job in the area. This, to me, sounds like some small town/area politics that help to destroy the moral within a community/area.

Jvl

Reaction score
So if you have permission (evsc), is it with jemi fibre or does it need to be? Unfortunately the people I ride with, like to leave from town so I'm forced to buy a pass there. But on some busy weekends its nice to leave from morrisey. So I would like to know if I need two club pass.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So if you have permission (evsc), is it with jemi fibre or does it need to be? Unfortunately the people I ride with, like to leave from town so I'm forced to buy a pass there. But on some busy weekends its nice to leave from morrisey. So I would like to know if I need two club pass.

John, have patience and when the agreement with Jemi is signed then make a decision. If the FSA gets the agreement renewed as it was before then one membership will do. The EVSC can groom in the Dominion Coal Block,as can the FSA. Grooming cannot be charged for in the Dominion Coal block but grooming can be charged for on the private land preceding the Dominion Coal Block. As mentioned before, there is a little piece of land at the bottom of Morrissey that is private. No one knows if it will be in the new agreement with Jemi or not. The FSA has been transparent with this scenario, I don't know about the transparency of the EVSC.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to move to Montana where you can ride anything anywhere...:cool:
Just keep the speed limit to 85 Miles Per Hour on the highway!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why drive when there is a groomed trail in town? shorter drive at start and end of day
Friggin fuel cost in BC is going to kill us all this season, will be tough to convince guys to drive past Corbin

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It sounds like both clubs are operating within the same or similar area. I'd like to know if EVSC members are paying FSA trail fees when they ride FSA groomed trails? If I was riding Fernie, I would concentrate on an FSA membership and be done with it. The FSA has done a great job in Fernie. Unfortunately not everyone is going to be 100% happy 100% of the time. Really...come on...2 clubs in a similar area??? IMO...the rogue club is making sledders look like jack azzes (especially if the previous comments of one of their executive is any sort of representation of what the club is about) United we stand and divided we fall...sounds like the BCSF/ABC snow all over again.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why drive when there is a groomed trail in town? shorter drive at start and end of day
Friggin fuel cost in BC is going to kill us all this season, will be tough to convince guys to drive past Corbin

This is precisely why I just invested in a Titan tank :D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The way I understand it parking can be an issue in town. My son has an FSA membership but usually goes in from Morrisey for this reason. Just what I've been told so take it for what it's worth.

Jvl

Reaction score
Coal creek can be a zoo on weekends and that's why many locals drive to morrisey, there needs to be someone directing parking instead of sitting way out by the old dump collecting money. But I understand that they need more volunteers to do both jobs, it's just annoying. I also agree that two clubs don't seem to be the answer to the problems. But I think it would of been beter to try to vote new people in to get the things they wanted. Maybe they didnt have the numbers I don't know. Locals seemed to be out numbered in fernie.

turbodup

Reaction score
I have been part of both clubs and the evsc has there ducks in a row this year ride where you want but Morrisey will be donations only and handled by the evsc.nobody wants to fight over the trails but at least this one is now leagal as well as the wranglers cabin.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Corbin? I'm in! Have you see the price of diesel! WTF?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to move to Montana where you can ride anything anywhere...:cool:
Just keep the speed limit to 85 Miles Per Hour on the highway!

Oooh im liking the sound of Montana! Just like Costa rica but with snow...

Top Bottom