Wild Pig Hunting

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried this? I would love to go but would like to go with someone whos done it before. Do you ride around on quads to spot them ??? etc.

There's supposed to be lots around the Alberta Beach area (although I have never seen one and ride there a lot!) and the Mayerthorpe area. :beer::)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Cool .... I'm a little too old for that much running lol. Was thinking more along the lines of a twelve gauge slug! :beer::d

Last edited:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Cool .... I'm a little too old for that much running lol. Was thinking more along the lines of a twelve guage slug! :beer::d

About 6 miles south of Mayerthorpe on hwy #22 there is a game farm on your right. At the west end of that game farm there is a ton of pigs running loose and reeking havoc on buddies game farm fence's. Digging holes under them and disturbing his deer farm. I can't remember the fellows name but he used to let us hunt pigs in there a few years back. If your ever by there just stop in and ask him. If the name comes to me I'll PM you.
Another good place to hunt them down is about 10 miles south from hwy #43 and #18 (Green Court turn off) then west in the low lying swamps. I have seen lots of them in that neck of the woods. There a little skittish out that way. You might want something that will reach out a little further than a 12 gauge slug :d Be sure you have permission on private property, their a little redneck out that way :eek:. Good Luck.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would like to try as well but they are hard to find. seen one this hunting season out on the jack pine reserve but he was runnin b4 i could stop to blast him. the wife and daughter also saw a couple in our back yard a couple weeks ago but same thing were running b4 they saw them

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
About 6 miles south of Mayerthorpe on hwy #22 there is a game farm on your right. At the west end of that game farm there is a ton of pigs running loose and reeking havoc on buddies game farm fence's. Digging holes under them and disturbing his deer farm. I can't remember the fellows name but he used to let us hunt pigs in there a few years back. If your ever by there just stop in and ask him. If the name comes to me I'll PM you.
Another good place to hunt them down is about 10 miles south from hwy #43 and #18 (Green Court turn off) then west in the low lying swamps. I have seen lots of them in that neck of the woods. There a little skittish out that way. You might want something that will reach out a little further than a 12 gauge slug :d Be sure you have permission on private property, their a little redneck out that way :eek:. Good Luck.

Hey thanks Sumx, I will give that a go. As far as fire power I was a little leery of nailing one with my 30.06. Seemed a little overkill! In any case I will take a drive out and introduce myself! ;)

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Sumx, I will give that a go. As far as fire power I was a little leery of nailing one with my 30.06. Seemed a little overkill! In any case I will take a drive out and introduce myself! ;)

Don't worry about overkill, they're big and mean when they want to be.
I've used a 270 and I thought it had good stopping power for pigs. I think it's better to hit them a little harder and make a one shot kill then "wing" it and have to go looking for blood trails.

Anyways Good Luck and happy hunting.:beer:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pigs are tough just nail em with a hunting rifle you would use on moose or other and it should be ok.

i know a guy who pegged one in the forehead with a .17 fireball and it didn't go though but it knocked the pig out anyways and the bullet slid under the skin and stopped at the back of his head.

cut its throat before it came 2 but that said i don't recommend small arms lol.. pigs are tougher than a person would think.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use a bow.... you just need to put it in the right spot thats all

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guys name south of mayerthorpe is wes kesar may not be spelt right but they have a paint ball course out there to and my uncle earl hagman does guided hunts by anselmo if your intersted in that his number will be under mayerthorpe in the book

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might surprise you and i'm sure no wild pig importer will ever admit to it .. but they have and do escape and take off into other areas and they breed like rabbits once out they just spread so yes there is lots of places to find and kill them.

I've heard of lots of pigs spotted a few miles away from hagman's off in the bush living it up and i'm sure they are found even further away by now.

there is a reward for their ears from the wildlife office.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it a couple years a go a pack of about 7 were running the river valley here in Edmonton. They used a chopper with heat seeker to track them. Apparently not too many fences can keep them in and as mentioned, once out they breed like crazy.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the one my buddy shot wasn't even that good tasting .. but that could have been due to time of year , sex , or some other things maybe even just the way it was killed who knows.

i was thinking about finding one and plugging it with my 45-70 and giving it a good bleed then see how it tastes.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another bonus is that the Alberta govt pay ya $50 bucks for a set of ears. So not only does it give you the pleasure of being able to blast the crap out of something but you also get paid a bit for it.:d

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Another bonus is that the Alberta govt pay ya $50 bucks for a set of ears. So not only does it give you the pleasure of being able to blast the crap out of something but you also get paid a bit for it.:d

Really? I didn't realize there was a bounty on the buggers. They are good eating if you wait till fall and pick a nice small young one.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? I didn't realize there was a bounty on the buggers. They are good eating if you wait till fall and pick a nice small young one.

I believe the County of Lac St. Anne paid the $50, it was actually in the journal. Afraid to many pigs would be a problem running loose, make a baby squel and mom will charge as fast as a momma bear.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were doing some pig hunting in Kelowna a few weeks ago - saw a couple, one of them bought us some drinks at Joey's but she was too old, probably would have been tough eating as well so we kept our pistols in our pockets.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:
We were doing some pig hunting in Kelowna a few weeks ago - saw a couple, one of them bought us some drinks at Joey's but she was too old, probably would have been tough eating as well so we kept our pistols in our pockets.

:nono::alol2::alol2: thats to funny..... not right though.

Top Bottom