Who is willing to insure a zr200 kids sled

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So finding out the hard way that insurance companies are refusing to provide coverage for these new machines as they are primarily designed for kids to ride. Been declined by 3 so far with a call in to an ASA sponsor hoping for resolution. Anyone knowing of a company willing to step up on this issue for units to be registered in Alberta please let me know.
Thanks

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So finding out the hard way that insurance companies are refusing to provide coverage for these new machines as they are primarily designed for kids to ride. Been declined by 3 so far with a call in to an ASA sponsor hoping for resolution. Anyone knowing of a company willing to step up on this issue for units to be registered in Alberta please let me know.
Thanks

Thats is bad. Know a family with the Calgary Club bought one for their daughters to operate. we need to be able to get our youth involved if we ever want our recreation to continue.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My kids sled has to be on it's own policy thru Nordic. My agent (mother in law )said that was the only company I was able to do it thru. That was the same for his bike.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just for everyones awareness the ASA supported program at the insurance sponsor does not allow for youth sleds. As it was explained to me this is a requirement of the ASA. This really ticks me off if this is true as our association should be going out of their way to promote family and youth riders. Will bring this up at our local club meeting tonight and then with a note to the ASA themselves.

Still pursuing the other options listed above but steams me to hear about this kind of restriction. Just about as smart as letting me put my kid on my 800 2 stroke but not supporting the 200 4 stroke to learn safely on in the first place.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking from the Alberta POV:
After a bit of checking, Nordic is really the only "stand alone" insurer for this type of thing. Your home insurer may insure it if you are a good client and your broker can talk them into a favor as the underwriters have to bend the rules a bit which really goes against their natural disposition. Intact seems to be one of the insurers voted "most likely to accommodate" if they have your other insurance. Part of the problem is that all motorized vehicles fall under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act which requires compliance with respect to licensing etc.

Check it out - Particularly sections 51 to 54 and 117. http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

Top Bottom