Whitecourt conditions

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have received some new snow!! While its not much we will take it.

The South Groomer operator has been hard at work this week with one day even starting at 3AM!!! The following trails were groomed this week and look pretty prime for the weekend.
The Groat Creek Trail has not been groomed yet this season as the low snow conditions make it impossible to have enough snow to fill creeks and to pull the drag.
Goodwin Lake Trail to the Summit Cabin has been groomed and is in descent condition, with a few pockets of low snow.
The new Bessie Creek Trail (sorry out of towner’s, this one is not on the maps yet but is signed) has been groomed and is in great shape!
This also means that a large portion on the Manweiler from the Summit Cabin to the River has been groomed and is also in great shape. Grooming stops just a couple of kms short of the Athabasca River.
The Silver Summit trail has been groomed to the NEW Shinningbank lookout. The trail groomed well with a few pockets of low snow followed by great snow! The trail has not been groomed past the Shinningbank lookout due to some unexpected industry activity on/beside the trail. We would ask people to avoid the area past the lookout heading towards Silver Summit until we have a chance to talk to the industry reps.

The North Groomer was went out this week as well and is currently working on filling all the creeks on the north trails. This is not really going to improve the trails to the north a bunch besides making the creeks easier to cross.
The Golden Triangle trail is being worked on to make sure that the trail is clear but at this time the trail North to Swan Hills is heavy with leaners and some unexpected industry activity north of the Blue Ridge Haul Road. We currently do not recommend travel north past the Blue Ridge haul road until we can get the trail clear. The Golden Triangle committee has a goal of having the Triangle cleaned and groomed by Feb 1[SUP]st[/SUP] every year.

I am still getting lots of positive reports of people finding snow in our area, also people reporting back that even though the trails are rough it beats not riding at all. I have been receiving pictures daily of people that are out enjoying what little we have for snow and being told that they will continue to ride until all the snow is packed or gone.
If you do decide to come ride Whitecourt in the next week or so, please keep in mind that we have no control over the snow, we are all VOLUNTEERS, and we are doing the best we can.

Please use Extreme Caution when crossing water including rivers, lakes, ponds and streams. Some of these smaller water spots may look frozen but may have rotten ice due to the recent warmer weather.

The trail behind Millar Western has eroded to the point of not being able to get the groomer through this season. A meeting was held between the Town of Whitecourt, The Whitecourt Trailblazers and Miller Western and it was decided that the trail would be closed for the season. This is due to the erosion and the unpredictable way the river is eroding the bank at this spot. We apologize for the inconvenience but it was deemed a hazard that could not be contained. The Town and the Trailblazers are discussing possible other routes from downtown to the trail system, and we will keep you updated as a solution is found.

Next General Meeting is Jan13th @7:30 Downstairs at the Legion
Pick up a trail pass or raffle tickets for a sledder in your life today!!

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have received some new snow!! While its not much we will take it.

The South Groomer operator has been hard at work this week with one day even starting at 3AM!!! The following trails were groomed this week and look pretty prime for the weekend.
The Groat Creek Trail has not been groomed yet this season as the low snow conditions make it impossible to have enough snow to fill creeks and to pull the drag.
Goodwin Lake Trail to the Summit Cabin has been groomed and is in descent condition, with a few pockets of low snow.
The new Bessie Creek Trail (sorry out of towner’s, this one is not on the maps yet but is signed) has been groomed and is in great shape!
This also means that a large portion on the Manweiler from the Summit Cabin to the River has been groomed and is also in great shape. Grooming stops just a couple of kms short of the Athabasca River.
The Silver Summit trail has been groomed to the NEW Shinningbank lookout. The trail groomed well with a few pockets of low snow followed by great snow! The trail has not been groomed past the Shinningbank lookout due to some unexpected industry activity on/beside the trail. We would ask people to avoid the area past the lookout heading towards Silver Summit until we have a chance to talk to the industry reps.

The North Groomer was went out this week as well and is currently working on filling all the creeks on the north trails. This is not really going to improve the trails to the north a bunch besides making the creeks easier to cross.
The Golden Triangle trail is being worked on to make sure that the trail is clear but at this time the trail North to Swan Hills is heavy with leaners and some unexpected industry activity north of the Blue Ridge Haul Road. We currently do not recommend travel north past the Blue Ridge haul road until we can get the trail clear. The Golden Triangle committee has a goal of having the Triangle cleaned and groomed by Feb 1[SUP]st[/SUP] every year.

I am still getting lots of positive reports of people finding snow in our area, also people reporting back that even though the trails are rough it beats not riding at all. I have been receiving pictures daily of people that are out enjoying what little we have for snow and being told that they will continue to ride until all the snow is packed or gone.
If you do decide to come ride Whitecourt in the next week or so, please keep in mind that we have no control over the snow, we are all VOLUNTEERS, and we are doing the best we can.

Please use Extreme Caution when crossing water including rivers, lakes, ponds and streams. Some of these smaller water spots may look frozen but may have rotten ice due to the recent warmer weather.

The trail behind Millar Western has eroded to the point of not being able to get the groomer through this season. A meeting was held between the Town of Whitecourt, The Whitecourt Trailblazers and Miller Western and it was decided that the trail would be closed for the season. This is due to the erosion and the unpredictable way the river is eroding the bank at this spot. We apologize for the inconvenience but it was deemed a hazard that could not be contained. The Town and the Trailblazers are discussing possible other routes from downtown to the trail system, and we will keep you updated as a solution is found.

Next General Meeting is Jan13th @7:30 Downstairs at the Legion
Pick up a trail pass or raffle tickets for a sledder in your life today!!
Where does a fella stage for the groomed trails listed above. We have only ever rode the north trails from Eagle river staging area.
TIA for any info.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Where does a fella stage for the groomed trails listed above. We have only ever rode the north trails from Eagle river staging area.
TIA for any info.
Go to the Whitecourt Trailblazers website. They have GREAT maps on there showing everything you need to know.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep probably just gonna work, no worries blue river next weekend, ill get my fill

Sent from my iPhone because who uses a computer anymore

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I had some buddies go up for the day today. They said it's the last trip there until they get a reload. They need it BAD. And apparently the groomer DID screw up a portion of the trail pretty bad. Unfortunately.

I wasn't there to witness it first hand tho. Just what I was told by my buddies. They wouldn't have any reason to lie to me tho.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had some buddies go up for the day today. They said it's the last trip there until they get a reload. They need it BAD. And apparently the groomer DID screw up a portion of the trail pretty bad. Unfortunately.

Like I said, its pretty ugly but no dont believe the guy who has put a 1000 miles on around here every year for the last 9 years

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode Today (Jan 16th).
Rode the North side. Staged at Eagle River trails are rough. Hard packed and rough. Even where the groomer went

They need snow bad up there.

We ended up playing on Powerlines and pipelines to find any snow.
Of course my Rip cord had to break again (3rd time this season, I need to find thicker cord).
Then my throttle stuck wide open in a tight section. Lucky I was quick on the kill switch. Thinking the cable had some moisture and froze.

And at the end of the day. My hood breaks. The piece on the hood that connects to the hood support cable broke. Now I have a small hole in my hood.

So ya some repairs are needed.
But it was still a good day. We had a blast.

mxcollector

Reaction score
Rode the Summit trail , newly Betsy creek trail ,Manweiler trail put on over 130 km today .....it's rough close to the airport and some section of Summit but with some long nice portion ( 40% rough 60% nice )

Found some good untouch snow in cut lines ... uploadfromtaptalk1453005763021.jpg

We need snow for sure but overall it was a good ride !

To the club volunteers that groom , fix cabins , install sign , get trail approved , cut dead falls and clear the trails ,etc .... don't listen to negative comments and let this discouraged you .

.....thank you and guys have my respect and appreciation !!!!

Last edited:

rpenno

Reaction score
Looking at heading out to Whitecourt on Friday for a ride. Given the latest rain and warm weather is there any snow left?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking at heading out to Whitecourt on Friday for a ride. Given the latest rain and warm weather is there any snow left?
Whitecourt is hosting a VIP and Media ride on Friday please watch for this large group of people when you are riding or join up with that group.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of rain here yesterday there will be bare patches. Scratchers will be a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa1970

Reaction score
Hoping for more snow before Family day long weekend. Plan on being there from Friday until Monday. Was really excited to go until the rain hit yesterday. Come on SNOW !

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If we don't get any I would make other plans. Apparently 08 Feb is the go/no go date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far there is still pretty decent snow south-west of town. I would stay away from the Groat Creek trail though. It has not been groomed due to lack of snow and hills and creek crossings are nasty.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We havent had decent snow yet this year, dont know how it could still be decent south west of town

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you wanna wear out scratchers, sliders, carbides, skis, tracks, break and bend a arms then yes by all means its decent

Top Bottom