What to pack for backcountry sledding?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pack pencil flares to not to many have them! One other thing I pack is my avalanche avaluator card so I can assess the conditions through out the day.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am amazed at how well planned and thought out all of the suggestions are. Kind of speaks to the benefit of doing a bit of distribution with your riding buddies to spread the load a bit. Kinda illustrates the futility of spending big money shedding the last few grams of weight from your sled -what is the point if you have 2 axes? I'd feel very confident riding with any of you.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of flares are you packing? The type that use a gun? Hand held? Are they marine grade? Be a great asset for starting a fire

snowshoes is one I am packing this year for when I am out solo. With a group I don't see the need, unless you drop into a area you cannot get out of.

Just a pencil flare that u can screw a bear banger on or a flare to shoot in the air so someone can find you. Any safety supply store sells them. Or Gregg's distributors

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised tampons haven't been mentioned. They make a great fire starter. Dip them in the fuel tank, light them and it makes getting a fire going pretty easy.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of flares are you packing? The type that use a gun? Hand held? Are they marine grade? Be a great asset for starting a fire

snowshoes is one I am packing this year for when I am out solo. With a group I don't see the need, unless you drop into a area you cannot get out of.

I just pack pencil flares. I picked them up at Wholesale Sports.

I am amazed at how well planned and thought out all of the suggestions are. Kind of speaks to the benefit of doing a bit of distribution with your riding buddies to spread the load a bit. Kinda illustrates the futility of spending big money shedding the last few grams of weight from your sled -what is the point if you have 2 axes? I'd feel very confident riding with any of you.

If you count the saw I have built into my shovel I have 3. The benefit being, a lot of people I know don't carry one. Had to start a fire last year to keep some people warm while someone ran to the trucks to get tow ropes, so I handed out my spare shovels to get help cutting wood and setting a base up for the fire. Plus the one I carry in my pack is a great one, the one on the sled is pretty good, and the one in my shovel is crap. I've actually even considered buying a hand held Stihl small saw. Would sure make fire starting and stucks on trees a breeze! lol

I'm surprised tampons haven't been mentioned. They make a great fire starter. Dip them in the fuel tank, light them and it makes getting a fire going pretty easy.

well...as a girl I always have tampons and TP around, lol. Another good fast way to start fire is to have cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly in a zip loc bag. Also a bag of Doritos works as kindling too. I just like to have multiple ways to start fires just in case.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing a lot of people may not think about...it is a tad morbid, but I always make sure I have a piece of ID on me...just in case.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. I also thought I went prepared but after seeing that list I'm gonna have to load my avy bag even more. One thing I always carry are a couple percosets. I busted my collar bone out quading one time and I was super grateful my buddy happened to had a few. People like rowdy are the people I would head out with anytime! Even places like silent pass are a long ride out, I couldn't imagine making that treck with a broken bone.

It's interesting you mention that because I had lunch with some sledders last week and we chatted about this briefly. Giving an injured person alcohol isn't a good idea, but percosets could potentially be a good idea to have on hand. HOWEVER..going to the Five Rights of Medication as a first aider, you cannot give someone medication that isn't theirs. If they ask for it you can merely put it within their reach for them to take themselves.

Obviously real world scenario, I would be giving my buddies what they needed at the time. But it would be important to know the people in your group, allergies, sensitivities etc. As an asthmatic, I am sensitive to certain medications, they can actually give me an asthma attack and make the situation much worse. This is why on my cell phone, my home locked screen has my ICE information. Who to call, and my medical alert for asthma and my allergies to medication.

I will personally be adding some form of pain medication to my kits for serious injuries.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a FYI the saw in your shovel is intended for cutting snow not wood.... I pack pretty light... Best thing is to ride with people that know what they are doing. Run into less problems that way.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not gonna force any kind of medication on anyone, but it could be a long bumpy ride out. Even for someone thats not injured, i know im usually sore as hell after getting back to the truck just dealing with all the bumps and ruts created throughout the day. And for the very little room they take up, why not. Also i know its not something you can get over the counter, but after having a few injuries i wont throw out leftovers till there expired.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be a tad "over prepared" but this is what I have on me. I am probably forgetting some things but you get the jist.

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack
- cell phone turned off in pelican case

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- orange hand smoke signal
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea
- Sam splint

That is pretty thorough list and similar to what I carry. I carry my stuff in three seperate bags (two are zippered thermos vynil bags) that do not get opened for regular use and are specicif to each condition that are labeeled for others in case I can not use due to injury.
1) Fire Bag
-two bic lighters
-water proof matches in sealed container
-fire starter sticks
-small can to melt snow
-extendable hot dog cooker to hold can
-small folding knife

2) Tool bag
- stubby multi tip screw driver
-leatheterman
-tie wire
-elec tape
-duct tape transferred to a smalle core
-multi allen tip kit
-multi torx tip kit
-asorted bolts
-small cresent
-two muffler springs
-small zip ties
-two flares
-tow rope

First aid kit

-9 triangular (need 7 for a femor)
-nonstick compression pads
-gauze rolls
-scissors
-tweezers
-tensor wrap
-saty pins
-alcohol wipes
-dissinfectant wipes
-medical tape
-assorted bandages up to 3" pads
-mouth to mouth barrier
-disposable gloves
-needle/thread
-pain killer meds
-other misc if I dig throgh the red bag
-reflective sheet
Basically enough to do a femor and another broken limb and a puncture or two-splints come from trees and padding from spare clothes

Avy pack has one pair heavy wool socks, one heavy fleece turtle neck, two pairs gortex gloves, spare glasses, 10X monocular

Water and food in sled - will be easier to store thisyear in compartments that the XM has.

Surprisingly this does not take as much room as one may think but there is a weight factor and my ABS bag does probably weigh 25-30# - gets your back in shape. Really not bad and when we had some real backcountry to ride (used to ride all wenkend and not see another group until the caribou became a prized creature) and was deffinatly necessary for peace of mind. Also always had a sat. phone and all emerg # for commn riding areas in it's waterproof pouch.
Bigger tools were carried by others in the group incuding primary and secondary clucth tools and parts for rebuild on hill up to pulling clutch to repair seal. This was made easier as everyone rode a doo except for one cat.

There is a huge difference to riding backcountry to club areas. I have poasted several times on the gear we used to pack in for our three day stays at the cabin right at Kakwa Lake - no going back to town. When we used to hit the secret spots we were always ready to keep an injured person on the hill over night. Two of us had wilderness survival and emergency scene management training and would be the chosen ones to stay overnight. Each person had a job up to making use of AST 1 training. Searcher, foreman, shovel and probe assembly and digger jobs were issued to persons prior to leaving trucks in the morning. We took our backcountry pretty serious and never got into trouble we could not get out of(and unfortuatly we have patched up people). We have slacked off a bit since we ride a lot of club areas now but as my daughter wants to come with me it is back to AST 1training for us.

Long winded story but mountain riding it is the best fun if you are prepared.

And ya cancritter I'll take some directions as I do miss the real back country rides.

Last edited:

framtam

Reaction score
Additionally, I pack a ratchet strap (used more than once), something to drink (ppl actually forget this), zip-ties... 2way radios aren't a bad idea, neither is a tool kit to leave in the truck.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water is very important!!you want to avoid dehydration in a survival situation.beer and or red bull are not good hydration (any sugary drink for that matter)I like using too way radios.Easy to loose people when in the trees

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is pretty thorough list and similar to what I carry. I carry my stuff in three seperate bags (two are zippered thermos vynil bags) that do not get opened for regular use and are specicif to each condition that are labeeled for others in case I can not use due to injury.
1) Fire Bag
-two bic lighters
-water proof matches in sealed container
-fire starter sticks
-small can to melt snow
-extendable hot dog cooker to hold can
-small folding knife

2) Tool bag
- stubby multi tip screw driver
-leatheterman
-tie wire
-elec tape
-duct tape transferred to a smalle core
-multi allen tip kit
-multi torx tip kit
-asorted bolts
-small cresent
-two muffler springs
-small zip ties
-two flares
-tow rope

First aid kit

-9 triangular (need 7 for a femor)
-nonstick compression pads
-gauze rolls
-scissors
-tweezers
-tensor wrap
-saty pins
-alcohol wipes
-dissinfectant wipes
-medical tape
-assorted bandages up to 3" pads
-mouth to mouth barrier
-disposable gloves
-needle/thread
-pain killer meds
-other misc if I dig throgh the red bag
-reflective sheet
Basically enough to do a femor and another broken limb and a puncture or two-splints come from trees and padding from spare clothes

Avy pack has one pair heavy wool socks, one heavy fleece turtle neck, two pairs gortex gloves, spare glasses, 10X monocular

Water and food in sled - will be easier to store thisyear in compartments that the XM has.

Surprisingly this does not take as much room as one may think but there is a weight factor and my ABS bag does probably weigh 25-30# - gets your back in shape. Really not bad and when we had some real backcountry to ride (used to ride all wenkend and not see another group until the caribou became a prized creature) and was deffinatly necessary for peace of mind. Also always had a sat. phone and all emerg # for commn riding areas in it's waterproof pouch.
Bigger tools were carried by others in the group incuding primary and secondary clucth tools and parts for rebuild on hill up to pulling clutch to repair seal. This was made easier as everyone rode a doo except for one cat.

There is a huge difference to riding backcountry to club areas. I have poasted several times on the gear we used to pack in for our three day stays at the cabin right at Kakwa Lake - no going back to town. When we used to hit the secret spots we were always ready to keep an injured person on the hill over night. Two of us had wilderness survival and emergency scene management training and would be the chosen ones to stay overnight. Each person had a job up to making use of AST 1 training. Searcher, foreman, shovel and probe assembly and digger jobs were issued to persons prior to leaving trucks in the morning. We took our backcountry pretty serious and never got into trouble we could not get out of(and unfortuatly we have patched up people). We have slacked off a bit since we ride a lot of club areas now but as my daughter wants to come with me it is back to AST 1training for us.

Long winded story but mountain riding it is the best fun if you are prepared.

And ya cancritter I'll take some directions as I do miss the real back country rides.

Good points. You know I have been back at Alexander at Kakwa and come across guys with no backpack no tunnel bag for gear or anything. Sure wouldn't want to be around those guys if things ever went south. That's a long way from anywhere to have no safety supplies.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always have a couple of "crazy carpets" at the pick-up with some very large zip ties...its amazing how easy a sled pull with those under the track (especially if the track won't turn) !!!!

kfrey

Reaction score
A couple of perhaps obvious things not yet mentioned. Various ropes for pulling or towing and a couple of small double pulleys. Have pulled some sleds out of creeks with those. If only two of us riding I have a small come along.

Last edited by a moderator:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great post Rowdy, gives riders an idea that there is more to back country safety than a shovel probe and beacon. Went and picked up a Pen Flare/Banger kit today for 28.00. :cool::beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my clear pocket of my pack I have an enlarged pic of my drivers licence. On the back it has my emergency contact info, sled and vehicle info just incase.

Knife
leatherman
head light
lighter
gloves
goggles
lenses
tampon
sh1t titickets
flask
first aid kit
tylonol 3
robax
advil
pen fflare
canned flame
rope
refelctive blanket
probly other stuff hidden in there. Been a while since I've went through it

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious what everyone packs for backcountry sledding? I have been out of the game for awhile. I Bought a new PRO RMK 800 163 and I have basic the avalanche gear (ABS pack, probe, shovel, beacon, first aid kit, matches, lighter). I have some sled parts (spare drive belt, plugs). Not sure what I should carry for tools but I have some tie wraps and duct tape. I don't want to overpack but I just want to make sure that I have what I may need.

worst case scenario double that and your probably 50% prepared! id rather have a overweight pack and a 10 minute rummage on the sled then be without at least enough to sustain yourself for one night........

xpsledneck

Reaction score
so now i weigh 500lbs better just stay home LOL
I might be a tad "over prepared" but this is what I have on me. I am probably forgetting some things but you get the jist.

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea
- Sam splint

SRT

Reaction score

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea
- Sam splint

This is a good list because it describes what is carried in sled and in your pack. My buddy carries as little in his pack because it's too heavy. I find most stuff gets beat up when on my sled... Like my lunch an water bottles get smashed and leak everywhere.

Just killing time.

Top Bottom