What to pack for backcountry sledding?

Jingledink

Reaction score
I am curious what everyone packs for backcountry sledding? I have been out of the game for awhile. I Bought a new PRO RMK 800 163 and I have basic the avalanche gear (ABS pack, probe, shovel, beacon, first aid kit, matches, lighter). I have some sled parts (spare drive belt, plugs). Not sure what I should carry for tools but I have some tie wraps and duct tape. I don't want to overpack but I just want to make sure that I have what I may need.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be a tad "over prepared" but this is what I have on me. I am probably forgetting some things but you get the jist.

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack
- cell phone turned off in pelican case

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- orange hand smoke signal
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea
- Sam splint

Last edited:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krista I think you got everything!! You have two saws ..headlamp flashlight and lantern..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be a tad "over prepared" but this is what I have on me. I am probably forgetting some things but you get the jist.

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea

Don't see the kitchen sink in that list Krista. Baaaaaaaaaaaa. Wow how do ya fit it all

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Jingledink

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the info. I am going to need to rethink my packing!

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion after getting pinned between a tree and a sled I always carry my pencil flare in the breast pocket of my coat. If nobody seen where you went you might have a better chance of firing off a flare if you can reach it easily. Just a thought. Your the only other person I have seen that carries one!!

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had to stay out because of something that happened to me or my group. I have however stayed out overnight helping someone else. Usually because I was the one prepared to stay out.

I pack about as much as Rowdy. And funny - I have used everything in my pack at least once over the years. Even the bear bangers. LOL. But that was in the summer.

Does anyone know where to get some decent air splints? I had some backcountry ones in my pack last year (non inflatable) and used them both up. I was thinking and arm and a leg inflatable one may take less room and be more useful.

And a little more elegant than the tree branches and duct tape I usually use.....

And the jet boil is great for making tea to go with the rum!

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had to stay out because of something that happened to me or my group. I have however stayed out overnight helping someone else. Usually because I was the one prepared to stay out.

I pack about as much as Rowdy. And funny - I have used everything in my pack at least once over the years. Even the bear bangers. LOL. But that was in the summer.

Does anyone know where to get some decent air splints? I had some backcountry ones in my pack last year (non inflatable) and used them both up. I was thinking and arm and a leg inflatable one may take less room and be more useful.

And a little more elegant than the tree branches and duct tape I usually use.....

And the jet boil is great for making tea to go with the rum!

I used to pack everything in my pack too...it was VERY heavy. I actually forgot to put on that list that I carry Sam Splints. Very good versatile product. I highly recommend them. You can even make a c-collar out of them. Picked mine up at Vereburn.

Splint Sam Grey Foam 4 1/2 x 36 [SPLINTQU000022AB] - $12.99 : Vereburn Medical Supply, Canadas leading Medical Supply Distributors for Hospitals, Sport Medicine, Emergency Medical, and Industrial First Aid, Vereburn Medical Supply, Canadas leading Me

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rowdy. Have never seen that stuff - ordering 2 right now. Those will take up a lot less space

Yeah they do. Also, Vereburn has their own generic brand, but I don't know what it's called, it is cheaper. :)

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion after getting pinned between a tree and a sled I always carry my pencil flare in the breast pocket of my coat. If nobody seen where you went you might have a better chance of firing off a flare if you can reach it easily. Just a thought. Your the only other person I have seen that carries one!!

I carry a pencil flare, good call on making it accessible I never thought about that reason for having em close! I've been pinned to a tree by snow while strapped to a snowboard and lucky I had someone watch it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am really considering bring my snow shoes with me full time.its was next to imposible to walk in the snow last wednesday.And all the time i couldn't help but think if i stayed the night how pissed off i would be at myself for not having them!!!Fire wood is top of the list for survival!!

Last edited:

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
belive they come in 6x6x10 in case..can throw that in my powder keg easy without takein up alota space...always try to ride with a bud but when your not these could come in handy real fast

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this stuff is good and I even used to set up my sleds for fuel for 250KM (one person was sat. phone, I packed the firstaid gear which all were trained to use and two guys were tools and parts) of spring riding but really what long range back country is still open that you can not get to the road in 2 hours other than the very south and north of BC??? Maybe Kakwa in the middle but not a lot of REAL long range riding out there any more. Please correct me with directions if I am wrong but think not. Long range is when you have to stay overnight everything else is a sat. or spot call away.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. I also thought I went prepared but after seeing that list I'm gonna have to load my avy bag even more. One thing I always carry are a couple percosets. I busted my collar bone out quading one time and I was super grateful my buddy happened to had a few. People like rowdy are the people I would head out with anytime! Even places like silent pass are a long ride out, I couldn't imagine making that treck with a broken bone.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this stuff is good and I even used to set up my sleds for fuel for 250KM (one person was sat. phone, I packed the firstaid gear which all were trained to use and two guys were tools and parts) of spring riding but really what long range back country is still open that you can not get to the road in 2 hours other than the very south and north of BC??? Maybe Kakwa in the middle but not a lot of REAL long range riding out there any more. Please correct me with directions if I am wrong but think not. Long range is when you have to stay overnight everything else is a sat. or spot call away.

wants directions as well.....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of flares are you packing? The type that use a gun? Hand held? Are they marine grade? Be a great asset for starting a fire

snowshoes is one I am packing this year for when I am out solo. With a group I don't see the need, unless you drop into a area you cannot get out of.

Top Bottom