What to carry in the backcountry

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a about 10 yrs since taking Zacs Avy course, but something Lori did suggest & we still have on each pack is a "vac pack" with lighter / candle / choc bar granola bar & dry soup mix / dryer lint / flashlight mini. with extra batterries & flare sticks. Water & food for the day are on sleds. Another good fire starter tip is a pop can filled with gas (will burn to get fire lit for 15-20 minutes). We also carry all the standard avy & backcountry gear (Spot was added last season). On a side note toilet paper is also a nessity & extra rolls are usually added depending which areas are riden! I emptied out 3 rolls from the wifes sled from the last seasons ride:d;)

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much just the essentials like what 2003summit said, just some stuff to keep you alive and warm for the night, i dont carry a hatchet but instead a folding saw. For 30$ its pretty good and fits in any compartment space on the sled. Dont carry a pack, not a mountain rider, but just basic survival things that fit in nooks and crannies on the sled.
Also if you bring clothes and blankets with you make sure you put them in ziplock bags and squeeze the air out of them to cut down on space.

Does anybody use saddle bags when ridding in the mountains?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whenever we go riding out of the yard i try to take my pack. as anyone who mountain rides i would hope they keep all the survival gear on their person. one way or another. like ron said. in an avy you may lose the sled and the buddies. sure would be nice to have all your stuff on you. instead of buried with them or the machine. but some good lists on here anyways.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Holy crap some of you guys are over kill. I carry the basic avy survival gear then just some water, fuel, clothes and food. With that I can survive for days if needed. In this case tho I'll just wave to one of you fellows for anything I may have forgotten. Oh ya I do carry beer too. be a long night without it. :beer::d:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Oh I did forget that I do carry basic tools for repair, tow ropes etc. too.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to fill your head with knowledge than fill your backpack

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to fill your head with knowledge than fill your backpack

Yeah, but id rather keep warm with an empty head by the fire, then freeze over night and reflect on my knowledge.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have been backcountry riding for many years, its only in the last few years that i start emptying out my pack in the fall and re-packing everything. i pack everything in my pack i need to survive, i dont rely on the sled. sort of think of loosing your sled and having to spend a night or to in the snow. there are several good biviy sacks and/or survival blankets that realy make it more comfertable to spend the night. i also carry extra cloths, if there is trouble, odds are you were sweating and damp, even with gortex clothing. just a few ideas, i have a few list made, if i find them i will post a list. also tell people were you are going, and if you carry radios, let people what chanel you are one, makes it alot easyer to find you

ride safe
giddyup

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the new things that i started carrying this year in my tunnel bag was a pair of snow shoes and retractable ski poles. A little easier walking out ankles deep then crotch deep. They call me Mr.gadget cause of all the stuff i carry in my back pack and tunnel bag, but i have a wife and two beautiful little girls that need me at home.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 122

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good list of items guys im new to the sport my wife and I are prepping our selves for making a trip to the mountains with some experienced riders but I am still a little leery of going I lost my uncle 10 years ago to one and I don't want to put my parents through that again. I live in the Calgary area does anybody have suggestions for avalanche courses? Are they worth while or are they pretty common sense! Thanks again guys! Good luck and good riding and don't forget to pray for snow!

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good list of items guys im new to the sport my wife and I are prepping our selves for making a trip to the mountains with some experienced riders but I am still a little leery of going I lost my uncle 10 years ago to one and I don't want to put my parents through that again. I live in the Calgary area does anybody have suggestions for avalanche courses? Are they worth while or are they pretty common sense! Thanks again guys! Good luck and good riding and don't forget to pray for snow!

Taking an avalanche course is a good thing to do for yourself, your family and the people you ride with. I have been riding in the moutains for 9 years now and just took my first avalanche course the past December through ZacsTracs. It's amazing the things you don't pay attention to until you do take an avy course. They show you all the things you should pack when you're backcountry sledding too. Have fun and be safe!!

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crankshaft in a can [ for my buddys on polaris's ]
compression in a can [ for my buddys on doo's ]
5 hour energy drink [ over weight yamaha's ]
can of whoopass in the seat of my M8 and thermas of coffee&sugar

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good posts here. The one thing I will add that I havent seen here is a cell phone. Not any cell phone, just an old one that still work but is disconnected. All cell phones, connected or not will call 9-1-1. May not work in the mountains, but may work around home.

I leave my work cell phone turned off in my pocket, as they are said to mess with beacons senses :)

Top Bottom