What should i look out for when buying a snowmobile

SnowX51

Reaction score
hey great site,
but anyways, i just wanted to get an idea of what i should look out for when i'm buying a pre-owned sled.

Thanks!

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey great site,
but anyways, i just wanted to get an idea of what i should look out for when i'm buying a pre-owned sled.

Thanks!
I`d look for the word "polaris" and then run as far away as possible,lol. Seriously you may want to add want kind of riding you plan on doing. I look for loose steering, how well the sled starts. Turn it over on its side and check the carbides, and track and bottom of belly for dents. Look under the hood and look for oil or coolant leaks. Check the belt and look for black marks on the clutches. If you can test ride it check the shocks...does it bottom out over bumps even when the spring is dialed up. some sleds have rebuildable shocks some have to be replaced. Cracked wheels or rails and look at where the bolts for the rear skid bolt to the tunnel. If its been jumped alot the holes maybe ovaled or even new holes drilled and the skid moved.

SnowX51

Reaction score
thanks! But from what i've heard, polaris supersport's are a great sled. Em i right? Or is that just bull?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
welcome to the site. Myself I would like to know the previous owner if possible. Anyone can make a sled look "purdy" for sale but was it really looked after, cleaned lots, consistant oil used, prem. gas used. Look for any hack jobs in the wiring. I'll have an 08 xp 154 for sale in April real cheap. :D

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey great site,

Thanks!

If you are not experienced with identifying some of the wear and tare details or symtoms of some major mechanical issue as described in a couple of the replys above you should ALWAYS bring a friend with experience to help you avoid buying a piece of junk. :)

If you're looking at a Cat, bring a Cat guy... a Polaris, bring a Polaris guy... a Yamaha, bring a Yamaha guy... a Doo, bring a Cat guy to talk some sence to Ya and help snap you back to reality :D:D

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your next sled.

SnowX51

Reaction score
Thanks, one more thing, if someone was selling a supersport for $3200, should i buy it? Or don't even pay any attention at it?

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, one more thing, if someone was selling a supersport for $3200, should i buy it? Or don't even pay any attention at it?

Depends...maybe the guy needs to sell it fast cause the gf is pregnant or something like that. Angry wife at home has alot of influence on things like that.
Seeing that your from Winnipeg and if this is a local sled I can bet you it has seen it's fair share of WFO ditch banging and some river runnin'. Does the suspension feel bagged out? When you push down on the front and rear suspensions does it return to ride height and how much does the shock extend when you pick up on the front or rear of the machine. Springs may be sacked out. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the supersport's come with rebuildable fox shocks or was that just the XCR's? Is there oil in the chain case and are there filings stuck to the end of the dipstick? Buying a used sled is like buying a used car or truck......Use your judgement

SnowX51

Reaction score
thanks, haven't taken a look at it yet, but I'll be sure to check out those things before preceding

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well have I got a deal for you,I had a guy come and look at a sled I have for sale,thinking this sled is perfect I decide I'm not even going to start it up and hopefully the guy will see how confident I am in this sled,As far as I know this thing is mint,ridin mostly by women and kids and very well taken care of.He shows up,I give him the key and promise it will start in less than two pulls which it did.Unfortunatly it siezed on one side as soon as it fired.So anything can happen as stated above.So now someone is getting a mint sled with a new topend(hense...the deal).
As bigfoot said,a compression test is simple and rewarding!
Good luck on your search!
catmando!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check on a Polaris that the hood fits well into the grooves and the clutch cover is easy to slide the pin through - sure sign of damage. Also know the sled you are after - the graphics it came with etc and it should be easy to check for swapped out parts. Have a look on the chaincase stick - sludge is fine - pieces are not! Ask him to identify anything that may be wrong with the sled before you start checking it over and then you will get an idea of the honesty of the seller if you start finding things that were not revealed.

And - go in the daylight or with a good flashlight. Feel the motor to see if it is warm and has been started and take your time going over it. Best of luck.

What will a compression test reveal about the top end? Could it not be just a case of worn rings if the compression is low? Not a for sure that a new top end is needed - is that right?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I have to put rings in a sled after I buy it I'm not buying it.The rings are just the start of things to come.
catmando!

Top Bottom