What causes brakes to do this?

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Mazda cars rear brakes are like this. Is it because too hard of brake pads, not using the E brake when parked, thanks for advice.

Attachments

• DSCN2827.jpg
    DSCN2827.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 348

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with northern bear. Pull them apart and likely find that you need a whole brake job. Big tip would be to make sure you clean and lube the slide pins with silicone lube when reassembling. Clean frames and abutment clips with clean and well lubed slide pins make for a happy disk brake system.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and say possible small wheel hub runout. Is the brake disc shiny on the top inner side like it is on the bottom outer side? Sticking slider pins will usually cause excessive wear to the inner pad over the outer,.. or vice versa,.. I can't remember

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys I haven't taken anything apart yet. Appreciate the Advice though.

seen46

Reaction score
See this all the time. Basically on most cars, the rear brakes provide minimal braking contribution during normal driving. So, flakes of Rust from the rotor. Are breaking off and getting embedded in the pad and rotor surface, before they can burn off... You can try driving more aggressively, try a harder pad material, or a coated rotor to try to prevent the rust from forming as long a possible.

Last edited:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a guy use that copper antiseize instead of silicon lube? Yes i am NOT a really aggressive driver. LOL.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about old school Nev’r Seize....zinc I think....? I tend to use that chit like Frank’s Red Hot....

Bostik Nevr Seize is copper and graphite based.

Anti-seize really isn't designed for constantly moving parts like slider pins. It hardens up over time, it works well on threads because it forms a layer between the threads making eventually removal easier.

Regular bearing grease would probably be a better idea. Personally I just use the silicon pin grease, but I don't screw around with brakes, if there's one system on a vehicle I always want to work that's it.

Top Bottom