Warning for Sask. Sledders.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats this about. Link wouldnt open for me as I am not on facebook.

it was just an ice heave on emma lake north of prince albert. Its nothing big, we get them on Candle lake all the time, big enough to drive a truck under some times. You just have to watch......no different than looking for holes, rivers, cliffs in the mountains. Only issue is people get on the lake and pin it up to 90-100 mph and hit one and total sled and get super hurt.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get similar on Good Spirit the odd year. With the flat light it can be fairly unnoticeable until you are right at it. Seen as tall as 6' some years on that lake.

Jay845

Reaction score
Looks like decent snow on the lake. Any idea what the areas in the bush/trails look like?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get some nasty 3' mud/ice heave too
One guy hit one and broke both knees and hips and was air lifted by stars
Totaled the new sled - like hitting a brick wall at 100km -- the sled stops dead if you hit the down under slope of the heave -- if you hit the up slope you are air born and crashing anyways -- no win..

We tell everyone "if you want to race -- lay a track across the lake making sure there are no heaves and then race back down your OWN track"

Attachments

• 2007-12-16DSCN0087.jpg
    2007-12-16DSCN0087.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 566
  • 2007-12-16DSCN0088.jpg
    2007-12-16DSCN0088.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Emma usually never has a ice heave is the thing so most people never think of that on this lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Lakeland Snowmobile Club will have that marked fairly well as there are a few trails that go across the lake. I'm just not sure if the making starts when the grooming does. That heave there ight be bad new for the holiday nonsense that goes on in that area.... As kovs said, heaves are rare on Emma. I've come across small ones on Christopher which is the neighbouring lake, but nothing that big.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tell everyone "if you want to race -- lay a track across the lake making sure there are no heaves and then race back down your OWN track"
Great advice ... how many people get busted up each year flying across a lake / field that they have no idea whats buried under ... stumps / rocks / ice ledges

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last winter it was irrigation ditches around Saskatoon that killed people.

Top Bottom