VES Red Oil vs Gold

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not new. racing oil been around for years. good oil. I used to use it over the gold. pours easier in colder temps.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes its been out for a while. They call is there racing oil. Supposed to work better for high rpm applications.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about polaris race oil, but typically "race" blend oils (example amsoil dominator) don't have the additives to protect your engine internals from rust in between run times. This is fine for engines that get disassembled frequently for inspection / rebuild in a sponsored racing environment, not so much for the average pull and go snowmobiler.
Does the polaris red race oil meet the specs outlined in warrantee?

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is what it is, I'm not an expert. But it claims to be on the packaging, and rust forms quickly inside my engines when stored after using it.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of full synthetic 2 stroke oil in the first place, but my understanding is that most 2 stoke oils that are marketed as "race" have additives for lowest possible friction, but don't have a lasting coat between run times, possibly also a lack of rust inhibitor in the additive package?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Legend ZX-2SR (mineral based). Take a look at the test specs, it far surpasses everything out there. I too am not a fan of full synthetics in a 2 stroke application.

THRILL_SEEKER

Reaction score
Dominator might say on jug "Race oil" I can't remember been a while since I used Amsoil but they have an actual oil that is red and is classified as Amsoils "Race oil". Not stirring up anything just relaying info I have as to try and not mislead anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hink320

Reaction score
Amsoil Dominator is not race oil.

It definitely is racing oil, even says so on the package, and like Danbot has said it does not have the additives that prevent rust during storage. I run it in my high performance freestyle watercraft and fog the motor after every time I ride to prevent rust.

tdr1g.jpg

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
indy dan just posted on snowest that he is telling everyone with his longrod to suck the mineral oil out of the tanks and add polaris ves synthetic oil. He said to run mineral for better lube for the pistons but is now thinking its too thick for the crank bearing and is maybe why there is more crank bearing failures. the new cat ctec oil is like water at room temp.

THRILL_SEEKER

Reaction score
It definitely is racing oil, even says so on the package, and like Danbot has said it does not have the additives that prevent rust during storage. I run it in my high performance freestyle watercraft and fog the motor after every time I ride to prevent rust.

View attachment 180149

I stand corrected then. Been a while since I used Amsoil and I thought I remembered the race oil being called just that, race oil!

Top Bottom