valmont rcmp doing trailer inspection

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...all of a sudden safety takes a lot more importance than some rich jerk from alberta getting his truck and toys ripped off.

Huh??? And here I thought the purpose of the RCMP was to watch over all Albertan's toys.:rolleyes:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry little buddy, i can come up with a sarcastic dick comment for just about anything but this one. Twenty minutes working on brakes can prevent a lifetime of regret, misery and nightmares

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry that you guys have got fined. It is a beotch to have to pay. Find out the rules and follow them and there will be no fines. There really is no excuse for trailer brakes not working. Rules are to protect us and our families. Play safe!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a trailer that works!! a little off topic but when i haul equipment on our 53' sliding axle or any trailer i ALWAYS make sure the deck is swept off!! some think, ahh a couple rocks or some dirt no big deal BUT be the guy with a new windshield and get a rock!! or for me the "what ifs" bother me the most, what if that clump of dirt or a rock shatters a windshield causing the driver to ditch or go into the oncoming lane? i have argued this with some before (mostly when i ask why they are too lazy to sweep thier decks!) what if that was your kid, wife, sister, brother, etc..... anyhow rant over, look at and maintain your trailers peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a trailer that works!! a little off topic but when i haul equipment on our 53' sliding axle or any trailer i ALWAYS make sure the deck is swept off!! some think, ahh a couple rocks or some dirt no big deal BUT be the guy with a new windshield and get a rock!! or for me the "what ifs" bother me the most, what if that clump of dirt or a rock shatters a windshield causing the driver to ditch or go into the oncoming lane? i have argued this with some before (mostly when i ask why they are too lazy to sweep thier decks!) what if that was your kid, wife, sister, brother, etc..... anyhow rant over, look at and maintain your trailers peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very well put

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless your hauling an atomic bomb and your brakes are glowing red a simple get that fixed for next time would suffice. from what ive read most 1 ton trucks can safely brake 9000lbs under their own brakes someone correct me if thats wrong

Pull it on the wrong road and you'll be wishing that 2000lb trailer had brakes even, that 1 ton truck doesn't do much good when the trailer passes you. Good luck stopping 9000lbs if someone cuts you off....a 1 ton will take a mile to stop 9000lbs without brakes. Or on a icy road that 9000lbs will pull your 1 ton around like a rag doll into the ditch. Feel free to do on a deserted road and try to stop it without the trailer brakes, then next time you'll make sure they work. I have pulled 3500lb trailer without brakes, it pushes the 1 ton pretty good, the only reason I will do it is because i've got a standard and can downshift, not a CHANCE on a auto it's asking for an accident.

I agree, it takes NO time to make sure the brakes are working. I am happy to see them out enforcing the laws. Your expensive sleds are riding on that trailer, how much is it worth to make sure it's working properly?!?! Or how much is that truck worth taking the chance of a trailer failure wrecking that truck and sleds?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take it easy i said i read that somewhere no idea if it was true of course i have trailer brakes on all my heavy duty trailers. i just dont on my lightweight flatdeck 4 place sled trailer

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't insisting anything, just saying, go try it for yourself in a controlled environment. I have pulled 10500lbs without working trailer brakes on a 1 ton dodge, it is not fun it literally takes a mile to stop from any speed.....Even a light 4 place, gotta weight what almost 4000lbs with sleds, some gear, etc? I would pull that in the summer without trailer brakes but the thing is on a icy road you need the trailer brakes regardless of weight incase the trailer isn't tracking the way it should, no other way to do it. Not to mention....if you get stopped the tickets.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could get the brakes fixed, have an inspection done to prove it, and go to court. I'd guess you'd have a good shot having the fines nuked or reduced if you showed compliance, as that is likely all they want.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The law enforcers probably deal with 95% dickheads and the "well-off wherever we live" people and maybe only 5% of the users of honey!

It just gets to an attitude on both the law enforcers and the victim. The victim before they leave town with things they have been meaning to doo since the last trip and the law enforcers with another weekend or day of the same unsafe attitude that they see in our crowd.

I've been there, done that, and don't need it anymore. Someone awhile back said we should use more honey and I totally agree. We should also pay more attention to detail (working lights, brakes, tie-downs, walk arounds, hitch pins, safety chains, allowable weights, etc). The DOT and the RCMP are just doing a job (how many times has that been said?) and I actually wish there were more of them to doo the job more consistently.

It doesn't matter where we live, whether we are rich or poor, nice guys or jerks, the finger pointing doesn't do anybody any good! Follow the rules and drive safe wherever we're from or wherever we're going.....:surrender:

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like the local rcmp are spending extra effort stopping vehicles hauling toys in particular. Over length on decks are a target right now also. How about unsafe old bombs driving our roads with bald tires & do the brakes work on them, we don't know because they get to drive right past the check point? Regular maintainance is a good thing & as with everything should maintained as required.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Our trailer gets checked everytime it gets hauled. Brakes are there for a reason especially on less than ideal roads (ice, sand/gravel). I'd rather have the trailer braking slightly before the truck rather than pushing it around.
Really takes no time to maitain your equipment. Just my :twocents:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
the thing the policia should be doin is a background check to see if the truck/trailer/sleds are stolen or not

Happened to me 3 or 4 years ago now just outta Spruce Grove. Got pulled over just to check serial numbers. :beer:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were stopped last year in valemount,three sleds on trailer,only one axle with brakes,factory built trailer,we thought we were ok,bc law in brakes at all wheels.know use a sled deck and 2 place trailer so don't have to worry about trailer brakes.with the three sleds on trailer and brakes on one axle police let us trailer back to town and get fixed,did not have to get towed.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup, I had a windshield smoked with a pile of gravel that jumped off the back of a loaded lowbed travelling in the opposite direction near PG. I chased down the truck, got the plate number and name on the door and when I reported it to ICBC they told me "too bad so sad". One day I will see that truck again.

On another note...when the trailer manufacturers build trailers they install brakes on every axle on the units that by law require brakes. "ALL" your brakes are required to be working, including the breakaway brakes whether or not the trailer is loaded or empty. If you build your own trailer you are responsible to ensure it has the required brakes on it when you build it. The old standby "it was working when we left officer" doesn't work with brakes. Brakes are simple to test and a pain in the a$$ to keep in safe working conditions at times, but it's for everyones safety. I don't know how many times I have asked people "when was the last time you tested your breakaway brakes" and they looked at me with a "wtf is that" look. If you don't know the safe operating rules or testing procedures of the equipment you are dragging down the highway then maybe you shouldn't be until you do a bit of learnin.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The law enforcers probably deal with 95% dickheads and the "well-off wherever we live" people and maybe only 5% of the users of honey!

It just gets to an attitude on both the law enforcers and the victim. The victim before they leave town with things they have been meaning to doo since the last trip and the law enforcers with another weekend or day of the same unsafe attitude that they see in our crowd.

I've been there, done that, and don't need it anymore. Someone awhile back said we should use more honey and I totally agree. We should also pay more attention to detail (working lights, brakes, tie-downs, walk arounds, hitch pins, safety chains, allowable weights, etc). The DOT and the RCMP are just doing a job (how many times has that been said?) and I actually wish there were more of them to doo the job more consistently.

It doesn't matter where we live, whether we are rich or poor, nice guys or jerks, the finger pointing doesn't do anybody any good! Follow the rules and drive safe wherever we're from or wherever we're going.....:surrender:

this is one of the best posts I have seen in a while! :beer: for you!

abcowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if you guys have heard that Alberta is trying to bring the same highway rules as B.C

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said pano dude! This is a good tread and well worth talking about! Simple. Follow the rules, no ticket. Play safe guys and gals. You can't understand a life altering incident intill it happens to you.

Top Bottom