UTV Tracks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, Barbie was my first girl friend, she give me the boot and took off in that van with my best friend,,, I sure miss him, Ha

Did the ban have whip antenna and flag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been ban in a Van signing in band in fairy land made of sand.

Maybe its a band in a Van who's been ban from sugar land by the hand of the man in a pan,,, oh boy oh boy these fast whips confuse me.

Back to utility slow farm quad, Ha.

Whoops,,, I mean "Ugly utility slow farm quads,,, "no disrespect too Ugly quads as all of ours fit this category." LOL

Lem

Edit: With tracks too stay in line with OP.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ontario re-lates are big on tracks, no whips as as they sold off live-stock years ago.

Whipping John Deere does no good, Ha.

Giddy up little doggy.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big whip east critters up a low hehe.. Stock onda slow fixer of whip west in treudy duedy dow....
Fact er lake west trails for another day ..,.
Appy news year

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes'er rzr, it's snowmobile / OHV trail net-work central out here if they get more snow that does not melt off. One of the T-CAT trail net-work "arms" is just North of us, it links up with the main snowmobile grid.

The relatives keep there sleds in the northern section that has better snow conditions up there, most track units they have here in the lower part of the province are bull-dozer, track-hoes, and track systems on tractors and combines,,, "industrial equipment."

Hope too get photos of some of it since they buy and make their own if needed, big family with lots on the go in all sectors of industry industrial, farming, hwy, recreation, and beyond, LOL.

Nabours down the road have track assembly factory plant if I re-call, kinda like industrial row of international trade of many things when farming is a part of the mix.

Zamboni ice machine factory is the next district / county over. No tracks on them yet Ha.

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First track ride in fluff pack snow that binds after packing.

Tracks rule in this stuff as rubber tire units are now finished along the Eastern Slopes of Alberta Rocky Mountains.

Open areas are 1' too 1' 1/2 with wind drift hard pack deeper than that. On & off compaction in most spots.

Snowed all day and it ain't letting up tonight as the cabin on wheels is under "6 of new at midnight, Ha.

Unit is jammed full of pack snow, took 10 minutes too clean up at end of ride, sticky and heavy.
It would of been tricky with SxS on cut-line turn arounds,,, small unit shines in cases like this.

Couple of spots the snow give way into hidden creek wash-outs, shovel and time too wiggle around worked, the heavy units would of needed extra time.

SxS would of been better on the open cut-blocks and re-turn road as the new snow was flying every-where, wind-screen became a peace of non-see threw ply-wood, Ha.

I expected from day one that tracks have their challenges, so weekends of snow in hard-pack or fluff, sticky and wet require changing mind set.

Re-turning on ones own hard-pack on side hills is tricky to as unit slides off pack tracks closer to bush line,,, if this is the case, remember too high-mark cut-line edge that allows one more room if returning on same cut-line.

Keen eyes on water wash outs hidden by snow-pack too as the winds filled in some spots that are hollow with downed logs.
These hiddens turn things ugly fast, LOL.

And keep an eye on sticky snow build-up as sticks can get jammed up front or at back causing issues if not spotted, walk arounds with hammer and long screw-driver too clear sticky -snow once coming out of cut-blocks and lines.

Only takes 2 minutes too de-ice build up.

Looks like day 2 is going too be all new with white stuff coming down.

Reporting from New Years cabin on wheels at snowed in campy spot, Ha

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idea on OHV tracks.

If cost is not a factor, then by all means get att'er, but for those of us that are frugal, here's another way too weigh the expenses over all.

Some OHV and Sled do this: Cost \ by hours of seat time.

Exp: $5000 for track kit \ by 100 snow hours = $50 per hour and so on...

The "normal" end season for average folk "could" be 300 hr = $16.66,,, this is where I will end off my season.

My GP bro is at 3000 ++ hours on year 4 under-way with maintance coming due.
$5000\ by 3000 ++ hrs = $1.66 per hour, Ha.
He will be less than a buck at winter season end, re-build will set him back about $400 ish.

His rubber tracks look close to new still. This is a plus.

All in ideas as I'll log in many miles for 2017.

Lem

PS: One "could" think of wear & tear on bearings, and steering links at 2/3 more then tires, "kinda" that is,,, these costs reflect on track kit idea too.

Last edited:

Megrizzly

Reaction score
A few things I'll add. My atv with tracks has roughly 8000km and about 800 hours, almost all of which with tracks and during all four seasons. From a cost perspective, the machine the tracks are bolted to will always cost more. Currently, my tracked atv would cost approximately $.70/km depreciation and $.20-$.25 in maintenance/parts. The tracks would be roughly $.25 depreciation and about $0.05 in parts. So roughly $1.25/km or $12.50 an hour over the course of 5 years. BTW, I keep on top of maintenance as a broke down machine, esp in tough conditions isn't worth it. Being cheap or frugal with tracked machines will get you into trouble.

For comparitive sake, flipping Argos every few years costs roughly $70/hr. At $70/hr, you better be using it in a situation where you need it.

Sleds are better at recreation or light utility such as a trapper. The tracks are extremely versatile and I consider them a Swiss army knife as they do lots of things well.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ Awesome brake-down, good idea that I'll keep track of as well.

I too started record keeping at young age, this has saved me multi thousands per year.

Can't use it I won't.
Cost too much it's out the door.

Ha, give up on some fun Hobbies over the years, land adventures is a keeper.

Lem

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a gooder idea to keep track of onda braker downs ... While drum still breakin....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ff1373ab51b4d4d32001cd922434bbf8.jpg

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine BRP know a bit about tracks .... And the power to turn them !

Top Bottom