UTV Tracks

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here run tracks in the winter on their quad or sxs? Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on them on how well they work and how hard they are on the units they go on.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have, on a ranger! Go slow, hard on drivetrain and front end. Careful on crusty snow, u break through u may be there a while. Good info on u tube,

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ X's 2 on the above.

Just getting under way with T-4 all season tracks on Onda 420 quad.

Do a quality job putting them on your self as it teaches you the know how's and adjustments and tools needed for the just incase.

Rigging is good, escape planks, Jack and slip chain with hook for lifting, chain saw, ice pick and good hard ground shovel, go slow, watch for icy hills, track pinch points, binding ruts, logs, hidden obstructions, and Grizzly Bear dens. LOL.

Look for flat lands too learn the learn, think things threw, plan on slow, and be prepared for puzzles that arise.

Lots of You Tube time as Larry mentioned too me.

I'm in my learning curve on rubber atv tracks, but doser cats, back hoes, husky 8's and Nod-wells in the North trained me gooder.

Farm boy as we learned long ago that 40 tons on wagon behind a rubber tire tractor on icy ground "could" spell disaster if one is not planning ahead.

Quad on tracks Is nill for ground pressure, and that means its like putting on skates and going onto a moto cross track that has been set up as a skating rink.

Good luck in your quest as I'll chime in when I find out more in the next few weeks of being cross threaded and sideways, Ha.

Imdoo'n I hope chimes in with opps moments, Ha.

Tracks have advantages, but thay have negatives too.

Glad to share in the learn.

Pal Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best thing i can suggest is you will not be able to keep up to a sled, don't even try. will cost $$$ in broken parts.

ice is worse than skating rink, you will spin and spin some more. ice screws do help. full enclosed cab is a must, you will be covered in snow. it will melt you will be wet and likely unhappy, not a fun time at -25 or lower. you will get stuck on downed trees, stumps rocks etc. don't spin the tracks or they can tear. bring short lengths of 2x6 to ramp over downed trees etc. short pieces of lath nailed to board works wonders. winch is your friend, and something to winch to! let your machine warm up till it is hot to the touch. check every nut n bolt and track tension until it stops stretching. best not to turn the steering until you get moving, it is way hard on steering components otherwise. we used the ranger up in ft mac for about 2 months , was interesting.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put in traction screws in my tires in my Ranger and it goes anywhere. It goes through 2'of snow without thinking about. I can't see the price of tracks compared to traction scenes being better. They are pricey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try 2 ft of hard crusty snow? or more.

tracks have their place, you just need to use them differently. we were on our own, no others close by. there were 4 can-ams that started out, but they never had more than 2 running at any time after the 2nd week. pulled parts off one to keep 2 going. oh well ca-ams are the shizzle. lol.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May be the canam guys had no " tech guys "... To ride along to fix things all the time .
Ya can't do much with out them I hear ....never go further than walking distance back to camp.
Rule of thumb .

What colour-whips did they have , were they LED ? A nice octane blue or a manta green would look great against that snowy back ground ? I bet ...

When the canams get miles ahead , you will still be able to see that swaying led whip flag , with that nice glow in the snow ....
Did they pin it ...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they were faster i will give you that, but again reminds me of the tortise and the hare.

all 4 were brand new off the show room floor, all four brand new tracks, stojans in GP. don't think i would by a spark plug from them! just my opinion from what i saw. thinking dealer set up was lacking. no idea though.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay get a different colour whip then ... Geez

e5fd11e69361a8ce27b994fe58c7181d.jpg

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a heads up! you were asked to let up on tech guy crap!!! up to you?

you should be workin on the Christmas list, yer running out of time.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo & studs and just pin it ... Tracks are for sleds ...

Last year was the first year I ran studs do to my crappy mega mayhem tires, they really really suck in the winter! I put in a few studs couldn't believe how good my machine worked. This year I have over 500+ screws in them lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, i tossed the mega mayhems, wouldn't recommend them to anyone. or anything mudlite built. the sti outback max and terminators,, recommend all the way. terminators on rangers work gooooood, no tread problems. sti are awesome also,

just my opinion.

Top Bottom