UTV Tracks

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, I bet that took a few years off the old body brother.

Same for me the past weekend kinda.

Dressed super warm for first day as it was dammed chilly, second day the same but in the trees at -21/ -23c,,, after log clearing I was down too my T-shirt, Ha didn't jacket up till the sun went down. Probably part of my Grizzly Bear family history,,, or should I say Wild Range Kow. Ha

Best time too see the lands when kold and frozen for Fram quad dude Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, I bet that took a few years off the old body brother.

Same for me the past weekend kinda.

Dressed super warm for first day as it was dammed chilly, second day the same but in the trees at -21/ -23c,,, after log clearing I was down too my T-shirt, Ha didn't jacket up till the sun went down. Probably part of my Grizzly Bear family history,,, or should I say Wild Range Kow. Ha

Best time too see the lands when kold and frozen for Fram quad dude Lem

thanks for small miracles there lem, that you were not down to your scivies!!! lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going to be a few going out west for a day ride, dec 27-29. pm for details, not a lot of snow as of yet, temps supposed to be not bad, should be a good time! no skeeters!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wished I could go, but plastic Kow has relieves in Southern Ontario that invited us out there, sounds like Donkey is coming to,,, oh boy,,, this will a trip for the book, Ha.

3 clowns jammed into one seat for 4 hours is almost too much.

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question time please:

So my quad with tracks has weak points, but it is light and nimble on its paws, agile, flexible.

So would a SxS 2 or 3 X's it weight be close to the same,,, my pal that came out on the weekend was wondering.

I suggested that scooping the terrain with eyes is the key too all units large or small and being wize to conditions and terrain "could" benefit the person with longevity and smooth year too year operations.

Example:

I'm on and off my quad on every trail making non obstructed route for tracks/unit,,, same could be for SxS.

Well-ness too do this threw-out the day/night all the time makes it easy on the unit and tracks.

Yes that it's alot of chain-saw time, but it leads to areas that are clear of debree for many miles once a person reaches the frozen swamp lands. Extra wide pipe-lines that are clear of fallen trees and small scrub brush timbers that the tracks sift over easy,,, no reason a SxS with tracks can't tag along where I adventure,,, drifted in roads that are not winter plowed are part of the mix too,,, even bush snowmobile trails allow tracked units too run smooth.

SxS tracked up would be some funner.

Small dog track dude Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had sleds from 1972 too 2012 as I lost the keys to them all, oh well, slow 18hp Onda with tracks will have to do. Ha.

Buddys not doing sled thing either as his days are long past, UTV track thing is up his ally since his frugal SxS is bought and paided for,

His plan is to long on miles like me in the off season local with in the area.

One licence plate for a all season unit works for us since we're sight seeing and Harvesting critters, farm type folk I guess.

Pin it was fun when young, Ha now it's poke along Joe as we age gracefully, LOL

Lem

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The faster you go the more sights you see ....
I heard that tracks wreck sxs's ... But it could be just be just BS or no regular maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes don, with the tracks you can go way further into area's an untracked will ever go. although as you say a bit of trail maintenance is always good.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled & pin it

The faster you go the more sights you see ....
I heard that tracks wreck sxs's ... But it could be just be just BS or no regular maintenance.

great info, now best to go back under your bridge before to many find out you have nothing to offer!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as to weight of Sxs veseus atv, the SxS can be double that of a Quad. your honda may be 500lbs ? no idea! with tracks snow, you and gear you may be pushing 900 plus? as an example: my ranger they claim is 1300lbs,?? tracks, gear , 2 guys, ec would likely be 1800 to 2000Lbs. i really don't know just a guess. i do know that in fresh snow it sinks down a lot. problem arose when we drove over crusty snow, if you broke through there was a major amount of shoveling involved to get back to good snow. not fun at all. we were lucky as there was on average 3-4 ft of snow, that didn't crust over a lot. lighter weight would be a bonus, as well as extra winch cable and pullies.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Imdoo'n as I now remember the tires on frozen sled tracks, all is good till the crust breaks and the quad now struggles too get back on top.

Yes too weight factor as my Onda would be around 635 with driver and gear at 900+ ish pounds, tracks will work good with this weight.

Pal has old school Rihno 2 seater with tip-box on the back,,, 32 hp motor if he recalls, Ha.
Guessing it would top out at 2000++ ish lbs said and done.

The crunch snow we have out West is forgiving as its 6" to 8" in many areas, but wind drift sections might be 3' and deeper, easy to get out so long as the unit is facing the low snow count areas,,, not gooder if length ways to it. LOL.

Light quad idea is good as my pal has same unit as I, so I'll pass on the 2 options too him.

Breaking threw with heavy unit or light is something too consider.

Thanks for the heads up on the reminder as I find out more info on what these tracks can do "and not do."

One thing I know is that atv tracks at Crow Foot Mountain in sugar snow would be bad, no base, compaction, boulders hidden out of sight and shallow ravines to de-send and climb out of,,, 18 hp Onda would struggle this time of year.

Good when it crunches in the spring time.

Thanks for info bro

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll pass along the ideas shared too long time Pal as he puts his game plan into play.

And yes, all ideas on this thread are experiences of "opinions of those of us that run them from past too the now and beyond."

Those of us coming from the industrial iron track systems have seen many improvements on them over the years, power sports track systems will see this on going improvements too, all good as we the end users get a chance too reap the rewards in use and handling along with over all cost buying a maintaining them.

My plan is too wear a few sets of them down over the next few years since the fun factor is way up there in good times off the beaten paths in life.

Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i have seen a few machines running around with worn down tracks, can only assume bigger power spinning on hard pack frozen gravel type surface? Don you may need to watch this as the "onda" has been known to growl at adversity!:D. you will be an old pro soon! what with riding all sorts of different terrain and riding area's. your experience and zest for adventure will help all who may venture forth into the wonderfull world of winter travel :D, lol. not sure how the cow will feel?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These have enough power to go anywhere ... Get some track speed up !
Especially the turbo model ....

Plus they are reliable & get you home !BRP know a thing or two about snow & tracks ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom