Turbo insurance

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to insure my turbo xm with collision in Saskatchewan, and so far looks like the only company willing to insure me is oasis for the crisp price of 1100.

Who are you guys insuring your turbo through?

And what are you paying?

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alrighty! Guess its just the going rate and you have to pay to play. Anyone else paying less for turbo insurance?

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Collision is over rated..... I have 27g of fire and theft and some liability for 400 bucks a year. All these totaled sleds is a bunch of bs if u can ride three years with no collisions your money ahead even if u need to change a bulk head or tunnel. That is If your not sacred to pop a few rivets.

Sent from my iPhone using

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was insuring my boosted 1200 through SGI for $780/yr. All depending on what you valued the machine at. Had a package policy. Can't recall if I was grandfathered in when they went away from insuring boosted stuff or not.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Collision is over rated..... I have 27g of fire and theft and some liability for 400 bucks a year. All these totaled sleds is a bunch of bs if u can ride three years with no collisions your money ahead even if u need to change a bulk head or tunnel. That is If your not sacred to pop a few rivets.

Yeah i'm not paying the collision so mine is about the same as yours. I thought to myself, "just dont be an idiot and you wont need collision" :)

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm not paying the collision so mine is about the same as yours. I thought to myself, "just dont be an idiot and you wont need collision" :)

Hahah I am thinking this as well. However, if one were to be in an accident while transporting your sled, either on a deck or trailer, and it gets damaged then collision insurance would cover it.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahah I am thinking this as well. However, if one were to be in an accident while transporting your sled, either on a deck or trailer, and it gets damaged then collision insurance would cover it.

Sent from my Shoe Phone
You should check on that because wawanesa told me that as long as its not under its own power it is covered like falling off trailer or out of the back of the truck.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should check on that because wawanesa told me that as long as its not under its own power it is covered like falling off trailer or out of the back of the truck.

Hmmm, I definitely will look into that more. My regular insurance broker quit the place I always deal with so I had some young 20 year old guy that hasn't come out of the closet yet telling me how things worked. Which I don't think he quite understands yet.

Now if a guy were to get into an accident and the sled was damaged which insurance would cover it?

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
The only way you have coverage on your sled while it is being transported is if you have collision on it. I know this for a fact because I hit a moose a couple of years back and did crazy damage to the truck(16k) and wrote off the trailer which was not covered by the truck policy but luckily the trailer had its own separate insurance on it (it was my buddies trailer). We then inquired about the sleds and our insurance agent showed us on paper that the sleds have to there own collision to be covered if an accident occurred during transport. I pay $460.00 a year for full coverage on my turbo polaris with a value of $20k and I have a file with receipts to show the mods I have done to my sled. I am insured through co-operators and have been treated very well there even with a big claim with the moose. I also now insure my trailer properly since the accident, it's cheap but most people are unaware that the vehicle does not cover a trailer unless you hit someone else with your trailer then the victim will be covered through liability I believe but your trailer is still not covered unless it has collision. Sorry for the long wind just trying to help.

Redbaronjg

Reaction score
The only way you have coverage on your sled while it is being transported is if you have collision on it. I know this for a fact because I hit a moose a couple of years back and did crazy damage to the truck(16k) and wrote off the trailer which was not covered by the truck policy but luckily the trailer had its own separate insurance on it (it was my buddies trailer). We then inquired about the sleds and our insurance agent showed us on paper that the sleds have to there own collision to be covered if an accident occurred during transport. I pay $460.00 a year for full coverage on my turbo polaris with a value of $20k and I have a file with receipts to show the mods I have done to my sled. I am insured through co-operators and have been treated very well there even with a big claim with the moose. I also now insure my trailer properly since the accident, it's cheap but most people are unaware that the vehicle does not cover a trailer unless you hit someone else with your trailer then the victim will be covered through liability I believe but your trailer is still not covered unless it has collision. Sorry for the long wind just trying to help.
Might depend on your policy specifics, but I pulled collision off my sled because I was assured by the company that any damage to the sled as a result of a vehicle collision is covered under the vehicles insurance. I would think this is a fairly standard rule, but maybe your vehicle policy was written differently, or maybe your insurance company was just trying to get out of paying? Either way, mine is covered.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might depend on your policy specifics, but I pulled collision off my sled because I was assured by the company that any damage to the sled as a result of a vehicle collision is covered under the vehicles insurance. I would think this is a fairly standard rule, but maybe your vehicle policy was written differently, or maybe your insurance company was just trying to get out of paying? Either way, mine is covered.

I was also told by my Insurance Broker the truck insurance covers my trailers, going to double check about the content of the trailers.....

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
The truck insurance does cover the trailer if you are at fault and cause damage to another vehicle or property but has to have collision for full coverage. Contents are not covered unless they are insured seperately. I doubt that policies are very different but I have an exceptional agent and she tells me that most agents either do not know this information or do not tell you. Do yourself a favour and check your insurance out, if it covers contents then you are set. My friend lost control of his truck a few years back and rolled the truck and trailer with sleds in it and had 0 coverage on the sleds and 3 of them were totalled and the fourth they repaired. It is in your best interest to know for sure rather than hope you do and find out the hard way. Full coverage on my enclosed trailer was less than $300.00 a year, why would'nt you?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ditto, I was told specifically that even if a tree falls on it in the mountains its still covered, even if I dont have collision because its not under its own power

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ditto, I was told specifically that even if a tree falls on it in the mountains its still covered, even if I dont have collision because its not under its own power

It it was my understanding that the contents or load you have is not covered in your vechicle policy. You must have commercial truck insurance. Same thing applies to trailer, it is not covered unless it is commercial.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just called my broker. He said lots of people do not understand how it works. .......And apparently I did not understand it as well... No your trailers ARE NOT covered nor are the contents of the trailer. The only thing that the truck carries over is if you are in an accident and your trailer or what is on your trailer hits something your liability of the truck will cover you.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I asked my broker

Hi Patrick
I have another question about insurance. If I were to get into a car accident while the snowmobile is being transported on a register and insured vehicle or a insured trailer how would I get coverage for that ?

Thanks

this was his reply

That is included in the coverage that you have under specified perils:

Specified Perils mean the only perils that are insured are those caused by fire, theft or attempted theft, lightning, windstorm, hail, or rising water, earthquake, explosion, riot or civil disturbance, falling or forced landing of aircraft or parts of aircraft, or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any kind of transport in, or upon which, a described insured automobile is being carried on land or water. Vandalism and glass damage are excluded.

Hope that helps.

I guess it depends on how the policy is worded.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
My understanding is that a trailer is covered with liability from the tow vehicle. The trailer needs its own insurance to be covered for damages from an at fault accident. If you have content insurance that only applies to items that can not be insured on their own. If you had a snowmobile and a TV in the trailer and rolled it the TV would be covered but not the sled, it will fall under its own policy.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
read your policy very carefully. insurance companies write in loop holes big enough to drive a Mack truck through.

Top Bottom