Gas fireplace to wood fireplace?

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a wood fireplace in my current house that ive never used.

What fails on them to start fires? Rusted out pipe, too much carbon? What should a guy be looking out for?

I've had houses in Revelstoke that ran off wood furnace and fuel oil, pellet stoves. You name it, but i have to say in Alberta natural gas fkn rules. But i wouldnt mind trying out the fire place..
I think most fires are caused by fire going up the chimney,there could be a ton of reasons for it,creosote build up,birds nest,spider webs,not cleaning,using dirty unseasoned wood,old chimney pipe isn’t as good as the new stuff but any neglected chimney is a hazard,I’d definitely check it out before first fire,best in the fall before snow is on the roof

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My insurance company wants WETT certification on the wood stove because it is considered an "appliance" as far as my fireplace goes they don't care, it's more for aesthetics than heat..... I don't understand the fire issue - big clay lined brick chimney, even if a birds nest or creosote were to catch fire in the chimney WTF is going to burn other than the available fuel until it burns out????

Woodstove is vented through a stovepipe inside a brick chimney - again what is in there to burn????

I was told by my home inspector that the fireplace/box/chimney/liner looked to be in excellent shape - had not been used in 20 years before we moved in. spoke with my insurer and was basically told that the fireplace is of no real concern - it does not get left burning unsupervised. The stove will burn 24/7 once it gets cold here - we are still hard pressed to dip below 0C overnight and the stove overheats the house. But it's the burning while away from home that makes them nervous.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My insurance company wants WETT certification on the wood stove because it is considered an "appliance" as far as my fireplace goes they don't care, it's more for aesthetics than heat..... I don't understand the fire issue - big clay lined brick chimney, even if a birds nest or creosote were to catch fire in the chimney WTF is going to burn other than the available fuel until it burns out????

Woodstove is vented through a stovepipe inside a brick chimney - again what is in there to burn????

I was told by my home inspector that the fireplace/box/chimney/liner looked to be in excellent shape - had not been used in 20 years before we moved in. spoke with my insurer and was basically told that the fireplace is of no real concern - it does not get left burning unsupervised. The stove will burn 24/7 once it gets cold here - we are still hard pressed to dip below 0C overnight and the stove overheats the house. But it's the burning while away from home that makes them nervous.

Get that clay liner hot enough and it will crack and break. Sometimes a chimney fire is enough to do that.

Other issue is clearances weren't always maintained outside that clay liner. The clay liner is fire proof, but a 2x4 right beside it isn't, get the liner hot enough and the wood could catch fire.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Get that clay liner hot enough and it will crack and break. Sometimes a chimney fire is enough to do that.

Other issue is clearances weren't always maintained outside that clay liner. The clay liner is fire proof, but a 2x4 right beside it isn't, get the liner hot enough and the wood could catch fire.

I have no 2x4's in there... It's a clay liner inside a brick chimney.....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no 2x4's in there... It's a clay liner inside a brick chimney.....

Most don't, and that's the way they are supposed to be.

But insurance companies have paid for enough total loss house fires caused by chimney fires that they ask for inspections to verify these issues don't exist.

Top Bottom