Gas fireplace to wood fireplace?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I’m kicking the idea around of changing out my gas fireplace to wood. Has anyone on here done so? How did your home insurance company treat you or was there any major hassles that way? I know lots of insurance companies either jack up your rate or won’t cover you if you mention a wood fireplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ins.co want a 500/yr premium just going from wood fireplace to wood stove. Imagine premium from gas to wood will be a decent jump.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all got to meet code and that jazz. Your going to need a WETT inspection for most insurance companies to insure it as well.

I had a wood stove installed in my basement 4 years ago. New install, new chimney, new stove and a WETT inspection. My house insurance went up $250/year with TD, and now with the co-operators its only $190/year more. I'm also in town close to a fire hydrant and fire department so my fire insurance rates are lower than most.

If you can't get answers here head over to hearth.com. There's a bunch of wood heating nerds there that can help you out.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re not near a professional fire station, especially if there’s none around (rural), your insurance is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
My house ins only went up 100/ year with my wood burner in the basement . Well worth it but it was 5000$ and that was a used Osburn stove ,new tile hearth pad ,and new chimney installed by myself and friends . The price of the venting has gone up as well It’s not cheap stuff

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta Wholesale Fireplace. 780. 991. 5921. He’s my best friend, name is Steve owns the place. 40 years in the business. Shoot him a text or a call let know Andrew sent you he’ll take care of it

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My house ins only went up 100/ year with my wood burner in the basement . Well worth it but it was 5000$ and that was a used Osburn stove ,new tile hearth pad ,and new chimney installed by myself and friends . The price of the venting has gone up as well It’s not cheap stuff
by the way how'd you make out with that last 5 alarm house fire? ha. jk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by the way how'd you make out with that last 5 alarm house fire? ha. jk
i would think going with a fireplace/stove as your primary home heat source might raise your insurance, just a guess. but definitely have it installed professionally

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an Osburn matrix woodstove installed in my house this spring. I had it installed by a certified installer and he completed the WETT inspection. I am in city limits and my house insurance went up 80 bucks a year. One thing to remember Trudum can't tax wood you cut yourself, all other forms of heat will see the ever rising carbon tax. My set-up was just shy of $8000 taxes in. Its a lot of money but when the power is out my house will be warm. Wood heat is a bit of work but nobody can "turn it off", and its such a nice heat.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an Osburn matrix woodstove installed in my house this spring. I had it installed by a certified installer and he completed the WETT inspection. I am in city limits and my house insurance went up 80 bucks a year. One thing to remember Trudum can't tax wood you cut yourself, all other forms of heat will see the ever rising carbon tax. My set-up was just shy of $8000 taxes in. Its a lot of money but when the power is out my house will be warm. Wood heat is a bit of work but nobody can "turn it off", and its such a nice heat.

How do you like yours? I have the same stove, but mine is a little different as it meets the EPA 2015 regulations instead of 2020 as it was installed in 2018. Depending on how much chimney you needed that's not a terrible price, I paid $7k for mine installed, but I have 32ft of exterior chimney plus the double wall in the house.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you like yours? I have the same stove, but mine is a little different as it meets the EPA 2015 regulations instead of 2020 as it was installed in 2018. Depending on how much chimney you needed that's not a terrible price, I paid $7k for mine installed, but I have 32ft of exterior chimney plus the double wall in the house.
It is more than adequate to heat my home. It burns a little more wood than a Blaze king but the Osburn is more user friendly for my wife. I like the extra height of the Matrix, its nice to not have a stove so low.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I burn 2 cords or less it doesn't effect my insurance, anything more then my insurance goes up alot. My furnace has yet to come on this year

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I burn 2 cords or less it doesn't effect my insurance, anything more then my insurance goes up alot. My furnace has yet to come on this year
Yup, when asked by insurance agent always say less than 2 cords lol

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have wood stove in basement that was installed professionally in 2014. Has the booklet with the installer's certification there. When I moved here it was never used, still clean. I tried it twice when i first moved here but not for 4 years now. Insurance company did assessment of my place reviewed my wood stove, said even if I don't use it as long as it's there, I will be paying a surcharge. I am in the restoration industry and there are a fair number of fires related to chimneys we are out on every year.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the self sufficiency of wood heat. The heat itself is amazing. Plus, there is nothing more therapeutic than cutting and splitting firewood.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Alberta Wholesale Fireplace. 780. 991. 5921. He’s my best friend, name is Steve owns the place. 40 years in the business. Shoot him a text or a call let know Andrew sent you he’ll take care of it
Does he sell stove pipe too Andrew?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we burn 3 -4 cords a year for the last 16 years would never be without it don't like listening to the furnace run wife and I can usually cut ,split, and stack all our wood in 3-5 days

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I prefer wood over gas, always have, if I can alleviate some of the running costs of natural gas, I will. Like others have said, I like the idea of the self-sufficiency of wood, its a pretty easy source of heat to have if the power goes out or my furnace sh!ts its pants. As well I enjoy the process of falling the tree, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood. Currently I have a ton of split firewood for my firepit in my backyard and getting supply is easy enough for me. It just costs me a bit of fuel and sweat. I'm going to reach out to my insurance agent and see what they say. I have a fire hydrant on my front lawn and the nearest fire station is a 5 min drive down the road from me.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a wood fireplace in my current house that ive never used.

What fails on them to start fires? Rusted out pipe, too much carbon? What should a guy be looking out for?

I've had houses in Revelstoke that ran off wood furnace and fuel oil, pellet stoves. You name it, but i have to say in Alberta natural gas fkn rules. But i wouldnt mind trying out the fire place..

Top Bottom