True 2013 sled weights

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That damn scoop on the nose of the xm doesn't help its cause thats for sure, a vent kit would eliminate close to half of that weight im sure. But ya, stock is stock...

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting...

This might be a new way of figuring out how to make a sled should shed snow better.

That cat sure did look clean, but the doo with the black looked definitely the worst.

so which rider looked like they had the most fun? :cool:

Last edited:

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it with a grain of salt, as it is marketing material. However, it is an excellent point proving the difference between manufacturers claimed weights, ready to ride weights, and what they actually weigh out on the snow.

I know the vent kit on my XMs make a big difference, but there is still a lot of snow and ice buildup on the back end. Maybe a guy should start spraying them with Pam!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the cooler on a 146" Summit ETEC the same length as a 163"?
I find it hard to believe that it needs to be as big as it is on a mountain sled. I'm sure halfing the amount of cooler on the tunnel would cut down on snow and ice and have a negligable effect on cooling just considering the amount of snow that gets tossed around in the pow. On a trail sled sure it needs to be that big especially with no scratchers.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very cool vid and , smart way to test weights. amazing the snow weight

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly so why does my 163" need a full foot longer cooler than a 146"? It's the same engine.
If you buy a long box crew cab truck you don't get a bigger cooler than a reg cab short box.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take ur airbox out n ull see why..the coolant hoses go into the cooler before the gas tank,,and to get any cooling they need the cooler to go to the end of the tunnel

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't the cooler in the XP tunnel is a structural thing?. Hard to taco that tunnel.

I think a great deal of the cooling is near the back

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take ur airbox out n ull see why..the coolant hoses go into the cooler before the gas tank,,and to get any cooling they need the cooler to go to the end of the tunnel
So is the cooler longer or just moved back?
I disagree with it having to be at the back to get any cooling too. I extended my '04 REV from a 144" to a 162" both the skid and the tunnel extended, never moved the cooler, and I had no issues. Temps were between 125 and 135 on average.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
longer,,really u never overheated with the extension..did.u have scratchers and a snow flap???

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at the vid again.. Just a tad doctored..

It's amazing how the snow doesn't even stick to the fabric storage bag on the cat... but the snow is just packed on the other 2 sleds behind the seats...

Just an observation..

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
longer,,really u never overheated with the extension..did.u have scratchers and a snow flap???

Yessir! Scratcher's always down on the trail and I had a long APP snow flap. I hit 140 once and that was spring riding in Whistler with alot of gravel/snow patches.
I believe if someone would tell Doo about scratchers and they would actually sell their mountain sleds with them on, we could get away with a shorter cooler. Or even just relocated farther back. I still see no point in making it longer.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gotta say though, I know my sled carries extra weight weight in ice and build up in the skid, but I have a hard time believing it adds up to almost 2 - 5 gallon pails of water.
And being that water is more dense than ice or snow, that would have to be a ridiculous amount of ice and snow and just by looking at it, I have a hard time believing all that ice and snow melted down would add up to 10 gal of water.
I'd like to see an independant test done.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its an issue for you to wrap around, why not spend the money and buy aftermarket?
Yessir! Scratcher's always down on the trail and I had a long APP snow flap. I hit 140 once and that was spring riding in Whistler with alot of gravel/snow patches.
I believe if someone would tell Doo about scratchers and they would actually sell their mountain sleds with them on, we could get away with a shorter cooler. Or even just relocated farther back. I still see no point in making it longer.

Top Bottom