Trucking Rates

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for $120/h. Not going to make a huge amount of money, but keep your customer happy.

If you were to do it for a business I would still say $120. The guy doing it for $120 will always be working,the one charging $135 will be the first one to stop working.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think guys are missing the point here ............... Just ask your custy what he thinks is fair , your biz is selling the Hay not trucking so I'm sure you can come to a figure. Your just adding value to selling your goods but it comes at a cost . What's your time worth plus cushion your sledding funds:)

exactly, tell him what you can haul it for, and let him make his decision, no sense in losing a 700 bale sale for a lousy $50.00.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slow down imdoon.....never said I was a trucker....If you read all my posts, I said that I talked to a few trucking outfits in the last few weeks regarding rates (all have lowboys) and was quoted in the mid 130's by all of them....where is the confusion in that?How you turn that in to me being full of shheeet and a piss poor business man is beyond my comprehension........chill out dude!! If $120/hour works for you.......then do it!
ya i understand the dif between 130 and 120, factor in 700 bales and the guy may start lookin elsewhere. i'd be resonable on the trucking and keep the deal. he has his own truck so he don't need to make double wages. and probaly not the same overhead. Office, office staff, etc. plus less truck inspections etc. plus he may sell more bales if his costs are resonable. so what do i know, i've run trucks and been in the business community for 25 yrs.

Last edited:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges I know...in NW BC we are paying $3-4/tonne hr for logging trucks. Take your net legal axle and X by the tonne hr rate to get your hourly. I.e. 5 axle at 29 tonnes would be $87-116/hr, 6 axle 36 tonnes $108-144/hr, etc. A low bed hauling your average piece of logging equipment (30-40T) is $140/hr.

If it's a 5 axle 120 seems like a good rate.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give me a call, i have a sliding axle trailer. ill pull all the straps and tilt the deck and unload in one swoop!! lol

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you go back to my reply to you and reread it you will see it had nothing to do with any other poster here, it explained why rates vary for different units and jobs but you ignored that fact and shot back with comparisons from a different type of hauling. As you said you know nothing about the business, but you do seem to feel that your opinion is more valuable than others here who are in the industry. Its false and uneducated information like you are posting that screws people up.

Whatever dude....charge what you want....dont care......just stating what some other company's quoted me......and yes, you are correct, I am NOT a trucker but I talked to three owners of trucking companies.....is their opinion valid??? Ok then, I was just stating what they said......why the personal attacks all the time?

If $120.00 works for you.....then do it!!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of my hay customers who needs me to haul some hay for him and I'm not sure what to charge for the trucking!I usually sell him my own hay and I just charge by the bale because he buys close to 700 a year so from me so I never really figured the trucking part out!I know what I can sell the bale for so both us are happy and I'm still making a profit.Not sure what trucking rates are on about a 25 mile or so haul.I haul 30 bales on my hi-boy.Little help!

You seem to be happy with the price per bale your getting. If yah don't want to loose your customer, discuss a rate for when the truck is working. Like 120 a hour, and than a separate rate for loading and unloading. Or because it's such a short haul, incorporate the trucking into the price per bale. Fuel isn't going to get cheaper. IF your truck averages 4mpg you'll burn approx 6.25 gallons or about 30 liters of fuel for the 25 mile trip, or about 40 bucks in fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever dude....charge what you want....dont care......just stating what some other company's quoted me......and yes, you are correct, I am NOT a trucker but I talked to three owners of trucking companies.....is their opinion valid??? Ok then, I was just stating what they said......why the personal attacks all the time?

If $120.00 works for you.....then do it!!!

Yeah, when I want hay hauled, I always call a lowbed operator for a quote. You still dont get the point do you.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I told him if it is easy to get around I'll charge by the bale but if I have to have my truck pulled at all I'll go by the hour.He's understanding about that because I said I'm not going to beat the sh.. out of my truck for nothing!My yard is hard is set up for trucks and trailers and it's tricky getting around with this weather!!Thanks for the ideas and sorry for getting any fights started!!Holy christ some guys are edgey!!LOL!!

RMK Rider

Reaction score
If you are hauling someones bales that aren't yours for a customer of yours with farm plates, insurance and fuel then you are actually hauling illegally ( for hire is commercial work ) so your rate will be cheaper than the going rate for hire because plates, fuel and insurance are way less than commercial. All you need to worry about is covering cost of fuel and making a little for wear on your unit. Unless you get caught. just my 2 cents worth

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got some road crush delivered yesterday. 2 yr old alluminum triple end dump and 1 year old kenworth, point is a fair bit of money tied up. Charged me $130 per hour for delivery.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know about the commercial thing so I'm just doing a load or two.I have a trucker down the road who rents out the one quarter of land he owns and runs farm plates and hauls from High Prairie to Medicine Hat!He hauled for me once and charged the sh.. out of me so I bought my own rig to haul my bales!!He had the balls to tie into me in a restaruant about stealing his customers!Same guys that bought from him and they were pissed at his prices!I explained to him that it was my own hay and what I was charging was what happy making a profit and I understood what the guy at the other end could live with!He really got pissed when I told him he didn't have too many repeat customers locally and that why he had to haul so far!He really started getting loud till I explained about his truck full of farm fuel is illegal doing commercial work year round and maybe a call to the dot's would shut him up!!Suddenly he starts kissing my azz and maybe he'll send some customers my way if I wanted!These couple of loads are more of a favor to my customer to keep him happy!I thought about doing some commercial work and I can't get the numbers to work enough.Owner/operator seems like a tough way to make a living with the rising costs!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know about the commercial thing so I'm just doing a load or two.I have a trucker down the road who rents out the one quarter of land he owns and runs farm plates and hauls from High Prairie to Medicine Hat!He hauled for me once and charged the sh.. out of me so I bought my own rig to haul my bales!!He had the balls to tie into me in a restaruant about stealing his customers!Same guys that bought from him and they were pissed at his prices!I explained to him that it was my own hay and what I was charging was what happy making a profit and I understood what the guy at the other end could live with!He really got pissed when I told him he didn't have too many repeat customers locally and that why he had to haul so far!He really started getting loud till I explained about his truck full of farm fuel is illegal doing commercial work year round and maybe a call to the dot's would shut him up!!Suddenly he starts kissing my azz and maybe he'll send some customers my way if I wanted!These couple of loads are more of a favor to my customer to keep him happy!I thought about doing some commercial work and I can't get the numbers to work enough.Owner/operator seems like a tough way to make a living with the rising costs!!!

kepp your customer happy rule #1, don't listen to others BS. if ya can do it at your #, do it. why worry about anyone else's opinion.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I pay $5 bale for handling ($2.50 load/$2.50 unload) and then $1.00 km

Cost me $109 tax in to have 12 bales delivered 38km.... This was in September 2011

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how long does it take to load and unload?
depends on the dude skinning the tractor. half hour to 45 mins loading, unloading in less than a half hour. it's strapping down that takes a lot of time, on my tri axle I could get 30+ bales on and it took almost an hour to get it secured.

Top Bottom