trip costs

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We never split gas , always split hotels. We take turns paying for dinner sometimes you get lucky sometimes not with the dinner bill lol. My business burns a lot of fuel so a tank here and there doesn’t matter, everyone in our group is self employed so no one cares about gas. It’s like a entrepreneur convention lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 3 of us that travel together. The one guy likes to take his rig all the time. Its amazing on fuel so I grab the rooms and the other guy grabs all the meals. Everybody is happy with that and we talk about the arrangement at the start of the year if we need to make tweaks.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had 10 of us out once and everyone took turns picking up tab for meals. I was never quick enough to pay for breaky so got stuck with a $500 tab at the caribou. Ouchy. No one offered to help.

The 4 of us that traveled together always took my wheels and we split the fuel. Other 3 usually tossed in some extra for wear and tear and washing rig after

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the tow rig costs more than just fuel. Wash and interior clean after and propane for the furnace. It adds up. Previous trip to last buddy said it took an hour and a half to get the film from pickle juice off his black truck. Lots of scrubbing. It ain't a sport for the faint of wallet

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the tow rig costs more than just fuel. Wash and interior clean after and propane for the furnace. It adds up. Previous trip to last buddy said it took an hour and a half to get the film from pickle juice off his black truck. Lots of scrubbing. It ain't a sport for the faint of wallet
Ah... the secret ingredient to a great caesar. Well, that and horseradish.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I pay for everything. All the meals, all the fuels. My kids are useless and haven’t found jobs yet. I guess they are only 12 and 9. I don’t travel with buddies anymore as I only sled from my cabin and all my stuff stays there so no more hauling sleds and gear and family always make the trip cause we all sled together.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay for everything. All the meals, all the fuels. My kids are useless and haven’t found jobs yet. I guess they are only 12 and 9. I don’t travel with buddies anymore as I only sled from my cabin and all my stuff stays there so no more hauling sleds and gear and family always make the trip cause we all sled together.
Nice. Can always count on family. Especially when that young. Lol
My kids are my go to nowadays as well.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm different than most. Most of my buddies wouldn't have a sledding life if it wasn't for me, I was fortunate enough to get into it when it was still cheap...ish, so I'm set up pretty good now. We split fuel for the most part, but that's about it. I drive 95% of the time, load everyone's ch!t up (I live out of town so it's just easier if I do it for the 10 min it takes) Wash everything when we get home, (I've got a place I can do it for free) unload, and store most of the sleds at my place, plus I do all the maintenance/repairs on everyone's sled (for beer of course).

I LOVE sledding so the way I see it, I'd be putting the wear on my truck anyways no matter who's with me, so If a couple guys wanna tag along, it makes my fuel bill that much cheaper, so the wear and tear doesn't bother me too much. I'm also mechanic so I love wrenching on stuff while hangin' out drinkin beers and I gladly do it for my crew. And more than anything I love my friends (most of which I've known since school) so time, and so be it, money, invested are both well spent in my mind.

I guess it more depends on how you feel about your friends

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm different than most. Most of my buddies wouldn't have a sledding life if it wasn't for me, I was fortunate enough to get into it when it was still cheap...ish, so I'm set up pretty good now. We split fuel for the most part, but that's about it. I drive 95% of the time, load everyone's ch!t up (I live out of town so it's just easier if I do it for the 10 min it takes) Wash everything when we get home, (I've got a place I can do it for free) unload, and store most of the sleds at my place, plus I do all the maintenance/repairs on everyone's sled (for beer of course).

I LOVE sledding so the way I see it, I'd be putting the wear on my truck anyways no matter who's with me, so If a couple guys wanna tag along, it makes my fuel bill that much cheaper, so the wear and tear doesn't bother me too much. I'm also mechanic so I love wrenching on stuff while hangin' out drinkin beers and I gladly do it for my crew. And more than anything I love my friends (most of which I've known since school) so time, and so be it, money, invested are both well spent in my mind.

I guess it more depends on how you feel about your friends

Thats a really good/positive way of looking at it. I wish i had people that i liked enough to think like that LOL

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah yes the old travels with the gang to the hills. Spent many years of my truck dragging my trailer with my kids and a buddy or two. Some people were always more reasonable than others. Today I love my deck on my truck and one of my sons riding shotgun. I’m buying the sleds, the fuel, the gear, the hotel, the beer, the dinner…….and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Meet friends at the hill, have a great time, go home and look after my own stuff. Priceless.

That being said, I learned from my father in law long ago: he who drives does not buy fuel. He already owns the truck and trailer and there is wear and tear when it gets home it needs to be washed and maintained. I’ll buy the gas any day cause I know exactly what it costs.

Go with what works.

Reactions: RXN

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having good riding partners is a nice.
Rode with a few guys that were really cheap.
Never pay for meals after I pick up a few.
Not wanting to take their truck making excuses why they can't. Splitting cost right down to 50 cents even though my truck and trailer still had to be washed.
Coming home with a full bottle because the other guys would pull thiers out first ( I don't drink so didn't effect me )
I not going to get rich or poor either way, just don't like to get screwed over.
Some people just think they have to one upping you.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brother and I go together it is a 50/50 on overall cost of rooms and gas, maybe a bit more by brother.

If we take some one along no fuel cost for the driver, it's 50/50 by the other two or other 3 if we fill truck.

If truck and trailer belong to the driver and 2 or more passengers there is no truck fuel or room costs to the driver.
He has to wash truck, trailer as service his full rig on his own later.
Truck leaves home full and goes home full from last gas station.
Terms explained up front.

This summer tires for my trailer were $1200.
Stabilizer hitch was $750
No friends in sight.
You ride with us that's how it is.

Full rigs are $$$$$, owners get the break.
I treat others the same when I'm not the driver.
Been riding 21 years in the hills, no rule changes needed yet.
It's definitely not a cheap game to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom