trip costs

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had one buddy who always wanted to take his truck and trailer so we would split the fuel between the rest of us. Not required just a good thing to do based on his investment and wear and tear. I have never have a problem paying for an extra tank of fuel if I didn’t drive, worth is to relax in passenger seat! To the OP those are shitty riding buddies if they are arguing over fuel cost in someone else’s truck.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends.
If you are with me from start to finish then yes. It's split 50/50
Some guys a little better at chipping in extra for wear and tear.

This past trip.
One of our group lives in Thunder Bay.
His sled stays at my place.
I picked him up at the Calgary Airport. Then on to Revy we went.
He left on the 15th. I stayed until the 21st.
Those 6 days and a long drive back with his sled on my truck, (she sucks fuel too) I didn't charge him. Only charge him the portion of the trip he was on.

While we had the house rented. We left his sled at the house. And another guy tossed his on my deck. (Only 2 days to hill and back). I didn't charge him for fuel. As he wouldn't have charged me if it was the other way around.

Even the Trip before. Dawizman picked me up, and we did a musical truck/trailer swap in Red Deer.
Didn't charge me for that part of the ride.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but how does everybody split costs when traveling together for a trip. Specifically gas?
I think if I start with a full tank on my dime I should have a full tank when I get home and everyone should split this cost. Same as with a rental car. Full when you pick it up, full when you bring it back. Some members of the group dispute this and argue they shouldnt have to pay for my fuel to drive around town when I get back.
What are you all's thoughts on this?
Only makes common sense that if you left with it full you should fill it up once your back intown before you drop your buds off. If you buddies cant figure that out I would find new riding buddies that have some common sense. ( were they smoking ch!t .....)

Reactions: RXN

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sat in the passenger seat A LOT in the first decade of riding... now the shoes on the other foot... I'm drivin', dragin' my trailer etc... and I'll gladly do it, just to get out. Times are tough right now, If a tank of fuel means a day with that buddy on the hill, I'll pay and drive! obviously not EVERY trip but you know what I'm sayin. Life's short, and you cant take it with you...

I usually fill up first to get a leg up on gettin' the fack outta dodge after work... end up with a half tank when I park at home...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time i gave someone a ride they didnt chip for gas, he locked my fkn keys in my truck at 3 valley gap, cost 150$ to get it unlocked and i paid for that too. Was so broke he couldnt come for super and was building a million dollar house in Revy lol

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have travelled with buddies who pay for all the gas. They say, "you have absorbed the wear and tear, we'll pay for gas!"
I know that is not the norm but it has happened.
At this point in my life, it is my wife and I or by myself. No pickups so to speak.
Like others have stated, look for new riding buds.
I agree. The guy supplying the truck should definitely pay for less than half the fuel.

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sat in the passenger seat A LOT in the first decade of riding... now the shoes on the other foot... I'm drivin', dragin' my trailer etc... and I'll gladly do it, just to get out. Times are tough right now, If a tank of fuel means a day with that buddy on the hill, I'll pay and drive! obviously not EVERY trip but you know what I'm sayin. Life's short, and you cant take it with you...

I usually fill up first to get a leg up on gettin' the fack outta dodge after work... end up with a half tank when I park at home...
Agree on this as well. The other week my buddy was strapped for cash and i wanted to get out to get my mind off other things. I paid for his fuel in sled and told him all good. He just had to bring his own lunch. He will get me back in the future no doubts about it.

Sometimes ya just gotta ride.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree on this as well. The other week my buddy was strapped for cash and i wanted to get out to get my mind off other things. I paid for his fuel in sled and told him all good. He just had to bring his own lunch. He will get me back in the future no doubts about it.

Sometimes ya just gotta ride.
Yup, done that too. But you knew what you were getting with that deal.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 years ago 4 in a truck it was a $1000 for me. That was a 5 day trip to Sicamous. 3 days riding and 2 days travel. I can only imagine the cost now.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask for someone to chip in, likely time to change crews. Most of the time it’s a race to who’s going to pay. And if it’s a issue, we always revert to rock, paper, scissors.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the power of e transfers everything is so quick. Can split each top up at time of top up of you really wanted.

The group I ride with are pretty stellar guys. Always trying to pay before any costs get added up. Lol. Room, food booze. Gas..

These past two trips we rented houses and cooked. Everyone got a night.
No one went cheap. Each meal was way overkill. And real tasty.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whoevers truck we take everyone on the trip chips in a extra 20-30 bucks takes care of the carwash and cleaning up the truck aswell. Whoever drives usually puts the hotel/fuel on there card and we split it up after. Once buddy is home and fills there truck back up usually a day or so later we get the total and send it or get our money back from the others. If tbere whining about u driving around town at most if u burnt the entire tank that 150 bucks which between 2-4 guys is still nothing tel them to quite being lil biches lol after a 20 g sled there whining a out 100 bucks give or take dont make sense to me. If someone is strapped for cash before the trip get it all sorted out before so then it doesnt cause a fight after

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you have great sledding partners if you’re shelling out cash… you know when you go to do it again you’ll get shutdown. They remember. They’ll also remember if you’re a cheapskate!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i am not in my truck the driver never takes out his wallet for fuel or much else, i am lucky my group is good, has not always been that way though. Learn’t if they like to sit on there wallet you probably can count on them when the chips are down.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but how does everybody split costs when traveling together for a trip. Specifically gas?
I think if I start with a full tank on my dime I should have a full tank when I get home and everyone should split this cost. Same as with a rental car. Full when you pick it up, full when you bring it back. Some members of the group dispute this and argue they shouldnt have to pay for my fuel to drive around town when I get back.
What are you all's thoughts on this?
My truck is full when we leave. Fill in Hinton and save this receipt. Then drive from Hinton to destination and back to Hinton, fill up. The first leg (home to Hinton) gets doubled (Hinton to home) and the fuel between the Hinton fill ups (driving to the destination and back to Hinton). Split evenly from there. Confused? LOL

Top Bottom