Trailer maintenance question

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How often should I be checking the breaks on my 4 place? Do you guys change your shackles and suspension components after a certain amount of time? My wheels have Zerks so I usually grease them every couple trips so not worried about bearings but was wondering if guys do anything else and how often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How often should I be checking the breaks on my 4 place? Do you guys change your shackles and suspension components after a certain amount of time? My wheels have Zerks so I usually grease them every couple trips so not worried about bearings but was wondering if guys do anything else and how often?

i would certainly run through the brake system at the beginning of the season. Depending on how old yours is the pads do last a long time but i just check all of the wiring and lift the wheels off the ground to make sure each one is functioning. I find the crappy wiring that comes out of the housings always breaks off at least once per year and your left with a couple wheels not working. almost a guarantee. really wish they had some more heavy duty wiring coming out of those hubs.

i tend to go a bit overboard but i dont care for the grease zerk systems as it gives you a false sense of not having to inspect anything. i Prefer to pull off each hub, clean, inspect, apply new bearing grease every second season, again, depends how many miles your putting on! But this also gives you a chance to check your brake pads and make sure the auto adjustment is working properly.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything Maxwell said and especially on the zerks.

Putting in a few shots of bearing grease a few times a year is fine as long as you pop the bearings out every two years to clean and repack or else you will pop the back seal and put grease into the drum.
Then you have no brakes until you clean drums out and some times replace drums from overheating.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
having worked on trailers for years like you said you greased your bearings through the grease nipple on the end of the spindle means you probably have no seal left and your brakes are covered with grease that was the dumbest thing the axle manufactures did was put a grease nipple on the end of the spindle if you are lucky you will only need new bearings and seal or all new backers because of the grease

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should do the math on your travels. For myself my trailer lives in valemount and might get 5000k a year going to the hill and back,

if you do 8 trips to revy from edmonton you could be 30,000km a year. Certainly makes a difference on what mainenance you should be performing.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should do the math on your travels. For myself my trailer lives in valemount and might get 5000k a year going to the hill and back,

if you do 8 trips to revy from edmonton you could be 30,000km a year. Certainly makes a difference on what mainenance you should be performing.

Do about 10 trips to Revy per season 1000km return so 10’000km a season,on third season with these bearings, breaks and shackles

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping them clean helps. Winter time rusts equipment fast.

Your not kidding that road grit and grime is the worst, I have a wall mounted hotsy so she gets cleaned after every trip and stored inside a heated shop after that.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most never even adjust the dam brakes . Bushings in springs as they wear out quick with road grim .
Shackles and bolts as well if trailer has t been looked at for awhile .
All cheap parts

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is don’t me an idiot like me and procrastinate doing it. I put off doing the maintenance on my horse trailer for months before I pulled into a rodeo with only 3 tires on my trailer. Hub and all were gone. Nut must’ve somehow backed off and the whole unit came off. Sheer laziness cost me $1200.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is don’t me an idiot like me and procrastinate doing it. I put off doing the maintenance on my horse trailer for months before I pulled into a rodeo with only 3 tires on my trailer. Hub and all were gone. Nut must’ve somehow backed off and the whole unit came off. Sheer laziness cost me $1200.

Forget the $1200; imagine being oncoming traffic and having that wheel assembly flying towards you! You're lucky the tire on the other axle didn't fail from being overloaded.

Do you trailer users do a temperature check of hubs when you stop? Can be a good indicator of a bearing in need of attention, or a dragging / non-functional brake.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and tips. There’s a local guy who’s great with trailers he does all the horse peoples around here, I’ll book it in for a service/ inspection I’d rather spend a couple bucks then have an issue on the pass and deal with the headache. Cheers and happy holidays all!

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forget the $1200; imagine being oncoming traffic and having that wheel assembly flying towards you! You're lucky the tire on the other axle didn't fail from being overloaded.

Do you trailer users do a temperature check of hubs when you stop? Can be a good indicator of a bearing in need of attention, or a dragging / non-functional brake.

Sorry yes. Agree wholeheartedly.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nahhhh,,, Just run it...

If 1 spindle breaks off just keep going...

Seen lots of tandem axle trailers missing wheels,,, brakes,,, spindles...

Maintenance is over rated !!!

If your tugging it with a Ford f-150 with 2 sleds on the deck you won't have too ever look back...

Pin It they say... Ha

Top Bottom