Track Slack?

-albertaboy-

Reaction score
hey guys got a couple questions i was hoping you could answer, i was told a while ago by a fellow snowmobiler that i should put more slack on my track then the factory settings because it will make the sled more snappy for when im playing in the powder. how true is this? what would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? and if it is safe and good to do this what would be a good setting for a 08 summit x 154

Rufus777

Reaction score
I think the disadvantage would be slipping the drivers on the track openings, the advantage, I couldn't see much of one except your suspension might stretch out a little deeper.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
loose track = less resistance = more track speed

to loose of track can create a wave effect on the top of the track ( or so some beleive ) and can actually rob power.

my advice since the new doos come factory with extros i would bring an adjusting wrench with you and lossen it up a little at a time and put it in the most extreme snow condition load ( heavy wet snow and climbing when you reach the peak of your climb this si when it will start to ratchet) if it ratchets tighten it up.

but honestly im sure the factory setting is fine. your not going to "feel" any differance here.

but hey every little bit helps i supose

Polaris_Fanatic

Reaction score
we run ours with a little more slack than factory because there is less resistance and your sliders dont wear as fast

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya know if ya bought a polaris you wouldnt need any more power j/k

i wouldnt think it would make that much difference anyhow

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol sliders wear out FASTER with more tension.

besides mountain riding you should be replacing them every season as most mountain riders dont run any wheels.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '08 XP, I run the track as loose as I can before it ratchets.

as for the wave (or "ballooning") theory, I think it's only the boosted gang that need worry about that....where track speeds are hitting triple digits with regularity. the only place a normal sled will have slack (under load) is the small area between leaving the drivers and the spot the track touches snow. from that point back, the tension of the drivers pulling the track around keeps it tight.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you're trying to squeak-out every ounce of 'extra' from an older sled, you shouldn't need to loosen it too much, but as was said earlier as long as it's not 'ratcheting', and you're not boosting or on NOS, you should be good to go to loosen the settings a bit!. And don't worry...you'll know if it's ratcheting:eek:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you're trying to squeak-out every ounce of 'extra' from an older sled, you shouldn't need to loosen it too much, but as was said earlier as long as it's not 'ratcheting', and you're not boosting or on NOS, you should be good to go to loosen the settings a bit!. And don't worry...you'll know if it's ratcheting:eek:

Ive always gone with loose as possible with out ratcheting. But you can always put on none ratcheting drivers

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is coming at a good time because I'm just changing my sliders and the manual say's to adjust to 1/2" with a 10 lb. weight on it. At what measurement does everyone recommend to start at??? I have a 04 Polaris RMK 600 with a 144" track. TIA

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always gone with loose as possible with out ratcheting. But you can always put on none ratcheting drivers

I always like to hedge my bets in terms of the NOS and turbo track speed capabilities leading to some tracks 'ballooning' because of the tremendous track speeds. I don't have either so I agree, as loose as possible without ratcheting doesn't hurt a bit:cool:.

Top Bottom