TKI drive shaft fix kit

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cdd185086b8acda31a8090560a9b77c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That must be an AI generated photo from the Polaris camp. ;)

Iron River Motorsports is the Alberta dealer for TKI.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are other pics floating around with stripped splines on the drive shaft stub.

The only part that’s holding that part of the tunnel from spreading is the aluminum tie rod in the front suspension, which I have seen break and take out the chaincase.

There is a crazy amount of spline slop in that coupler. When I put a one piece shaft in my sled I was able to see the slop for myself, and that oring is the only thing that tightened up the spline fit.
Now has the spline fit in 2024 been tightened up? I don’t know, I don’t own a 2024.

I do feel the 2024’s drivetrain will be a lot better than the 2023’s, but the driveshaft possibility remains the same.
Tom at TKI is providing a cheaper solution to the one piece driveshaft. I am not associated with TKI at all, but I feel it’s good for consumers to have options, and he developed a pretty good solution to one.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about those amazing BRP engineers eh.
Polaris has had that style drive shaft in the IQ and Dragons since 2005, maybe them cafe latte skinny jean rainbow colored T's should make a phone call to Polaris and ask "what is the secret on drive shafts MR. Polaris".
Man do I know about BRP and its engineers after 10yrs, especially if you rock the boat.
HAHA, too hilarious, ignorance is bliss.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't brp have spme driveshaft issue back in 2008 or so as did Polaris as well?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't brp have spme driveshaft issue back in 2008 or so as did Polaris as well?
Back in 2008 Polaris was having issues very similar to what BRP is now experiencing with their driveshaft. They eventually resolved it.
BRP was using a solid shaft axle in 2008. We experimented with rifle drilling the axles but it wasn't excepted. I know this as I was part of the development team in 08.
BTW, rifle drilling the axle made them stronger.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was trying to remember that, I think the brake side of the driveshaft was letting go on the spline insert and you would have no brakes. A buddy of mine had that happen to his 08.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about those amazing BRP engineers eh.
Polaris has had that style drive shaft in the IQ and Dragons since 2005, maybe them cafe latte skinny jean rainbow colored T's should make a phone call to Polaris and ask "what is the secret on drive shafts MR. Polaris".
Man do I know about BRP and its engineers after 10yrs, especially if you rock the boat.
HAHA, too hilarious, ignorance is bliss.
I might have an old Polaris drive shaft clamp kicking around. Just say'n. ;)

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in 2008 Polaris was having issues very similar to what BRP is now experiencing with their driveshaft. They eventually resolved it.
BRP was using a solid shaft axle in 2008. We experimented with rifle drilling the axles but it wasn't excepted. I know this as I was part of the development team in 08.
BTW, rifle drilling the axle made them stronger.
Don't know what rifle drillin is but ski doo recalled about 18000 units in 2008 for driveshafts. was the development team aware of that?

Drive axle assembly can break​

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) of Valcourt, Que. has voluntarily recalled about 18,000 Ski-Doo snowmobiles, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
According to the recall notice, cracks can develop in the welded joints of the drive axle assembly of the snowmobile and can result in complete breakage. If this happens the track of the vehicle can unexpectedly lock, causing riders to be ejected off the vehicle or lose control and collide with bystanders, a fixed object or other vehicles.

This recall affects involves Ski-Doo model year 2008 and 2009 snowmobiles.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know what rifle drillin is but ski doo recalled about 18000 units in 2008 for driveshafts. was the development team aware of that?

Drive axle assembly can break​

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) of Valcourt, Que. has voluntarily recalled about 18,000 Ski-Doo snowmobiles, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
According to the recall notice, cracks can develop in the welded joints of the drive axle assembly of the snowmobile and can result in complete breakage. If this happens the track of the vehicle can unexpectedly lock, causing riders to be ejected off the vehicle or lose control and collide with bystanders, a fixed object or other vehicles.

This recall affects involves Ski-Doo model year 2008 and 2009 snowmobiles.
Yes, after the fact. BRP was aware of the axle issues way before the 08 production. That is what we tried to fix, plus a dozen other issues LOL.
The prototypes had bad vibrations and we pin pointed it to the axle design, we came up with a tested solution but BRP wanted nothing to do with it and was more interested in getting the XP models out and like BRP style, letting the cards fall where they may. In this case a recall.

Rifle drilling an axle is when you remove the core out of it, this is done on solid style axles, it adds strength and lightens them. Many HP axle's are design in this manner.
We did it as a quick easy solution to the problem, the original axle lacked good R&D for production and they were pushing production at all cost. Typical, thus why the XP was a POS with so many issues.
SOoo, how about them BRP engineers LOL

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, after the fact. BRP was aware of the axle issues way before the 08 production. That is what we tried to fix, plus a dozen other issues LOL.
The prototypes had bad vibrations and we pin pointed it to the axle design, we came up with a tested solution but BRP wanted nothing to do with it and was more interested in getting the XP models out and like BRP style, letting the cards fall where they may. In this case a recall.

Rifle drilling an axle is when you remove the core out of it, this is done on solid style axles, it adds strength and lightens them. Many HP axle's are design in this manner.
We did it as a quick easy solution to the problem, the original axle lacked good R&D for production and they were pushing production at all cost. Typical, thus why the XP was a POS with so many issues.
SOoo, how about them BRP engineers LOL
isnt that a hollow driveshaft then? Like all ski doos have had since 08?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a major issue. 10,000++ G5s and so far we have sourced one old blurry pick. Likely from a stump hit. 2023 doo chains and gears were ch!t, but have since been rectified.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda like the POS xp's i guess. Have one in the garage. 15 years old and still works fine.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would the fix kit help that ? It's only for holding the splines together with a soft collar that has lock tight to hold it from getting loose. I do think the solid shaft is better tho. The automotive industry has been using splined drive shafts for just a few years like since the model T.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would the fix kit help that ? It's only for holding the splines together with a soft collar that has lock tight to hold it from getting loose. I do think the solid shaft is better tho. The automotive industry has been using splined drive shafts for just a few years like since the model T.
Automotive drive lines don’t have a side load on them. And really the side load on a spline would be fine till there’s a little play on it, then I would think it’s going to hell in a hand basket in short order…

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive drive lines don’t have a side load on them. And really the side load on a spline would be fine till there’s a little play on it, then I would think it’s going to hell in a hand basket in short order…
The suspension moves up and down. Its a vertical load. So same thing.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A decent off road drive shaft is built a lot heavier duty than a snowmobile drive shaft though. That shaft in my pic probably weighs 30lbs.

Snowmobile drive shafts are hollow and built really light. Its not moving around too much though. Should work fine if its built strong enough.

Tight tolerances are important too. More slop will make things worse

Screenshot_20231217_121241_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the loctite is just used to hold the insert in place while the shoulder bolt is torqued down from the opposite side, otherwise it would just spin. that bolt is what holds it in place.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The fix kit turns the two piece shaft into a one piece driveshaft, and holds the splines coupling tighter together. That gives the tunnel more strength, and takes stress off the drive shaft splines when the side load of the track tension comes on it.
Pulled these off another forum. More technical talk over there.

One piece shaft, G5

900f62572cd45c71db7b3e2cd100fd4e.jpg

Two piece shaft.
f068f7cbbb04c1d383ace0d0a240dd8f.jpg

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF
Is doo superior engineering being challenged.
Every sled has isuues, including doo, now and in the past.
You can't have perfection for $30K.
Not even from doo.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF
Is doo superior engineering being challenged.
Every sled has isuues, including doo, now and in the past.
You can't have perfection for $30K.
Not even from doo.

lol, yep you bet it is. That’s why I have a one piece shaft in my G5. Not all engineering ideas are a good idea, like a carbon fiber sub for example.

Top Bottom