Tire monitor sensors

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2020 gmc 3500 srw come with sensors now. First one ton for me to have them as standard equipment.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
No can do dealers cannot delete safety equipment. Imagine you driving down the road blow a tire and head on with a school bus full of nuns.. dealer would be in big trouble if that came out!

I can’t even get dealer to lower my rears below 80 ish psi. They say it has to be ready for max GVW

My dealer changed my pressure parameters no questions asked

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No can do dealers cannot delete safety equipment. Imagine you driving down the road blow a tire and head on with a school bus full of nuns.. dealer would be in big trouble if that came out!

I can’t even get dealer to lower my rears below 80 ish psi. They say it has to be ready for max GVW
Do it all the time

Bring it down from 60-80 to 50-50 or 50-60 psi, f and r

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only have them in summer tires, dealer asked if I wanted them in my snows for an extra 200 bucks when I had them installed...I've gotten by for the past 42 years of driving without them, so I past.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't even want to open this can of BS on TPMS but here is my 002. IMO they are good for those peeps that cannot simply do a walk around and stealerships/tire shops to make extra $ off your back while you get to sit in there luxurious coffee lounge for hours while waiting to pay an exorbent fee. I get they are a safety feature but not for all of us. My HD doesn't have that nor my Ford or my GC the wife's does on the other hand what a PITA everytime the temp changes those things change. Also if you don't have a full set of take offs and if you go to diff tire shops to put winters on all of a sudden there is an issue Hmnn. They all of sudden try and charge you for these and they range from 40-150$ per tire. Simply put not for me and if i had a vehicle with these they would be coming off, i like my tire gauge/compressor and because i haul diff load sizes i can set my preesure where i want. Maybe instead of TPMS they should just put a CDI system on then all would be glorious u think lol!!:)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
When I bought a a set of winter rims/tires for our 4runner at Kal tire they asked me if I wanted sensors, would have been an extra $200. I declined and they informed me that they could sell me the new tires/rims without the sensors but I would have to install them myself, they are not legally allowed to install "subpar" equipment.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its amazing how manufactures and dealers can rip off all the granola, latte, city dwellers with little things on vehicles that most people that have a little common sense could figure out and on top of it you now have to pay for Air its amazing if some even know how to use the air machine after putting their 1.50 in it is only going to get where they will put air lines to the wheels like big trucks

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re; Kal Tire, these clowns IMO seek to do nothing but rip off and jack around the uninformed consumer. Had a flat fixed there and when it went flat again i could not get the wheel off because some monkey with an impact over torqued the nuts. Had to weld a socket over top the lug nut then use a breaker to get it off and broke the socket Wow. So i proceeded with step 2 and drilled out the lugs,(well over 2 hours of my time) installed new lugs and never went back. Also remember when they advertised free air, well don't ever go there because they won't let you use it even if you have your own pressure gauge, you must take a seat and they will send someone 2 get you and they will do it. Didn't know you needed a PHD to put air in a tire. I will not pay for air either simply ridiculous go to a truck stop where the air is free/maximum grade, or my garage. It's sad how some of these corporations misinform/dupe the public into thinking there way is the only way. Prefer to support the small guy business and have no issues with regards to any tire concerns and they are more than willing to accommodate a fella.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gets me is shop supplies. Just had my winter tires installed at Fountain Tire and got charged $12 for shop supplies? The price of soapy water to lube the beads has gone up I guess?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of over torquing lug nuts we had a tandem dully trailer come in with a missing wheel due to someone getting carried away with a impact wrench most lug nuts torque from 100-300 on most trailers air impact from 200-1200 their for taking bolts off not for replacement of a good torque wrench

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What gets me is shop supplies. Just had my winter tires installed at Fountain Tire and got charged $12 for shop supplies? The price of soapy water to lube the beads has gone up I guess?
Haha..........isn't that the truth. But this day and age they have to add masks and hand sanitizer along with gloves. I still think it is outrageous but that is the sign of the times and Trudopes agenda.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Speaking of over torquing lug nuts we had a tandem dully trailer come in with a missing wheel due to someone getting carried away with a impact wrench most lug nuts torque from 100-300 on most trailers air impact from 200-1200 their for taking bolts off not for replacement of a good torque wrench

It's quite easy to over torque I found out the hard way. I never bothered with a torque wrench up until a few years ago, I just figured tight is tight.... I have a 32" breaker bar I used to loosen the lugs and figured if it's good enough to take them off, it's good enough to tighten them up. That is until I broke 2 studs off the 4 runner, apparently 83ft/lb with a 32" breaker bar can be done with 2 fingers, leverage is an amazing thing.

Daughter bought me a 24" torque wrench and I was VERY surprized how little force was required for 96ft/lb on my Tundra.

Lots of folks don't know what they don't know, I was one of them.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

that is a lot.... but wheel weights cost $$ and supplies, like rags, grinders, wheel soap etc etc

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a lot.... but wheel weights cost $$ and supplies, like rags, grinders, wheel soap etc etc

For years and still , shops charge for mounting and balancing at x rate ?
Just another slip in cost if it can be gotten away with .
Surcharges that are not mentioned up front and then added to bill thinking people will just pay ?IMO .

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to watch fountain. They charged me for valve stems. Dont remember how much a stem. Not one was changed lol. Didn't fight me just refunded me.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. So what exactly is included in a price for change over and balance?
So when you the client, comes in for a winter - summer mounted rotation, but yet have aftermarket wheels for winter or summer, and the tech has to swap all the hardware, peel the stupid suck on center rings ect, get charged the same as a stock to stock swap

Guess once and a while it works out even

And yes, it's at least 50-50 having to spend extra 10-15 for this

Top Bottom