thundercat axels why do they break?

lacombebernats

Reaction score
Ok i really need some help with this one- i wanted a mud quad with lots of power - so the thundercat was a no brainer- i bought used and clutched out with the power comander and 30" silver backs on it - now after 100k on the new 35% betterer axel from articat i have broke both fronts at the tire - so do i put the gorilla axels on it and leave the tires or do i go back to the articat axel and down size my tires - what tire in the 28-30 inch range should i run or just sell this thing and buy something else?

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You go that big you're going to break stuff, I would love some 31" Laws but I can't afford to be replacing axles. You need to find a happy medium haha.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get rid of it and buy something else. My buddy has one and has had nothing but problems. We are working on getting the rear diff locked up so it doesn't do that slipping. He only has 28 outlaws and is breaking axles in the front too but now when he gets in the mud it just slips and chatters and don't go anywhere. My least favoirite bike was the brute force for breaking down but riding with my buddy and his thundercat he has never finished a ride with all axles or without electrical issues or blowing off oil cooler lines.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All cv joints will snap with a 75lb tire on a off set rim. There's a ton of cool tires out there now that Are way over kill. Light weight is the key. Also when I rode a cat I broke all my cv joints while trying to back up. Especially if you turn the bars while in reverse. Are your buddies busting in forward or reverse. They seem to be stronger going forward for some reason. Try some mudlight xxl 30". Or Zilla's in 30". These are just suggestions. Not solutions

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy cat sleds / not quads.....They don`t have the quad thing working ,there old 500/400 were great. Once Suzuki left ,they fell apart....

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
axels why do they break?

i have some experience on this subject... i have been lucky an only replaced one front off a mudpro 1000 .

heres my take on it... if they make it - u can break it. period.... there are some things that can speed up the failure process..

way over size tires... my take is this. go with one size larger than stock and consider the weight of the tires you buy....it makes a difference if your going to add 10-15 lbs per tire plus a very aggressive tread.... things will break

i think an aggressive 26 or 27 inch tire should get u in and out...remember it doesnt do u any good to put a 30 in tire in place of a 25 if you cant spin it when stuck,,,
i would say pretty much any after market tire is better than most stock tires..

question- do you know many people who are having axle issues with stock sizeS? so up size one and get more traction and save axle breakage...

question- if you have unbreakable axles...what do you suppose the next part in the equasion - yes thats right DIFFERENTIALS.... OR THE TABS OFF THE DIFFERENTIALS.....

i think that believe it or not the axles are designed to be the weak link...if they dont break what will?

most axle failures are front axles, most front axle failures occurr when front
differential is locked....... differential lock is designed for maximum traction at
LOW speed..... 15 km or slower.... will it work at high speeds ...... if a 1000 cc motor has the front diff locked and ur ripping through the skag.... and hit something solid....what is gonna slip....nothing....what will break ....ur axle ... maybe not the first time but definitely one will fail.... and it doesnt matter what name is on the side of the unit..... they all break .....if they didnt the aftermarket guys would have pages of listings for all applications....

so my thoughts are to down size the tires from the huge 30 ish tires that are so popular and stick with the 26- 28 at most.... or if u must have a 30 in tire...look for something that can flex abit.....

just my two cents..... of course snowandmudders still get a discount on parts from us and axles are included......just saying... we also sell the big bad azz tires if you must..:d:d:d

t

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: axels why do they break?

Sorry , but honestly i can`t see some one buying a Mud Pro 1000 and putting 26 inch tires on it....You must have careful riders up there because everyone i have ever talked to with a cat 1000 has either snapped axles or bevel gears...
28 to 31 inch tires is the norm for a MUD machine now of days, and they do sell it as a mud pro , this is just my take on it however though.....

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: axels why do they break?

i have some experience on this subject... i have been lucky an only replaced one front off a mudpro 1000 .

heres my take on it... if they make it - u can break it. period.... there are some things that can speed up the failure process..

way over size tires... my take is this. go with one size larger than stock and consider the weight of the tires you buy....it makes a difference if your going to add 10-15 lbs per tire plus a very aggressive tread.... things will break

i think an aggressive 26 or 27 inch tire should get u in and out...remember it doesnt do u any good to put a 30 in tire in place of a 25 if you cant spin it when stuck,,,
i would say pretty much any after market tire is better than most stock tires..

question- do you know many people who are having axle issues with stock sizeS? so up size one and get more traction and save axle breakage...

question- if you have unbreakable axles...what do you suppose the next part in the equasion - yes thats right DIFFERENTIALS.... OR THE TABS OFF THE DIFFERENTIALS.....

i think that believe it or not the axles are designed to be the weak link...if they dont break what will?

most axle failures are front axles, most front axle failures occurr when front
differential is locked....... differential lock is designed for maximum traction at
LOW speed..... 15 km or slower.... will it work at high speeds ...... if a 1000 cc motor has the front diff locked and ur ripping through the skag.... and hit something solid....what is gonna slip....nothing....what will break ....ur axle ... maybe not the first time but definitely one will fail.... and it doesnt matter what name is on the side of the unit..... they all break .....if they didnt the aftermarket guys would have pages of listings for all applications....

so my thoughts are to down size the tires from the huge 30 ish tires that are so popular and stick with the 26- 28 at most.... or if u must have a 30 in tire...look for something that can flex abit.....
just my two cents..... of course snowandmudders still get a discount on parts from us and axles are included......just saying... we also sell the big bad azz tires if you must..:d:d:d

t

Sorry , but honestly i can`t see some one buying a Mud Pro 1000 and putting 26 inch tires on it....You must have careful riders up there because everyone i have ever talked to with a cat 1000 has either snapped axles or bevel gears...
28 to 31 inch tires is the norm for a MUD machine now of days, and they do sell it as a mud pro , this is just my take on it however though.....

i guess it is a bit confusing..sorry... i didnt mean to take stock 28 off a mudpro i meant on non mudpro consider a smaller tire than a 30.... i agree it would be pretty much silly to go smaller than stock in any case.... sorry for the confusion...

i wont get into the he said she said with u... ofcourse machines with the largest engine are going tobe more prone to have parts break ....of course there are never any failures on the axles of 750 0r 800s HA HA ... pretty much any machine can break axles..n we all know it.... never had much of an issue though until the 500 cc size was passed....come to think of it the 300 suzuki king quads had some axle issues... hmm so ya they can all break...

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry...

Drive it,,break it..drink:beer::beer:

Never ending cycle.

Part of owning toys:beer::beer:

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a mud pro 1000 from you and broke two fronts as soon as he put the 30 mudzillas on and was in reverse. My other buddy broke his on his thundercat in reverse too. My opinion is stay away from the arctic cat quads buy an outlander or polaris XP or brute and use some thumb control.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem number 1- Artic Crap
Problem number 2- Thundercrap
Problem number 3- Buying an Artic Crap Thundercrap
Nuff said.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said. I broke all mine in reverse. So is there anyone who rides cat quad who likes it and has good luck. Stock tires ECt. And not broke anything. Let hear from happy cat owners.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day it comes down to throttle and maintenance. If your throttle only has one position you will break stuff, don't care what machine you have.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day it comes down to throttle and maintenance. If your throttle only has one position you will break stuff, don't care what machine you have.

That's true but my buddy with thundercat takes it easy on his and still breaks the axles easily when both my quads go through the same hole with bigger tires and probly harder on the throttle then him. I have broke axles but usually my own fault. He ordered some rhino axles for his thundercat and were hoping that will help.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Too much power not enough finesse......it not always about mashing throttle all that shows is who can throw the mud higher. I seen 20 year Hondas with stock tires go farther than big bore,big tired, snorkeled quad can go any day

Sometimes it just takes more brains than throttle

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem number 1- Artic Crap
Problem number 2- Thundercrap
Problem number 3- Buying an Artic Crap Thundercrap
Nuff said.

so i guess your brand never breaks axles...omg get serious boys..n girls... no can am or kawi s go through axles...really.... i guess it you guys need to teach everyone how to drive... lol...

not saying the cats dont break axles but so do yamaha and suzuki, i know this cause we sell them all. lol apparrently your brand has the majic ....

T

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He does have a lift now but was breaking axles before it but the lift didn't help last ride that's for sure. Yes I said I have broke axles before and I said it was my fault also. My girlfriend broke two on her king with 29.5 outlaws as well. She broke them cause she wasn't cleaning the grass off the boots and they tore. I'm just saying the thundercat axles broke very easy in my opinion and I understand they all break. My buddy broke one on his foreman 500 last time I rode with him also. I'm sure if I owned a dealer ship I would defend the units I sold but it would be hard to defend the thundercat after my experiences of riding it and riding with it weekend after weekend. The other buddy with the mud pro 1000 he bought from you with mudzillas has been a wicked machine he broke a couple axles but I know it was rider error on his part, other then that his bike has been flauless.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You forgot poo poo's break axles...

I broke a front one last trip,,,I was out of beer and trying to get back to camp fast...:beer::beer::d

Top Bottom