Thinking of moving to BC

prairiepulling

Reaction score
If you are on the very North East side of Moyie with the Cedar House then I am parked right beside you. Its a fifth wheel Trailer on 2 lots. Seen Sleds under tarps there this summer so possibly was yours.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC = Bring Cash

I agree, but when a guy wants to live in gods country I don't mind paying for it! Beats the flat land on the east side of them Rockies! :D

Last edited:

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Grand Forks and now live halfway between Nelson and Castlegar in Pass Creek Valley. Grand Forks is a fantastic little community, super tight knit and the people are extremely neighborly. It is definitely a great summer town, with two rivers and white sand beaches, and multiple little fishing lakes, but not much riding there. The population is around 4,000 in town, so amenities are limited, but the cost of living is fairly cheap. Any riding is still an hours drive, and the really epic stuff is almost 2.

Castlegar, Nelson, and Trail form a triangle, with Salmo in the centre. It's roughly 45 km to any three major centres from Salmo. Real Estate prices vary greatly between the three cities, as well as property taxes, and rental rates. Nelson is by far the most expensive, followed by Castlegar, then Trail, then Salmo. Every community offers a very different dynamic, and cultural diversity. You can visit the chamber pages to check out the history of each one.

I absolutely love the Pass Creek Valley. I have at least a dozen awesome riding places to chose from within a 20 minute drive of home, and the Slocan river is 10 minutes away in the summer.

Good luck with your move! BC is the best place on earth, and the Kootenays is the heart of it!!!!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Grand Forks and now live halfway between Nelson and Castlegar in Pass Creek Valley. Grand Forks is a fantastic little community, super tight knit and the people are extremely neighborly. It is definitely a great summer town, with two rivers and white sand beaches, and multiple little fishing lakes, but not much riding there. The population is around 4,000 in town, so amenities are limited, but the cost of living is fairly cheap. Any riding is still an hours drive, and the really epic stuff is almost 2.

Castlegar, Nelson, and Trail form a triangle, with Salmo in the centre. It's roughly 45 km to any three major centres from Salmo. Real Estate prices vary greatly between the three cities, as well as property taxes, and rental rates. Nelson is by far the most expensive, followed by Castlegar, then Trail, then Salmo. Every community offers a very different dynamic, and cultural diversity. You can visit the chamber pages to check out the history of each one.

I absolutely love the Pass Creek Valley. I have at least a dozen awesome riding places to chose from within a 20 minute drive of home, and the Slocan river is 10 minutes away in the summer.

Good luck with your move! BC is the best place on earth, and the Kootenays is the heart of it!!!!

Hey PowderPilot, maybe you can sell this guy a house, and show him all the honey spots :)

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure the ferry bill will change your mind. 1 truck with u ,ur wife and two kids will run you a hundo,never mind the 20 $ meals,biggest f'n scam ever..I lived in Nanaimo for years and would NEVER do that again...Good riding is um,,,not all that good,but thats all they have. You may but probably not in our life time see a winter like last year,when they had over 20 ft. Nothin worse than + 8 and pouring rain...Go check out Sayward,most elk on the island there...

may have an opportunity to relocate to Campbell River on the island.... heading out there on monday for a face to face interview....

I like the idea of a warmer climate yet close to mountains and having the boat in year round...

prairiepulling

Reaction score
moyiesledhead,
Our unit is not set up yet to stay in this winter, I thought there is a B&B in moyie if a fella wanted to come down for a ride.
Correct me if I am wrong - could always stay in Cranbrook too I guess.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I would likely rarely use the ferry...When we'd leave the island it would be by air.

I've heard from many a very different assessment of the snow and riding areas... I understand there is no riding in Campbell river but apparently out by Sayward, Gold river and Mt.Washington the riding is great, we also ski so having the resort close would be nice.

Im sure the ferry bill will change your mind. 1 truck with u ,ur wife and two kids will run you a hundo,never mind the 20 $ meals,biggest f'n scam ever..I lived in Nanaimo for years and would NEVER do that again...Good riding is um,,,not all that good,but thats all they have. You may but probably not in our life time see a winter like last year,when they had over 20 ft. Nothin worse than + 8 and pouring rain...Go check out Sayward,most elk on the island there...

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O
So I've been thinking of moving to bc and i was wondering where would be a decent place to live that had some good riding nearby. I'm limited to options as I would have to be situated close to work. So here are my options.

KELOWNA, OLIVER, GRAND FORKS, CRESTON, TRAIL, CASTLEGAR, KASLO, PRINCETON, PENTICTON

I guess im just wondering which one of these places would provide the best riding, and a good summer outdoor lifestyle wouldn't hurt either.

Of all the places that you have for options, I would choose Castelgar lots of good riding,fishing, and lakes nearby. What do you do for work??

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys can someone give me a little info on the price of truck insurance in BC.

Insurance rates vary depending where in the province you live, for quotes in the Kootenays area you could call Kootenay Insurance Services at 1-888-426-6657. Good luck.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys can someone give me a little info on the price of truck insurance in BC.

I've got the same truck as you (minus the lift) and I pay about $1400/year for all perils and I have 20+ years safe driving. ICBC is a rip off with their monopoly on third party liability insurance. You can save some money by buying your comprehensive and collision insurance through a private party.

Top Bottom