Thinking of moving to BC

uker7

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of moving to bc and i was wondering where would be a decent place to live that had some good riding nearby. I'm limited to options as I would have to be situated close to work. So here are my options.

KELOWNA, OLIVER, GRAND FORKS, CRESTON, TRAIL, CASTLEGAR, KASLO, PRINCETON, PENTICTON

I guess im just wondering which one of these places would provide the best riding, and a good summer outdoor lifestyle wouldn't hurt either.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking of moving to bc and i was wondering where would be a decent place to live that had some good riding nearby. I'm limited to options as I would have to be situated close to work. So here are my options.

KELOWNA, OLIVER, GRAND FORKS, CRESTON, TRAIL, CASTLEGAR, KASLO, PRINCETON, PENTICTON

I guess im just wondering which one of these places would provide the best riding, and a good summer outdoor lifestyle wouldn't hurt either.

Grand forks I can vouch for, as I lived there for 17 yrs! Find a job at the mill or insulation plant these days and a cheap place to live and your set. You have an hour drive to castlegar and area and GF is two hrs from kelowna. So riding is everywhere out there. GF has 4 honey spots with good riding all day long... Just my 2 cents...

GF spots are Gable bowls fun times in there, Pass creek Fun riding and home of the GF snowmobile club cabin, The Dog area just up past Christina lake heading to Blue Berry Paulson Pass, and 24 mile above the Pass heading towards castlegar. Plus a few more nice areas in and around GF.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are two things I look for in a town when I am considering moving there...

Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire. (although Lordco is nice as well)

I did some fairly decent research on BC towns about 1-2 years ago, looking at population density, employment rates, crime, housing, and so on and also had to consider my employment experience, unless I was willing to change and train in something new and Castlegar stood out as my best option. Its somewhat central for Nelson/Trail/Castlegar, has good access for both road and has a small airport. Housing, if you were willing to live just outside of town is more affordable.

GrandForks may be a great town but it just never entered my list due to employment options.

The only issue with BC is I would wait until that harmonized tax goes away completely. I have lived in BC before and BC does still stand for BringCash. I still plan on living in the Kootenay's at some point in the next few years.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are two things I look for in a town when I am considering moving there...

Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire. (although Lordco is nice as well)

I did some fairly decent research on BC towns about 1-2 years ago, looking at population density, employment rates, crime, housing, and so on and also had to consider my employment experience, unless I was willing to change and train in something new and Castlegar stood out as my best option. Its somewhat central for Nelson/Trail/Castlegar, has good access for both road and has a small airport. Housing, if you were willing to live just outside of town is more affordable.

GrandForks may be a great town but it just never entered my list due to employment options.

The only issue with BC is I would wait until that harmonized tax goes away completely. I have lived in BC before and BC does still stand for BringCash. I still plan on living in the Kootenay's at some point in the next few years.

HST is 12% and when it goes out we get GST + PST back it is also 12%. Sure there are some items you pay HST on and not GST/PST but it sure isn't enough of a difference to put off moving here until it is gone. If you are a small business you want to move here while it is still in actually.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife & I are thinking of moving to BC as well or west edge of AB. Looking at population as well. Reading up on some places with Factory's , Mills ect and the smell from them is there much. Also Like the Canadian Tire idea.
Whats Nelson like looks ok also read up on Castlegard. Not worried about work, retired, just doing a little carpentry. wife may do retail part time. Getting 5th wheel and travel and I want to sled more.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moyie!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 542

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do here in BC, you wouldn't want to live here, and you do know what BC stands for right? :D

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if you do seriously consider it, Castlegar may have cheap(er) housing but property taxes have been rising recently and will continue due to the mills having their industrial rates reduced. I suspect the same with Trail, Teck is going the same route but you really don't want to live right in Trail anyways! The outskirts (Fruitvale, Salmo) are quiet but can seem remote if you're used to living in the city.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife & I are thinking of moving to BC as well or west edge of AB. Looking at population as well. Reading up on some places with Factory's , Mills ect and the smell from them is there much. Also Like the Canadian Tire idea.
Whats Nelson like looks ok also read up on Castlegard. Not worried about work, retired, just doing a little carpentry. wife may do retail part time. Getting 5th wheel and travel and I want to sled more.

If you want small town living, look at Salmo!

And I was only joking about the HST and waiting for it to be abolished. I am sure the female premier here in AB will try to introduce a PST here once she spends all the money in the bank. :)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
may have an opportunity to relocate to Campbell River on the island.... heading out there on monday for a face to face interview....

I like the idea of a warmer climate yet close to mountains and having the boat in year round...

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moyie may be nice but there is no Timmy's there,lol gotta go to Cranbrook for the amenities. Timmy's, Canadian Tire, Lordco Walmart Etc.
Great riding 30 minutes any direction. Lots of lakes for summer too.

uker7

Reaction score
those moyie pictures were nice but unfortunately its not on the list. i'm kind-of limitied to that list because i would have to take call for work. Castlegar seems like it would be a good size and a not to bad location. i was looking at it on googlemaps and it looks like the river is blocked off by the damn one way and blocked off by the mill the other. it would be kinda cool to be able to hop in the boat and make it to some lakes. but i think i would rather have better mountain riding.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may have an opportunity to relocate to Campbell River on the island.... heading out there on monday for a face to face interview....

I like the idea of a warmer climate yet close to mountains and having the boat in year round...

can't see ya moving beer costs to much out there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

You'll like it Ian. The boating is amazing but there is a steep learning curve with the tides. Friggin' rocks are lurking also.....

I don't know what the pulp mill smells like these days but it you relocate think about the prevailing winds as some places in Campbell River have less smell than others.

Good luck and enjoy.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those moyie pictures were nice but unfortunately its not on the list. i'm kind-of limitied to that list because i would have to take call for work. Castlegar seems like it would be a good size and a not to bad location. i was looking at it on googlemaps and it looks like the river is blocked off by the damn one way and blocked off by the mill the other. it would be kinda cool to be able to hop in the boat and make it to some lakes. but i think i would rather have better mountain riding.

If you haven't been to many of these towns you need to jump in your vehicle and drive out and visit them first. Google maps will not give you a feel for the town.

A few years ago I was working 2 weeks on/off in the Crankbrook/Kimberly area. I grew tired of Cranny pretty quick. Sure it has all the ammenities but I found it to be a very transient town. I got to know some locals there and I have a buddy who lives there as well and they love it. But they also live on the outskirts. Marysville is nice and a quick jump to Cranbrook, Kimberly is nice as well but I am not sure I would live there.

Nelson is still a hippy town. Some people are happy with that. We spend a lot of time in the Nelson/Castlegar area in both the winter and summer as that is where my girlfriend is from. (after you meet people from there it explains a lot) haha. We would likely look for something between Nelson/Castlegar if we were in the position to move there.

Kootenycat had some good info to consider.

For me, if I was older, maybe like FernieSnow...Salmo would be my choice. Elkford is nice as well! But I have a few years to go. :)

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I have 3 places in mine so far Grand Forks,Nelson, & Castlegar. But open to more suggestion. Would like to be near a Canadian Tire, Lumber/Hardware place. within and hr of airport. Don't want to live right in town witin 10-20 mins.
Wife & I are taking a week this spring/summer and driving around and checking out some places, hope to be in new place for sledding season. Population 10,000 - 60,000 is big enough.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I have 3 places in mine so far Grand Forks,Nelson, & Castlegar. But open to more suggestion. Would like to be near a Canadian Tire, Lumber/Hardware place. within and hr of airport. Don't want to live right in town witin 10-20 mins.
Wife & I are taking a week this spring/summer and driving around and checking out some places, hope to be in new place for sledding season. Population 10,000 - 60,000 is big enough.

Lots of nice country anywhere in the Nelson\Castlegar region. Ask around about foggy days and how much winter sun in the neighbourhoods you look at though as most of the area consists of fairly tight valleys. Also where does the smell from pulp mill drift? GF is more desert like in climate.
None of them very high in population which can be good.

Top Bottom