the untold problem 2008 09 polaris 800 eng failures

GRD

Reaction score
I got a call from my dealer today. My sled was already there being serviced. The dealer is keeping it there until the update is added. :cool:

Billard

Reaction score
11 pages and not much good to say about the polaris. I have a 2003 800 Polaris and runs great, no problems at all. That being said, I am looking to buy a newer unit this year and wanted to stay with Polaris. Not going to do it, don't want to spend 9000-10000 bucks on something thats going to blow up and spend more time in my shop or the dealers than on snow.
Might have to go green (or orange as in the snow pro). Thanks for all the info.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 1100 miles on my dragon last year,not bad only 1 engine. This year will be better.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11 pages and not much good to say about the polaris. I have a 2003 800 Polaris and runs great, no problems at all. That being said, I am looking to buy a newer unit this year and wanted to stay with Polaris. Not going to do it, don't want to spend 9000-10000 bucks on something thats going to blow up and spend more time in my shop or the dealers than on snow.

get the 700 rmk if you want to go longtrack, about the same hp as your 03 800 but the new chassis.

The last year with my edge i was like how can it get better than this, man this sled is fun, carves so easy the front is so light. well it's not nearly as fun as my iq.

And if your going with cat get a last years model. that new 800 might have problems too with the light weight crank and higher hp, cats motors dont have a good history either

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat:) I have a 2001 800 polaris that has been 100% trouble free in 5000 miles(engine was redone at 4000miles as maintenance) I'm leaning more towards the M8 also but had a bad experience with Cat in the 96 then I switched to polaris in 97. I mite wait one more year and see how things go. Looks like polaris knows there is a problem now and are trying to fix it.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat:) I have a 2001 800 polaris that has been 100% trouble free in 5000 miles(engine was redone at 4000miles as maintenance) I'm leaning more towards the M8 also but had a bad experience with Cat in the 96 then I switched to polaris in 97. I mite wait one more year and see how things go. Looks like polaris knows there is a problem now and are trying to fix it.

i used to own a 00 700 rmk, piped, streched, few other mods and it climbed hard and went in the pow amazing, but my new D8 climbs laps around my old sled and it only has a can and intake, its easier to handle in the pow, and just all around awesome compared to my old beast.

saying so, cats are notorious for eating belts always have been, and the m8 gets eatin alive by a d8 and xps

like we say polaris should have done this update last year and put dual rings in and had better mapping and not cause us to wanna change brands.
i have a buddy who has a 09 xp and he likes to eat belts as it is STOCK
and we climbed in revy in boulder in 4ft of pow and we were neck n neck.

the polaris is awsome looking, handles amazing, feels incredibly light, the cat isnt to bad but the f-in doo looks like a space ship and its funny cause the older revs climb harder and faster than the new ones, seen it first hand and laughed buddy wasnt to happy when his xp got beat .

BUT MOST OF ALL ITS ALL RIDER.

i have 400 miles on my D8 and no sign of what anyone has had happen to them. then again i take care of my ch!t and warm it up properly, proper fuel, oil, proper break in, ect.. ive been seeing sum people just pull and ride, kinda wonder if they do this to a desiel truck too..

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used to own a 00 700 rmk, piped, streched, few other mods and it climbed hard and went in the pow amazing, but my new D8 climbs laps around my old sled and it only has a can and intake, its easier to handle in the pow, and just all around awesome compared to my old beast.

saying so, cats are notorious for eating belts always have been, and the m8 gets eatin alive by a d8 and xps

like we say polaris should have done this update last year and put dual rings in and had better mapping and not cause us to wanna change brands.
i have a buddy who has a 09 xp and he likes to eat belts as it is STOCK
and we climbed in revy in boulder in 4ft of pow and we were neck n neck.

the polaris is awsome looking, handles amazing, feels incredibly light, the cat isnt to bad but the f-in doo looks like a space ship and its funny cause the older revs climb harder and faster than the new ones, seen it first hand and laughed buddy wasnt to happy when his xp got beat .

BUT MOST OF ALL ITS ALL RIDER.

i have 400 miles on my D8 and no sign of what anyone has had happen to them. then again i take care of my ch!t and warm it up properly, proper fuel, oil, proper break in, ect.. ive been seeing sum people just pull and ride, kinda wonder if they do this to a desiel truck too..

With only 400 miles your are just getting to the mileage that many of these engines start to grenade. And if it is going to go, no amount of proper warm ups (however important) and taking it easy is going to save it. I like Polaris sleds as much as the next guy, but the bottom line is that Polaris f___ up. Every brand has owners that don’t know how to take care of their stuff, but there is no reason to put any blame on sled owners for this mess.:nono:

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled get the update tomorrow,#3 on the list,the demo and 1 crated sled got done 1st. I have the stock pipe but had the dealer install a MBRP can,wonder if it will now affect my warranty?

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is in getting the updates, first on the list, two motors later however. I just had a new shortblock put in. I put 30 miles on it and put it away for the season. Hopefully this season won't be as gay as the last. Time will tell :confused:

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys got or going to have your stock pipe kicking around???I need a couple of 08/09 800 stock pipe....so i can do an exchange program with my Turbo installs.....
Thx
BD

Got a stock pipe in Red Deer for some cash, if your interested.

yoggibear

Reaction score
i m glad for u they polaris put the kit in for me last year because my eng went but they will now have to put this new top in again and we are supposed to get an other 1 yr warranty when it gets done please e mail me pomm@telus.net i live in st.paul ty marcel

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BMP has done some dyno testing with the updated 800. Stock, 148 hp. Stock y pipe, stock muffler, and BMP pipe, 157.8 hp.

I found out that Dynotech will be doing their first dyno run with the updated motor in a week or two.:beer:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for comparison to the 148 hp for the stock updated engine, Dynotech got 145 hp from the stock 800 last winter. Its not the 154 hp advertised by Polaris, but this indicates the updated engine performs about the same or slightly better than the engine we had last year. As long as the new engine is reliable, I’ll be happy.

Top Bottom