Tex78's "Avy Warning" use your head thread

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Tex78's "Avy Warning" use your head thread

Canadian Avalanche Center already does that.....and people don't listen. What makes you think they'll listen to Tex, or anyone else for that matter? Human beings are stubborn creatures. Sometimes you have to be brutally blunt to get them to listen and change their thinking, but sadly it seems to only be effective AFTER a tragedy happens. I'll take some flack for this but, Tex has the balls to say what a lot of us including myself are thinking. Good on him for it. Is a condolence thread the right place for it? Beats me. I don't read them any more.

Flame on fellow sledders. I've got big shoulders. :beer:

Couldn't agree more.. keep reading about these tragedies and I am sorry but it is predictable that it will be said afterwards they were very experienced in avalanche terrain.. that doesnt seem true when multiple people are being caught. Taking an introdutory avalanche seminar doesnt make you experienced.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't know where I stand on this matter. On one hand I agree with Plio that a condolences thread should be left as thread to pass on respect the the family and friends of a passed sledder and on the other hand I agree with Tex. That this might be the place for a walk up call. You can look at it as respect in both cases. In Tex's case respect in that lets not let a life go to waste and allow others to learn from this tragic mishap. In Plio's case respect in passing on condolences without causing any extra pain.

A very touchy subject. But this thread is the right thread to discuss this matter without causing any extra pain to those that just lost a loved one.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.. keep reading about these tragedies and I am sorry but it is predictable that it will be said afterwards they were very experienced in avalanche terrain.. that doesnt seem true when multiple people are being caught. Taking an introdutory avalanche seminar doesnt make you experienced.

Taking a course like AST1/2 or having year's of experience in avy terrain or back country mean's nothing, when you don't have the proper respect that is needed out there.
A lot of this is about ATTITUDE, that leads to lack of respect. Unless people start looking at this in a humbling respectful way with a healthy fear of the environment they are venturing in to, we will be visiting this again. Maybe sooner then later.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Taking a course like AST1/2 or having year's of experience in avy terrain or back country mean's nothing, when you don't have the proper respect that is needed out there.
A lot of this is about ATTITUDE, that leads to lack of respect. Unless people start looking at this in a humbling respectful way with a healthy fear of the environment they are venturing in to, we will be visiting this again. Maybe sooner then later.

I've been sledding in the mountains since 1994. I started out as green as grass. Absolutely oblivious to the dangers out there. Over the years I began to see that there were dangers out there. I brought down a few avalanches in those years. None big enough to get me into trouble. Saw the aftermath of several large avalanches and realized that maybe it's time I start paying attention to where I am riding. Sat through several class room sessions on avalanche safety and awareness. Wasn't until a couple years ago that I formally got my AST1. I've never had to dig anyone out and hope to never have to. I think that you nailed it Lund. It's a matter of respect. but the thing about respect is that it has to be earned. Mother nature demands respect and I for one have learned that she will get it one way or another. I just hope that people can be as I have been to get the chance to give her the respect that she demands. If people go in with a half cocked attitude that "hey It won't happen to me, I've got the training" they will soon be humbled and hopefully mother nature cuts them some slack and just gives them a scare, so that they, like myself start to realize that they have to give here the respect that she demands.

Top Bottom