Taking kids on rides

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At campout around fire, conversation got onto carrying other peoples kids on a SxS, or atv. I have a few times, so far so good, but have been on the side a few times already, ruts, steep banks etc. Started to think about consequences, and heard about some things others have seen and done. From some reactions on a post, i was wondering what the general consensus is.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question...

We are asked many times when the seat is empty if someone can come along.

We decided since we rolled our other rzr 3 different times.

That we will not take anyone under 18.

Thats our rule. Also they must be belted in and wear a helmet. (Have you seen me drive)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am with Arff...beyond a 2mph putt putt around the camp, I will not take someones kid on my quad. The potential consequences are too scary.

I agree Dave. Potential consequences.

On Saturday at southfork. A guy and his kid ripping around the big clearing with a 1000 rzr. No seat belts or helmets. He rolled it. We went over and helped them. Lucky minor injuries.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This day and age I would agree with the fact of potential consequences. There is too much to lose with no real benefits nor rewards. One could be just sitting on the trail waiting and another dude could come out of nowhere and T-bone the passenger's side. Yes, it is the fault of the other driver but if something serious were to happen to the passenger (left a paraplegic type of thing), both drivers would be in court. It wouldn't be cheap......:noidea:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only was I will ride with kids is if they have all the protective gear, helmet, boots, chest protector etc, it blows me away that today there are parents that let kids ride without proper gear, people will spend 15 grand on a quad but wont spend 400 bucks to protect their child....I don't get it

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

My brother in law had a quad, Wanted to take his grand kid, i had no problem. But i said much the same, he went and bought a 4 seater.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take our kids out on the SXS most weekends.. I have a rzr 900, when the kids are on board i could replace it with an electric golf cart motor - we just putt around and enjoy getting out into the backcountry.. We also avoid large groups, mud boggers etc as i try to minimize risk..

Don't want to have anything happen to the kids or get them scared.. We keep to ourselves, low speeds and have a blast doing it..

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between your kids and some one else's... Mainly a lawsuit...
Sorry but we just don't want the responsibility of watching some one else's children in a some what
Dangerous situation.
Anything can happen out on the trail !! As a parent I would of never sent our kids with strangers offroading....

So if we say no , please don't be offended...

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this topic up also, as it is never really discussed enough......
You beat me too it ....lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i found also that the parent etc. is out having a great time and i have become a cheap babysitter, as such, my ride is compromised in a way. Didn't really mind that much but forgot about the legal ramifications. Man it don't take much to be upside down on a very leisurely trail ride.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our kids have never missed a ride since birth.....we've always had a place for them whether it's a sxs or quads....they have never had to hitch a ride with any body else. Plus there isn't a person in the world I trust enough with my kids life. I also don't want the responsibility of toting somebody else's children with me. My oldest daughter is own her own quad full time now, riding solo again is kinda nice.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for me i take it buy who im with... some people we camp with just don't have the coin for toys... i switch out my kids helmet for them and we take turns... good way to intro future riders to the sport... i don't get out with my oldest boy enough to justify not bringing the quad... i guess i just feel we enjoy the machine so much how could i not allow them that? I guess next time i will tell their parents to take them on my quad... i hate that but i hate the thought of a child sitting there staring at the machine with love in their eye and not getting a chance..... i was that kid! When i was 12 my neighbour took pitty on me and took me out riding on his suzuki ts 250 while his son road a 50... when i was 14 he gave me that bike....if it wasn't for him id never have learned to ride! To this day i find 2 wheels way more fun then 4

Just a warning for ANYONE WHO USE A KEMPER BOX OR SOMETHING SIMILAR WITH THEIR KIDS>>>>>

recently had a scare i never even thought of... my boy 4 loves to watch the tires roll through the mud... on a tight trail my dad ( almost handicapped behind us so we were going very slow) stopped me and said that my sons head grazed a passing tree as he was hanging it over the kemper box looking at the rear wheels... i was going very slow but could you imagine what if his head hooked that tree? scary after reading this post i may re think the whole kids on a quad thing..

to be honest i think of myself as a safe rider but never thought to put boots or chest protector on kids on my quad???? Is it just me or does everyone else just use a helmet?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our kids have never missed a ride since birth.....we've always had a place for them whether it's a sxs or quads....they have never had to hitch a ride with any body else. Plus there isn't a person in the world I trust enough with my kids life. I also don't want the responsibility of toting somebody else's children with me. My oldest daughter is own her own quad full time now, riding solo again is kinda nice.

same here.... my wife uses my kidney belt for my dirt bike and wraps our kids to the front of her when they were really small... helps her control the kids and the bike... keep in mind she just putts around up the trail and back...

Fire Medic

Reaction score
I have a Teryx4 and take my 2 boys riding. I was out this weekend and found the peer pressure to have some drinks on the trail overwhelming. I have a hard time saying no as I like to have fun but I need to remember I have others to protect. I don't mind filling the 4th seat when my kids r with me but if I don't have my own kids then I won't be taking any orhers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom