Swan Hills?

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My extended family has decided that we will be taking a family camping/atv trip to the Swan Hills area this summer. Any suggestions on a good place to camp. The local camp grounds look like they allow riding from them so that is a bonus. Would be nice to have a location that had a playground and maybe swimming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole town is pretty quad friendly, the trails run right through town so you can get to them from just about anywhere. I know you can go from Swan Hills all the way to Whitecourt on trails so you should have lots riding.
Good Luck, have fun

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Freeman Lake
•Open year round
•6 Sites
•Pump water, group camp shelter
•Reservations not accepted
•22 km SW of Swan Hills on Freeman Lake
•Road can be difficult with prolonged rain
•Direct access to trail system allowed, ATVers are reminded to respect all other campers and restrict operation of ATVs to direct trail access only
•Please remember alcohol consumption is not allowed by non-registered guest and not permitted in Day Use Area

hears a couple pics when i was out workin for pennwest in the area

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 117

Natique95

Reaction score
Is that lake also boating, wakeboard/skiing. Can you winter camp there. what services are avalible.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the camping in the winter time thing, the only boats i seen up there wear just some really little ones for fishing...

Swan Hills - Home

tells you all the good places to camp..... Center of Alberta is really nice too...

diehard

Reaction score
We are thinking of quadding up around Tapper Lee area. Does anyone know of random camping areas in the area and any knowledge on the type of trails to expect.:bike:

Black08Brute

Reaction score
Trapper leas is a good spot to go. There is quit a few camping spots and you can ride your quad from there. The best thing to do is get a trail map from the swan hills snowmobile club it works great for the area. I think the Honda shop in Barrhead sells them or the town of swan hills will have them. The last time I bought one it was two dollars. One thing two see if you havent been there before is the center of alberta. There is a pretty well marked trail right to the geografical center of alberta. There is a monument of a grizzly bear and a picinic table there.

The trails are a mix of skeg and hard pack. There is a mix of everything. You could spend a week and not hit you same trail or get bored.

campbound

Reaction score
Website
rgrasser.shawwebspace.ca
I tend to track my trails on my GPS, then I can produce maps to share. I just posted on of the Center of Alberta trail we did a few weeks back, 55km trail took us 7 hrs. Can send you another if you want.

Attachments

• Copy of Swan Hills 1 Map.jpg
    Copy of Swan Hills 1 Map.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

campbound

Reaction score
Website
rgrasser.shawwebspace.ca
Funny, I was told that before, really I was trying for Canada, but ran out of gas! This trail was 55km and took us 7hrs (with breaks). We rode 1 500 4x4, and 2 350 4x4's with crappy tires.

Reddragon816

Reaction score
I tend to track my trails on my GPS, then I can produce maps to share. I just posted on of the Center of Alberta trail we did a few weeks back, 55km trail took us 7 hrs. Can send you another if you want.

is this trail dirt bike do able? or dirt bike friendly or is it rutted out? with lots of skeg?

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a good mix of riding around Trappers Cabin and Center of Alberta, It used to be mostly muskeg but because of the dry years we have been having it is alot easier to get around. Was out there riding in April and never even put the rhino in 4x4, and you use to bairly be able to get out of the camp site in 2 wheel drive

skiloch

Reaction score
good to know , thanks for the info . I`ve been meaning to bike around the whitecourt area, I`m always up there for work.

Top Bottom